What is the best disk defragmenter?

mrkool123

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is the fastest defragmenter ? i can't wait too long...

you asked and knowing people would have this long elaborate pros and cons, alls you had to do was ask jeez :P

Auslogics BoostSpeed v5.1.0.0 posted here. For those who never used it before, it comes with the defrag tool and other cool stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Ultimate Defrag at the moment and I can say that it's the best defragmenting application that I have used.

I'm using Ultimate Defrag at the moment and I can say that it's the best defragmenting application that I have used.

I find their options are impractical for real life situations and Ultimate Defrag is too slow. It always takes hours to defrag and frag protect is supposed to make subsequent defrags take less time but it never works. A few days ago I started it up and even temporarily uninstalled my antivirus, I came back after brushing my teeth and saw the ETA was 414 hours remaining. I am fed up of UD, it is very slow and impractical no matter what settings I choose. I am back to using Defrag Express which works much faster and completes around the same time as other defrag tools (took around 15 mins) I have tested such as Perfect Disk and Auslogics Defrag.

Personally I find it impractical to wait hours for a defrag, I know it works for some people but it does not seem to want to work for me.

You know I actually use and Support UD.. and I sort of agree with Leet.. It has at times.. during a Fragmented Files only defrag.. started moving all files after the HighPerf and BootTime Files.. to empty spaces.. then it continues to move files from the mot outside of the disk.. to those spaces.. slowly moving toward the center of the disk.. I have seen this straighten out sometimes after deleting the database for UD.. but n some cases it does take WAY too long..

On the other hand it does help with older systems and some drives with lower RPM's... and in my opinion is the only program that will et you put the files you want .. where you want for the most part.. I still haven't went though and done a full defrag with moving all of the files yet after my reinstall.. truthfully I am not so sure I need to..

Seems like the issue would be something easy to fix though depending on the overall size.. of the drive(s) and settings.. have never seen UD take that long unless something was wrong somewhere... I dunno though.. for me it takes longer because of thee way I have it setup to run and the operations it performs..

But YEAH.. I have come to this conclusion many times.. still stay with it because of the options though and the fact it helps my slow drive.. :P A little anyway..

Ultimate defrag is best for people who know how to configure it,and on some systems ud is very slow....also jkdefrag(now known as mydefrag) is also very very good little free defregmenter

what is the fastest defragmenter ? i can't wait too long...

Place your choice between Diskeeper and PerfectDisk.

Just gave the newest release of PD a good looking over yesterday...I must say, I like what I see. After doing some web research, DK's hyperfast seems to be better suited for slower or last generation SSDs with less than advanced fw algorithms for data management . In the latest PD they've better implemented their SSD based features without a bunch of crap options that really only apply to older/last gen. ssds. For instance, consolidate free space is not recommended for most new ssds which includes all SandForce based drives. I do use it about once every 2 weeks on my 1st gen Ocz Apex SSD that uses a JMicron controller and does not support TRIM nor does it have any type of idle time 'garbage collection'...so 'aggressively consolidate free space' followed by a run of FreeSpace Cleaner with FF is a rudimentary method of trimming per say. Other than that, I manually defrag my main storage array as well as the external raid1 backup array. Imo, PD also seems to be less bloated and resource hungry than DK. To sum it up, I've kicked DK to the curb for now and use PD for all my HDDs and my older SSD. SandForce drives are more than capable of taking good care of themselves as do most current gen ssd controlelrs. If your curious as to what my setup is, I posted a summary on my profile page.

http://www.nsaneforu...e__tab__aboutme

*link fixed...

That link will take each one that clicks it to his personal "about" page ;)

That link will take each one that clicks it to his personal "about" page ;)

In the words of the immortal Homer Simpson...DOH!!

Thanx for the correction...;)

Messi-PES2011

I very like "Puran Defrag" it offers real-time defrag and boot-defrag is very light and the better is free. :lol:

Archived