New Computer Build

Naota

From that comparison:

Please note that the above 'benchmarks' are all just theoretical - the results were calculated based on the card's specifications, and real-world performance may (and probably will) vary at least a bit.

• Replies 35
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

believe it or not though the best rendering card is actually the ati 5970 pwns the 6990 in "almost" every benchmarki the 5970 beats the 6970 in all benchmarks though

http://www.hwcompare.com/9544/radeon-hd-5970-vs-radeon-hd-6990/

Texel Rate

The Radeon HD 5970 will be quite a bit (about 46%) more effective at texture filtering than the Radeon HD 6990.

Pixel Rate

The Radeon HD 5970 will be quite a bit (more or less 75%) more effective at AA than the Radeon HD 6990, and also should be able to handle higher resolutions better

Interesting take. They also say "As far as performance goes, the Radeon HD 6990 should in theory be a lot superior to the Radeon HD 5970 overall."

I have seen the benches of the two against each other. The 6990 does come on top most of the time. There was an instance or two where it did not come on top however. I believe there is more to the picture than they what they are claiming. Granted, driver optimization goes out the window for older series of video cards that no longer receive updates. If there was a price savings for the 5970, I would have potentially consider it.

But still, I would rather have actual performance than theoretical. ^_^

@ Naota

Wow the rig looks freaking awesome! Wished i have that amount of money :)

• 3 weeks later...

I almost feel sorry to tell you this, but i pulled this from the asus site:

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 [black] (at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)

So you are running your high-end graphics card in a 4x pci-e 2.0 slot, limiting its performance.

Move it to one of the other slots, NOW!!11one!!

I almost feel sorry to tell you this, but i pulled this from the asus site:

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 [black] (at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)

So you are running your high-end graphics card in a 4x pci-e 2.0 slot, limiting its performance.

Move it to one of the other slots, NOW!!11one!!

Haha :) Yes I know.... and it pains me. That damn reservoir gets in the way of things so I had to fit it down there. I'll have to reconfigure things eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

6990 is a mistake, so should have gone with a 590 :frusty:

I disagree with you there. :) I am an NVIDIA fan (even had NVIDIA stock) but even I didn't want the 590 lol.

The 6990 regularly outperforms that 590, but had the issue of being incredibly loud and having a higher idle temperature. Since I used watercooling, those are no longer an issue. I really wanted the 590, but it was badly made and couldn't be overclocked very much at all. The parts they used just couldn't support it.

That is why NVIDIA is rumored to be releasing a version 2 of the GTX 590 later. Now when that comes out, I will be very jealous and envious.... that is, if they make it right this time. :rolleyes:

My biggest mistake probably was not getting a smaller reservoir. -_- cause now I cannot put my video card in a 16x slot without making some big changes.

In all honesty: at this performance level, do you really care for approx 5%? You miss on CUDA for that. Also, I doubt a new "official" 590 will come out. Maybe ASUS or other company will release a MARS equivalent or something, but I think Nvidia just gave up the fight and left the performance crown of this generation to AMD.

But these are just my thoughts.

T4C Fantasy

ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard - $364.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

with a 1200 watt power supply you want to use most of it so get a XL board or a E-ATX which is much better anyways i recommend a

NZXT Black Phantom Gaming Case

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuypower-811121014131/15261870?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

i have one and it has built in fan control and looks just awesome

Very nice bro. I wish I have money like you to build the same system. But with the amount of $ 3,380.00 maybe I would just spend around $ 1,000 for it and spend the rest at the bar. :lol:

ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard - $364.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

with a 1200 watt power supply you want to use most of it so get a XL board or a E-ATX which is much better anyways i recommend a

NZXT Black Phantom Gaming Case

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuypower-811121014131/15261870?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

i have one and it has built in fan control and looks just awesome

I was looking at that motherboard (i agree... it kicks ass) but I decided to wait since I will be swapping it out at the end of the year and THEN I will be done with the computer. =) I am waiting for the new hexacore processors scheduled for q4 2011 / q1 2012. Since I will be selling my motherboard / processor to my brother (hopefully) I didn't want to get the higher end one since he wouldn't wanna pay the money.

Also that is a nice case. I am pretty happy with the one I got though. This is my first Lian Li case and its treated me really well. I had a Cooler Master CM690 before that, and the difference is like night and day. :sun:

@Toyo I would like to hope that they do re-release the GTX 590 but I agree that ti doesn't make sense to do it now. I mentioned it only cause I saw this article I read about it here but that could be BS. I really did want CUDA capabilities, but I didn't want to take risk taking chance with the 590 and some of its reported problems (some of which solved by drivers.) If I was focusing completely on 3d Rendering, CAD and Programming then it would've been no question for me. (I did read that CUDA makes renders come out different though) But since there was the other benefits, and better overclockability, I decided to go ahead with the 6990.

@7even lol. My buddy said the same thing to me. And he does end up spending that much at the bar. :lol:

Archived