Need help with my wireless

Hottwire

I've had and seen this exact problem too many times to count.

The problem is most likely because you are using a Linksys built piece of shit.

Let me guess, is your unit 2-3 years old?

Router is like 5-7 months old adapter is not even 3 weeks old lol, but i wouldn't know if it is actually that far out of date.

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LeetPirate

Yea don't use the wide channel, it does not work good on many implementations. Not to mention most laptops and wifi devices only come with support for the 20MHz band and it is also better for backwards compatibility. If all your devices are 11n then you can use the wide band without as many issues.

Setting your wide channel to 11 will just truncate your bandwidth to <40Mhz anyway so perhaps that is why it appears to work better? Channel 11 becomes the new center of the 40Mhz bandwidth which limits the top portion up to channel 13 giving you only 30MHz bandwidth. Linksys' implementation is bad because the FCC permits the use of overlapping settings, but the documentation sucks so nobody is aware of how it really affects their wireless. Regular 20MHz 802.11n limits the speed to around 72-150Mbps (depending on other design characteristics such as number of spatial streams which is realized by the number of antennas). You only need to use 40Mhz to get 300Mbps and most devices don't support it mainly due to size constraints and the number of antennas required.

The tech support guy is correct to advise you to only use WPA2 with AES encryption. AES+TKIP may cause issues. The best settings work along the lower frequencies because cordless phones and microwaves interfere closest to channel 9. I would suggest you set your standard channel to 6 and wide channel to 4 if you want to have the 40Mhz bandwidth. But if you prefer to have a working wireless network then I suggest you forget about the 40Mhz bandwidth and stick with 20Mhz since in reality the router cpu and ram will saturate before even being able to sustain 300Mbps throughput across multiple devices. Based on your inSSIDer results you might have best results with channel 3 or 4 as the 20Mhz channel.

Archived