Which is the best Standalone Firewall?

KotaXor

I have been using Outpost firewall for a while, recently the software seem to get corrupted. I have try to reinstall it, but after a few weeks, it get corrupted again.

I wanted to upgrade to the latest version, but it seems to be not compatible.

I wanted to change firewall, but do not know which is a better and hardly firewall to change to.

Can someone recommend a good firewall? Is Comodo Firewall Pro (free) any good?

• Replies 134
  • Views 41.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think comodo free is a good firewall.as good as any of the free ones

I hope so, I have just install Comodo firewall version 3 and hope it works as good as Outpost.

But I read somewhere that ZoneAlarm is the best in all review, what do you think?

I have been using Outpost firewall for a while, recently the software seem to get corrupted. I have try to reinstall it, but after a few weeks, it get corrupted again.

I wanted to change firewall, but do not know which is a better and hardly firewall to change to.

im guessing they havent fix outpost still. that son of ... was the cause of my blue deaths 2 years ago. they even admitted about crashes on their site but no fix then.

as for comodo. hmmm wasnt very happy with it on my kids computer. i might try it again later. too many popups even with the settings changed. one i loved before was sygate but i dont think its support

ed anymore

im guessing they havent fix outpost still. that son of ... was the cause of my blue deaths 2 years ago. they even admitted about crashes on their site but no fix then.

as for comodo. hmmm wasnt very happy with it on my kids computer. i might try it again later. too many popups even with the settings changed. one i loved before was sygate but i dont think its support

ed anymore

Yeah, had problem with Outpost. Its just doesn't want to go away when I try to un-install, had to remove it from the registry finally. So far Comodo is working just fine, hope it is hardy

enough!

Had tried ZoneAlarm Pro also, but as with Outpost, it protect itself, and just does not want to be uninstalled.

Comodo is good, you might wanna try Jetico personal- neat stuff too...

I love Comodo. I used to use Zonelarm, then Outpost, then went back to Zonealarm. But Comodo's GUI is the bees knees.

einstürzende

Outposts and especially Zones HIPS are pieces of crap compared with full featured HIPS of Comodo or ProSecurity, FW component of Outpost is best (with exception of IP ranges - cannot be set in fw rules)...

KasperskysIS FW with ProactiveDefense is good with very clear PD verdict system, Its registry protection component is a masterpiece... (but it is not standalone, you must install at least AV on demand scanner)

Zone is pure shit and it is for children and old demented people...

BTW, I would like to hear some words for Online Armor, I never tried it...

The reason why I don't use suite is because, well......., most of my stuff are not "genuine". As such, it is not possible to get support when it fail! I do not want my AV and Firewall to fail

at the same time.

Using different stuff ensure that I have minimum protection. ;)

2. something version- not the 3. (couse it's already a bit bloated)

though 2. versions are hard to uninstall fully afterward...

Thanks!

Edited- myself now trying Ashampoo Pro version- seems ok as regarding useability; regarding varnuablity- will keep u posted!

Thanks!

Edited- myself now trying Ashampoo Pro version- seems ok as regarding useability; regarding varnuablity- will keep u posted!

Tried Ashampoo Pro recently, cause my PC to reboot every 20mins or so. Had to remove it, maybe its my PC being incompatible with Ashampoo.

Thanks!

Tried Ashampoo Pro recently, cause my PC to reboot every 20mins or so. Had to remove it, maybe its my PC being incompatible with Ashampoo.

:dance2: good one!

Regarding Ashampoo- so far so good! PC didnt restart and it didnt slow down pc in any way or shape or form... (rather concerning?- protection is kind of "suspect"), but less anoyng as rule creating time and time over using Jetico for proceccess like "svhost"... :dance2:

comodo is the best freeware fw at this moment i think...

but if you use a router you dont need a firewall, only for outgoing traffic (if you want to block that??)

i still use sygate firewall for my outgoing traffic

Using Comodo for the past week, performing well. Went to grc.com and use ShieldUp to test and the result was PASSED!

But.......recently there was an update for Comodo, did the update and the firewall has to re-learn all my process again! Fustrating!

Apparently it does not save your previous setting!

Other than that, so far its OK!

Online Armour Free is very good, found not yet a crack/serial for the Pro version.

It's very good, I'm impressed.

I like Comodo for Free & L'n'S for normal (cracked):sneaky:

??????Why are all the better firewall FREE????? :frusty:

Maybe cus they are not out 4 the $$ :dance2:

Ha ha! That's why we look for cracks for software till they become free!. :)

I use Online Armor Free and is awesome.I invite you to try it.
I second this : Online Armor Free is the best (http://www.matousec.com/) and easy to use ! :dance2:
Ditto.

New version of Online Armor released today! (2.1.0.85) :)

Archived