XP SP3 and detected cracks/patches etc

toyo

I thought not to install the RC stuff from M$ exactly for this reason. I would like to know from the ones that installed SP3 what cracks/patches/serials are detected, and what app installations became unusable. Thank you all :pope:

• Replies 50
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to know from the ones that installed SP3 what cracks/patches/serials are detected, and what app installations became unusable. Thank you all :pope:
with all due respect toyo... but what the hell are you talking about? :-)

AFAIK WinXP SP3 has no features that check for any kind of pirated third party software.

please elaborate.

I read that, so I thought I might ask some who have it installed, so I see if they really have problems. Are you 100% that these... features do not exist?

Style XP; many other (Imported)themes became uncompliant(graphics) even with restarting of theme service; Ace utilities patch could not be reapplied; folder access 2.0 pro (worked after reinstalling); alcosucuk120% and hell knows what else .... I will be rebuilding multiboot system...

Those that failed after restart and atempt to uninstall SP3 (The officiall). Basicly weather it has or not official crack detection build in it- it had changed too much in (I gather in Registry).

Are you 100% that these... features do not exist?
well, I haven't used this SP or analyzed it's code, so I'm not 100% sure. but I'm fairly sure.

incompatibilities might be one thing, but active detection of unwanted software is another thing.

I hope I'm right about this :-)

anyway here's what's in SP3 FYI:

- 1000+ security relevant patches

- minor updates of the security center

- some new cryptographic module (kernel)

- network access protection (from Vista & Server 2008)

- BITS v2.5

- management console v3.0

- Windows installer v3.1

- WPA2 support

- installation possible without a product key (30 day trial).

- something I might have forgotten

JunkInternetMail

I'm not questioning who get promoted around here or why but site staff ought to be more educated and informed before posting such questions/comments.

This is exactly how bad information spreads over the net.

FYI I have tested the SP3 RC 1 Build 3244 on over 10 systems (some my own and some belong to clients).

No software was disabled or stopped working. For the most part...SP3 is every update after SP2.

Just like in Vista and XP before...if you have turned on automatic updates you are getting the latest SP bit by bit.

The final installation will be very minor fixes never published and a roll up. Nothing has changed there regarding this fact.

Just like in Vista and XP before...if you have turned on automatic updates you are getting the latest SP bit by bit.
this is not true. e.g. half of the stuff I mentioned in post #5 is available only as a separate package (if at all) and is not included in Windows update.

[bitch_mode]talking about being informed... ;-)[/bitch_mode]

I'm not questioning who get promoted around here or why but site staff ought to be more educated and informed before posting such questions/comments.

This is exactly how bad information spreads over the net.

FYI I have tested the SP3 RC 1 Build 3244 on over 10 systems (some my own and some belong to clients).

No software was disabled or stopped working. For the most part...SP3 is every update after SP2.

The final installation will be very minor fixes never published and a roll up. Nothing has changed there regarding this fact.

You might be surprised to find that on that FIY installed PC's where no hmmm's... considering that on one I've tryed I had about all of them are hmm- half of them came up with issues

Have actualy tryed it?

I would love to know the result if so?

Thanks!

JunkInternetMail

@Atasas

I don't understand what you are saying...I HAVE tried SP3 and it installed on all the machines I work on personally and machines of my clients.

NO issues, before OR after.

Perhaps the issues are on machines with HACKED MS WGA? Or crippled installations where 3rd party kernel modifying software is used?

@martina

You're the one who is wrong...wtf do you think a SP is?

It's all the security updates and OS hotfixes + a few things not published publicly until the SP release.

How about actually going out in the world and working VARIOUS configurations before you go forum trolling in MSDN and TECH forums where IT "PROFESSIONALS" bitch and complain that MS's SPs are shitty b/c they can't always be easily integrated into their custom installs or pushed on networks?

Try actually installing SP3 before commenting on whether it works or not...and if you aren't sure DON'T INSTALL IT!

Wait 1 year after it's release like all skeptics of MS do.

Regarding your comment to post #5 the following things are all available to people using SP2 with legit keys and unhacked systems BEFORE SP3!

- REMOVED SP3 ONLY

- REMOVED SP3/Vista Hot Fix/Update ONLY

- BITS v2.5

- Windows installer v3.1

- WPA2 support

So that's 3 out of 8 not quite half!

And most of those things people don't or won't use and will be integrated into future updates anyhow.

The thing here is, you have some kinda attitude towards me because I'm pretty sure I know who you are from other boards we both visit.

Here's my advice, try helping people and stop being such a "cunt" towards me.

@martina

You're the one who is wrong...wtf do you think a SP is?

It's all the security updates and OS hotfixes + a few things not published publicly until the SP release.

sigh. I'm going to play this game this time.

you where the one saying WinXP SP3 is bit for bit what you get through automatic update. I then pointed out your mistake (with a little humor a might add). that's it. you made your point and I made mine. there's no need to get aggressive here. if you might feel the need to bash, this might not be the best place and time for it.

- REMOVED SP3 ONLY

- BITS v2.5

- Windows installer v3.1

- WPA2 support

So that's 3 out of 8 not quite half!

AFAIK WPA2 support is also available only as a separate package, but I might be wrong. at least this was the case a few weeks ago. I'm not sure about BITS, but I guess it's the same with that.

anyway, my point was to illustrate that not all features of SP3 are available through automatic update.

The thing here is, you have some kinda attitude towards me because I'm pretty sure I know who you are from other boards we both visit.

Here's my advice, try helping people and stop being such a "cunt" towards me.

