Mozilla Firefox 6.0 Final

Marik

No, so if you don't believe their Public FTP, you are not familiar with Mozilla releasing system. ^_^

Many reliable websites updated their sites to 6.0 Final version, like Softpedia, MajorGeeks, ...

Their own FTP Servers are the most official and reliable source to download latest versions, and if you don't get update for your 5.0.1 version, it's for that they have not made update package yet, it will arrive by one week. ;)

• Replies 83
  • Views 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I am a "release channel" user, and therefore will not see beta updates.

Yes, many here are also "release channel" users including myself.

Enjoy FF 6.0 ! :cheers:

No, so if you don't believe their Public FTP, you are not familiar with Mozilla releasing system. ^_^

Many reliable websites updated their sites to 6.0 Final version, like Softpedia, MajorGeeks, ...

Their own FTP Servers are the most official and reliable source to download latest versions, and if you don't get update for your 5.0.1 version, it's for that they have not made update package yet, it will arrive by one week. ;)

Updates are available now, but you have to do it manually. Just go to the update folder:

/pub/firefox/releases/6.0/update/win32/en-US

and download the appropriate .mar file. I used firefox-5.0.1-6.0.partial.mar.

Creade a folder c:\app-update

Change .mar file to "update" (no extension, no quotes) and copy it to the c:\app-update folder.

Copy "updater.exe" from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and put into c:\app-update

Open a command prompt as admin.

CD to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox>

RUN: C:\app-update\updater.exe c:\app-update

Updates are available now, but you have to do it manually. Just go to the update folder:

/pub/firefox/releases/6.0/update/win32/en-US

and download the appropriate .mar file. I used firefox-5.0.1-6.0.partial.mar.

Creade a folder c:\app-update

Change .mar file to "update" (no extension, no quotes) and copy it to the c:\app-update folder.

Copy "updater.exe" from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and put into c:\app-update

Open a command prompt as admin.

CD to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox>

RUN: C:\app-update\updater.exe c:\app-update

I meant a way he can update through the program itself. ;)

grouchysmurf

@grouchysmurf: see attached pic. You get the idea... :)

TY my friend, it does make sense, and I did update to 6 using an ftp link offered up in this thread.

I just have to remember that you "Beta" warriors will have the first word on it well before it is official.

I wonder if all of these version changes are going to hurt FF in the long run. I know that I will get

damn tired of it real quick.

ff6.jpg

I wonder if all of these version changes are going to hurt FF in the long run. I know that I will get damn tired of it real quick.

It's debatable, but you're not alone feeling like this. I am already tired and reverted to v 5.0.1 to keep my addons running. If FF would have been my primary browser (I only use it a few times/month at best), I would have felt VERY betrayed. Oh well. Sometimes big companies make so horribly wrong decisions, I can only assume that a big boss somewhere was thrilled by some fad and wanted it at any price, and the people below just had to go with it. Better to be like Chrome, than to lose your job.

• Administrator

90% of my addons are compatible here (and 100% working perfectly). Following Chrome is only 1/4th part of it. If you guys go to the mozilla wiki and read articles, you'll see how they are concentrating on particular features, working on them, making them perfect and releasing them. What used to happen before was that they used to add/change lot of things on every release, hence they had to deal with lot of bugs and other problems.

Having said that, Mozilla should be having addons compatibility in the mind. Lets see if they do something about it.

Having said that, Mozilla should be having addons compatibility in the mind. Lets see if they do something about it.

Yes, they do; all of my add-ons are working perfectly with 6 without any incompatibility, your incompatible addons might be not very popular/famous so their developers are lazy to update the addons, and keep it in mind that "force" an add-on to work does not make any problems in most cases. ;)

Addon devs should not be forced to recheck compatibility with FF each month. Maybe some would like to update once/year. Mozilla should not break addons so often, and when they must do it because some major engine update etc., they should announce this a few months earlier, so there is time for the addon devs to update.

simply add the following line in your prefs.js file located in %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxx.default

user_pref("extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0", false);

Even if some addons are not compatible they will work fine.

SyafaTahvBroentoeng

there were jetpack project to make firefox addon being compatible over all future versions of firefox

https://jetpack.mozillalabs.com/faq.html

but they still on the way.....

It says java console 7.0 is not compatible with firefox 6 , how do I solve this?Thanks

See my post in this thread here to remove Java console from Firefox extension and your Java plugins will still work.

Tested.

grouchysmurf

Addon devs should not be forced to recheck compatibility with FF each month. Maybe some would like to update once/year. Mozilla should not break addons so often, and when they must do it because some major engine update etc., they should announce this a few months earlier, so there is time for the addon devs to update.

I agree. Updating I do not mind so much, it is my add ons that take a beating.

I only use a few, but with every version change, one of them has been disabled.

As hannubys has displayed, the check can be negated, but I should not have to do this.

The trouble is, I f you turn off the check, it is remotely possible that you could fubar your

browser with an add on that really is not compatible. I guess I could use my "test" profile to check it out,

but again I really do not want to.

I think I will voice my concern over at Mozilla.

the link would work much better if you just removed the http://

ftp:// + ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/6.0/win32/en-US/

Also....this is what firefox is saying about Firefox 6 right now.

"Thanks for your interest in Firefox 6

We aren't quite finished qualifying Firefox 6 yet. You should check out the latest Beta.

When we're all done with Firefox 6 it will show up on Firefox.com."

grouchysmurf

I am going to bump this link that was given by OveR as it worked for me

and is still working as of one minute ago:

ftp link: ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/6.0/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%206.0.exe

It's not about enabling the incompatible-marked extensions. While it may work for some, for others it does nothing, they're just broken.

Archived