Which is the best Standalone Firewall?

KotaXor

I use Online Armor Free and is awesome.I invite you to try it.
I second this : Online Armor Free is the best (http://www.matousec.com/) and easy to use ! :dance2:
Ditto.

New version of Online Armor released today! (2.1.0.85) ;)

Hmmmmm...... Comodo or Online Armor??? Hard to choose....

• Replies 134
  • Views 41.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why don't you try them both (not at the same time of course ;) ) and decide yourself. I already did... :dance2:

Why don't you try them both (not at the same time of course :P ) and decide yourself. I already did... :P

And??? you feel Armor is the better one? I will try it too then!

Why don't you try them both (not at the same time of course :P ) and decide yourself. I already did... :P
And??? you feel Armor is the better one? I will try it too then!

Yes, IMHO it is definitely. If you read my post #25 you should have known...

Yes, IMHO it is definitely. If you read my post #25 you should have known...

OK! will try it and let you know how I find it!

After one hours of installation and configuration, I found that when trying to log to online games, it hangs when it tries to ask for your permission to access!

Not once but numerous times and for different games too.

Well, back to Comodo for me, at least it does not hang when it request for permission!

Online Armor look promising but just don't work for me.

Thanks anyway!!!! At least I know Comodo is still one of the best!!!

After one hours of installation and configuration, I found that when trying to log to online games, it hangs when it tries to ask for your permission to access!

Did you mark the websites and/or programs as Trusted in Online Armor?

Did you mark the websites and/or programs as Trusted in Online Armor?

Yes I did, but still request for permission and it cause the whole screen to hang....had the same problem with Outpost firewall latest version too, but not the older version though.

Never mind, back to Comodo, it does not have this problem...... it request for permission too, but does not hang, just click OK and remember this answer and the game will

starts.....

• 2 weeks later...
Online Armour Free is very good, found not yet a crack/serial for the Pro version.

It's very good, I'm impressed.

I like Comodo for Free & L'n'S for normal (cracked):sneaky:

------------------

Yes, Comodo Personal Firewall (now freeware) last version 3.0.18.309 it`s the one I recommend too!

cheers

Jofre

-------------------

Online Armour Free is very good, found not yet a crack/serial for the Pro version.

It's very good, I'm impressed.

I like Comodo for Free & L'n'S for normal (cracked):sneaky:

------------------

Yes, Comodo Personal Firewall (now freeware) last version 3.0.18.309 it`s the one I recommend too!

cheers

Jofre

-------------------

Has been using it for the past 2 to 3 weeks, it working well. Initially when it was learning, it can be a bit irritating, but as time past, it just run quietly.

Except when you tried to install software, it will start prompting you. Which is good!

• 1 month later...

Matousec firewall challenge

from these 2008 firewall test, it seem Eset Smart Security firewall do a very poor job by himself.

as poor as Windows one care...

so, unless the nod32 antivirus can detect malware...before they turn off the firewall, i'm worry...since i have it now.

from these tests, it seem i was better with Comodo firewall (my previous one), and nod32 antivirus...

2008-03-30: Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.21.329 has been retested, its vendor ordered a paid FWC testing with a belief that it smoothly passes all the tests. We are happy to announce that since today we have two firewalls(along with Online Armor Personal Firewall 2.1.0.119 Free) that managed to score 100% in Firewall Challenge.

Check This as well Comparisons for Online Armor FREE and Online Armor...

Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.21.329 for me :welcome:

2008-03-30: Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.21.329 has been retested, its vendor ordered a paid FWC testing with a belief that it smoothly passes all the tests. We are happy to announce that since today we have two firewalls(along with Online Armor Personal Firewall 2.1.0.119 Free) that managed to score 100% in Firewall Challenge.

Check This as well Comparisons for Online Armor FREE and Online Armor...

Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.21.329 for me :frusty:

I second that! Comodo Firewall Pro is just working fine!

Can i use Comodo Firewall Pro together with ESS 650?

You can if you disable ESS firewall, but then you could better take EAV and Comodo together which would cause no conflict when enabled at the same time.

Never use 2 firewalls at the same time.

Yeah, NEVER use 2 firewall or 2 AntiVirus on the same machine........ It does not give you double protection!

lonelystarz

thanks for the info..then what do you guys think is the best combination of AntiVirus and Firewall?

Eav and Comodo?

thanks for the info..then what do you guys think is the best combination of AntiVirus and Firewall?

Eav and Comodo?

Thats my setup at home ;)

Eav and Comodo?

I know EAV is good and i know the firewall in ESS isn't the best. Many say Comodo is, so i'd pick that if i were you, but in my case i have a router so i don't need a good software firewall. I just need to keep a trojan horse or anything like that from connecting to someone outside my network, which Eset's firewall does a great job at.

Eav and Comodo?

Ditto! EAV and Comodo! works for me.

lonelystarz

Using Eav 650 and Comodo firewall now..what do i need to do with the file in "My Pending File" in Comodo?

For me: Eset Smart Security + System Safety Monitor Free = one of best protection + lightest resources needed + high control.

ESS fail in "antileak firewall tests", but you can upgrade this with an HIPS program. I'm thinking the ESS firewall works OK and it's very configurable (advanced rules, control by application, IP ranges, etc), this is the original firewall works.

COMODO has good HIPS protection, but this cause a lot of problems and 2 system crash on my PC in the past. I'm likeing more another way for HIPS, than System Safety Monitor provides OK.

Another good & nice & HIPS is OnlineArmor, but Free Edition hasn't certain advanced control features.

For me: Eset Smart Security + System Safety Monitor Free = one of best protection + lightest resources needed + high control.

ESS fail in "antileak firewall tests", but you can upgrade this with an HIPS program. I'm thinking the ESS firewall works OK and it's very configurable (advanced rules, control by application, IP ranges, etc), this is the original firewall works.

Eset firewall gives you the 'power' to configure it any way you want it, but with great power comes great responsibility. If you don't configure it right (and you're not behind a hardware firewall provided by a router or a standalone hardware firewall) then the Automatic mode suits you best. This probably won't give you maximum security but maximum -0.00000001. This can be exploited by something that has already came onto your computer and tries to connect to it's source (like a trojan, for example), but it's highly unlikely that Eset's antivirus/antispyware module will miss it AND that exactly that what is missed will be able to connect through your firewall.

Since this is the case, i think Eset Smart Security is (one of) the best security solution for every person that is either less experienced in configuring their security solutions or someone who doesn't want to spend much time on doing so, but is able to. Even if you're not one of those two kinds of persons, then ESS is still a good security solution because you can make it the BEST security solution for YOUR computer by configuring it to your needs, with advanced rules and stuff. You just have to know how and if you don't, you fall into the first category (less experienced).

This is why i like ESS so much, i can recommend it to my friends(with average computer knowledge or less) without having doubts about them configuring it properly or myself having to do so and at the same time i can use it myself as a much more advanced security solution.

Archived