Firefox Plumber

hackerz14

One of the biggest "improvements" that Mozilla claims is improved memory usage, in particular, the vanquishing of memory leaks. If you thought it was too good to be true you were right. Firefox still uses a lot of memory – way too much memory for a web browser.

We like keeping our apps running for a few days (that's just the way we roll) and because of this Firefox was using over ~800MB of memory after about 3 days. It's quite normal for Firefox to be sucking up ~100MB of memory right off the bat (in a memory leak you'll see the memory usage keep increasing the longer the browser is open/in-use).

Rather than complaining about it, we decided to fix it. Enter Firefox Plumber. Simply put, it will eliminate all memory leaks in Firefox. All we did was tweaked our memory optimization engine a little and applied it to Firefox (including Firefox extension) and all the memory leaks was gone. To use Firefox Plumber, you will need to unzip foxBoost.zip and double click on foxBoost.exe and let Firefox Plumber babysit.

SEE SCREENSHOT:

34jdglc.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE:

FOXBOOST

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this worth using?

I use the clear memory on minimize edit "about:config" but people are starting to stay away from that due to throttling to much HD?

:huh: I use it in BossKey.. if you go to find it be careful though.. down to 50 MB.. knew nothing of HD issue.. I haven't tried this yet.. but mostly I am more responsible than that with my Browser use.. I never trust anything to stay open all of the time.. and if I need to load it I save or bookmark.. sort of ignorant to load up a memory hogging app or something and just leave it... I don't even use session restore...

RadioActive

Damn, it does work! I dunno about HDD though, but as far as memory goes it definitely works.

Yestreday I was re-playing Mass Effect and I noticed it was taking like 350+MB from memory while firefox was taking over 200MB :lol:

there's a sign of that in Firefox Plumber's own CPU requirements, it was forever using 3 or 4 percent CPU time or more.. Does this mean Firefox Plumber is a waste of time? Not necessarily. If you only ever use a few Firefox tabs, in short sessions, and its RAM use is never an issue for your PC, then sure, it's probably not going to help you much.

Firefox Plumber will instantly save you more than 100MB of RAM, and maybe much more, but also increase your hard drive activity and CPU usage. It may still be useful if you're short on memory, though - try it and see

• Administrator

Check the filename of the given url.

Firefox Ultimate Optimizer 1.1.rar :)

What is this? Do you have a name or link? I don't want to download an unknown app without knowing anything about it.

So you don't.

@bob1234

That link is for "Firefox Ultimate Optimizer 1.1" I hope it helps.

new updates for Firefox Plumber...

To configure Firefox Plumber (foxboost.ini) you will need to edit the configuration file using a text editer. Change the BoostMS value to the amount of time (milliseconds) you want foxBoost to wait before optimizing FireFox.The default value is 20 but you can change it to 100, 500 up to 1000. The lower this amount, the less memory FireFox will use, but the more processing power foxBoost will use and vice versa. In the Processes section you can list the processes you want foxBoost to optimize.

I do know if this actually works. When I run it i do see my firefox go from around 190mb to around 109KB to around 5 MB yet when i started the program i was watching the memory usage i noticed that it didnt reflect the supposed 185MB that it freed up.

grouchysmurf

Well, true to the description above, my cpu usage went way up.

At times, foxboost is running about 30 to 35% of the cpu power.

This is actually more unacceptable then the mem usage by firefox.

The program is a nice idea, lets hope it continues to develop.

For now I am turning it off.

And yes, I even tried to tweak the timing in the config file. That had no affest on the cpu usage.

Archived