FlashBlock: avoid high CPU and memory usage in Firefox

shought

Have you ever noticed that after browsing for a while the 'plugin-container.exe' process takes up a lot of RAM and that when you load some pages its CPU usage is really high at first? For some reason Firefox will not free up that memory even after you've closed these pages, which is a pain in the ass, if you ask me.

FlashBlock will not allow you to free up that memory, but it will allow you to choose what Flash elements Firefox will load. This is especially helpful for webpages that contain a lot of videos or other Flash elements.

Sometimes Firefox hangs or even crashes when I open (poorly designed) pages with a lot of videos because the plugin-container file will start loading them all at virtually the same time, with FlashBlock this is no longer an issue! It also comes equipped with a whitelist for sites like YouTube and such ;) (YouTube has only one Flash element on the page, the player.)

FlashBlock Add-on Description

Edit: I just thought of this: this might also be very useful for people with slow connections (as Flash objects are often not essential to a webpage, but are mostly the largest elements on a page).

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first did my installations I got a HUGE surprise.. I had about 6 or 7 plugin-container.exe'srunning in my task manager... Disabled some plugins and that is down to one and only when I need it...

This would have been extremely useful back when there where tons of flash ads on pages everywhere... AdBlock Plus takes care of it mostly though now.. May check this out.. could be nice for security purposes as well.. information and data disclosure which can be done through Flash... may come to an end here... ( Of course given LSO protections in place as well. but referring to only loading what you want and not what could be hidden without your knowledge ) :thumbsup:

When I first did my installations I got a HUGE surprise.. I had about 6 or 7 plugin-container.exe'srunning in my task manager... Disabled some plugins and that is down to one and only when I need it...

This would have been extremely useful back when there where tons of flash ads on pages everywhere... AdBlock Plus takes care of it mostly though now.. May check this out.. could be nice for security purposes as well.. information and data disclosure which can be done through Flash... may come to an end here... ( Of course given LSO protections in place as well. but referring to only loading what you want and not what could be hidden without your knowledge ) :thumbsup:

you can try Firefox Plumber !!!

Yeah I am going to see what its about I downloaded it the other day when you posted.. :) Currently use BossKey extension.. for hiding minimizing FF.. Really though the main reason was the extra plugins which are not needed... no loss.. improvement even..

Yeah I am going to see what its about I downloaded it the other day when you posted.. :) Currently use BossKey extension.. for hiding minimizing FF.. Really though the main reason was the extra plugins which are not needed... no loss.. improvement even..

Bosskey, you're one ff3 <_<

had used flashblock for long time :rolleyes:

Actually no I am using it on Fx4.0.1. Boss Key 0.2.2... I had to dig through a site with text I could not read to find it.. LOL http://g.mozest.com/thread-25114-1-2 works fine.. I also happen to be running a few supposedly incompatible extensions.. with the help of my ingenuity ( hacking ).. LOL but its not one of them at the moment..

Actually no I am using it on Fx4.0.1. Boss Key 0.2.2... I had to dig through a site with text I could not read to find it.. LOL http://g.mozest.com/thread-25114-1-2 works fine.. I also happen to be running a few supposedly incompatible extensions.. with the help of my ingenuity ( hacking ).. LOL but its not one of them at the moment..

could you upload it? thanks..

can't register, trouble captcha

Try this.. actually lucky I have it.. they haven't fixed FEBE yet so have a little trouble exporting installable extensions..

EDIT: Removed attachment, no longer woks in version 6.0.1.. Try TrayHotKey instead working through version 9a1

Archived