I don't remember you from the top of my head, but I certainly don't have any bad feelings for you per se. but I don't like posts that are aggressive, useless, or badly misinformed. and people who are not willing to learn or can't accept a mistake.

so thanks for your advice, but maybe you should take your own advice instead. ATM, you are the one who behaves rather nonconstructive I'd say.

so here's the peace pipe *martina hands JunkInternetMail the peace pipe* watch out, it's hot.

ummmm.... play nice now.... :rockon:
I try to, but the big boys won't let me *sniffff* ;-)

@martina....the play nice comment was directed at junket :rockon:
I assumed as much, but I still couldn't pass the chance to make a bad joke ;-)

everything working fine for me.

3264 version.

2 things i run into....

1 . make sure your boot up/desktop theme is set to basic. *or it wont install*

2. if you have nod32 ESS installed *it doesnt allow access to kernal* weather its allowd or not. (pain in the ass)

SacredCultivator

@Sonar: Hmm's

"'1 . make sure your boot up/desktop theme is set to basic. *or it wont install*'"

I guess that could be a possibility as to why I can't get it to install on my System as I use Stardock products.. So in a snese I have to use everything default (BootUp/Logon/Cursors/Theme/etc.) then it might install right?

---

aEDIT:

Nvm, it seems I altered my registry that is where the installer 'errors' on me... oh well

JunkInternetMail... what part of my education are you finding insufficient? Do you want my job? I didn't applied for it, believe me. There are 3 admins, 2 moderators... if you are unhappy with what I'm doing and think you can do it better, be my guest. I mentioned I've read about this in 2-3 forums. I saw a part of you installed this. I don't need to read what a SP is, I have SPs installed for win&office and I read the necesarry stuf on M$ site. Are you unhappy I asked a question, being curious if there is truth in what I read elsewhere? After you take my job, you will easily have the posibility of deleting the thread.

I have it (3264 build) installed and have no trouble with WGA or OGA. I have also noticed an improved startup and shutdown time.

JunkInternetMail... what part of my education are you finding insufficient? Do you want my job? I didn't applied for it, believe me. There are 3 admins, 2 moderators... if you are unhappy with what I'm doing and think you can do it better, be my guest. I mentioned I've read about this in 2-3 forums. I saw a part of you installed this. I don't need to read what a SP is, I have SPs installed for win&office and I read the necesarry stuf on M$ site. Are you unhappy I asked a question, being curious if there is truth in what I read elsewhere? After you take my job, you will easily have the posibility of deleting the thread.

go get im t.admins job is always unappreciated.best to all of u this new year.your hard work is greatly appreciated.

Hi Toyo

I can say with 100% certainty that no SP ever built will detect cracks and/or disable anything other than an MS OS possibly.

Even MS has no jurisdiction or intent to start playing the "Computer Police" with anything other than their Flagship OS's. The entire wired world would scream in protest and Class Action suits would fly fast & furious if they ever tried a stunt like that, plus they really have no concern to monitor or police any third party program cracks anyway...it's not their business. They have no legal right to do so either as they can only take care of their own products.

As for compatibility issues after SP's...well, that's rather common really and it's the main reason large IT's won't integrate SP's until they're fully tested with everything their network interacts with. I work for my City and I'm very familiar with the IT infrastructure and with MS OS's, and as I said above...it's 100% certain that MS would not integrate any Crack detection techniques outside of MS OS validity checks.

And as for the member who questioned your "Staff" position after asking this question - Site staff at ANY Tech help sites are not promoted only for their Tech knowledge. I am the top Administrator at 4 online Tech sites with over 450,000 members total, and the MOST Important trait we look for in possible Staff promotions is definitely NOT Tech ability, it's the person's ability to interact with site members in a fair and pleasant manner, a good knowledge of the site's rules and structure, and the ability to defuse any tense situations without becoming a part of the problem themselves. While I know that having a "Staff" or "Moderator" monikor prompts some members to believe that these people are the "Techies" and have a tendency to make what they say carry more weight than others, most veteran forum members understand that this is not always the case...and I always tell my site staff to beware of what they say because of this very reason.

Still...it was an unwarranted comment and if that member ever saw how much work the staff does in the background, they would never want the job themselves....right Toyo?

Still...it was an unwarranted comment and if that member ever saw how much work the staff does in the background, they would never want the job themselves....right Toyo?

He has been working quite hard lately...

Check out the number of front page post he makes...

He has been working quite hard lately...

Check out the number of front page post he makes...

Hi Zeus

Yes, exactly my friend. Most site members have no idea just how much work goes on in the background and in the hidden Admin boards. Me...I know exactly how much work it takes for the Staff to maintain things to a point where nobody notices anything amiss. Making the forums seem like there's not much to do, actually takes a hellova lotta work ;)

I have total admiration for those who take on this Staff responsibility and do a damn good job of it too...Keep up the Good Work you guy's!!

Well, thx again for all your replies, and I will never-ever possibly know everything, not even from a far. So, considering I'm among friends, I maybe shooting a question now&then. Nevermind the work :rofl: Peace to all of you :blink:

That official

"Microsoft destroys user data"

ZDnet

and all of it for cleane / legit, unmodiffied windows...

yeah, I saw the news about Office 2003 SP3 too yesterday... backwards compatibility, what's that? :blink:

doesn't have much to do with WinXP SP3 though ;-)

So, considering I'm among friends, I maybe shooting a question now&then
ah, that's all right. that way we have the chance to boost our egos when we try to enlighten you ;-)

Archived