Firefox 4 Woes!

RadioActive

RadioActive

Ever since I installed FF4 and my experience with been a freakin' nightmare. Starting with half of my addons breaking (what's new, right?) not to mention the ones that simply won't function at all (even though FF4 swears they're compatible) and the absurd memory footprint (only paralleled by the memory usage of my games!) but now it's something else, a problem I never faced before.

Every now and then websites don't load up, or don't finish loading to be precise. I try to access a website and it keeps loading forever without actually displaying the website, at first I thought it was a server problem (website down) or my internet connection is having issues (my ISP sucks anyways), but I excluded those after a while.

It happens with pretty much any website (including here) and on random intervals, sometimes it works fine for hours and others I end up giving up after 10mins of trying to connect to a damn website! I didn't have this problem with FF3.6 with the same exact setup (HW/SW) so you can imagine why am I confused (and pissed).

I never actually liked FF (I pretty much always hated the SOB) but I been using it for years since it offers the features I need. But now I'm at the end my rope (patience that is), I would prefer not to switch to another browser (out of laziness or convenience, take your pick) but unless I figure out a solution to this problem I most certainly will have to switch to an alternative.

Also, I made a quick tests while FF4 was being a (put your favorite insult here) I opened the same website on IE9 and it worked fine.

So, to sum up this rant for you; any of you had this problem and/or know its solution?

Edit: I just noticed the changelog of the new version of IDM:

• Changes in 6.05 Build 10
    Made a workaround to resolve compatibility problems of IDM network drivers with antiviral software drivers which caused some sites to load slowly in browsers

Who knows, pheraps FF4 is innocent after all (for once, meh). In any case, it's too soon to tell, I just updated IDM and will have to wait and see.

-

WARNING: FF fanboys (not fans, note the difference); buzz off, seriously!

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a quick backup of my FF3.6 profile. I installed FF4, launched it, realized that 80% of my addons were not supported...immediately rolled back to 3.6.15. I figured with all the beta releases that the addon writers would have been ready to go. :angry:

@Lohengrin:

Try setting browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs to 100 then restart Firefox.

@Maxhedroom:

Install Firefox Nightly Tester Tools or edit install.rdf (<em:maxVersion>4.0.*</em:maxVersion>).

RadioActive

I made a quick backup of my FF3.6 profile. I installed FF4, launched it, realized that 80% of my addons were not supported...immediately rolled back to 3.6.15. I figured with all the beta releases that the addon writers would have been ready to go. :angry:

The problem isn't the addon developers, it's the (addon) system itself, it needs to be more flexible. Backward compatibility is essential. Excepting developers to fix (or even write form scratch) their addons with almost every single release is absurd IMO.

@Lohengrin:

Try setting browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs to 100 then restart Firefox.

What does it do exactly, because judging form its name I don't think I need it. I usually only have 2~4 tabs open at a time (unless it does/changes something else).

@Lohengrin:

That setting changes the number of how many tabs should be loaded once Firefox is opened.

Back when I'm still testing nightlies, I had the same problem you are having. And guess what solved it?

RadioActive

@Lohengrin:

That setting changes the number of how many tabs should be loaded once Firefox is opened.

Back when I'm still testing nightlies, I had the same problem you are having. And guess what solved it?

Ok I'll give it a try, thanks.

I think its time to give opera a whirl.

Yeah, I'm tempted :)

@Lohengrin:

If you're using IDM, then you should update it to the latest build. They're talking about similar issues in this thread: Link

For add-ons, you may try adding this to about:config

extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0 in boolean value, set to false. Just hope that the browser version is the only issue hindering the add-on.

:lol:

its only a browser... long time "wars" are matter to get different light, upon new builds- not worth it!

I'll have FF installed later, but for now- disappointed and have abandoned it....

The problem isn't the addon developers, it's the (addon) system itself, it needs to be more flexible. Backward compatibility is essential. Excepting developers to fix (or even write form scratch) their addons with almost every single release is absurd IMO.

Yeah, there are loads of addons that actually work fine with FF4, but get disabled because their em:maxversion is too low. Many coders don't actively maintain their addons, and aren't going to bother putting out a new release just to update the maxversion string.

cruelsister

Nightly Tester Tools for whatever reason will make some extensions work while others still won't load even though the addon profile shows them as Enabled. Personally I'm starting to realize that a browser is a browser, and the headaches of a having the newest version isn't worth it.

Well, Thanks for the info...since upgrading to FF4, I have been having a pop-up re my 'Virtual memory' being too low. I have manually increased it to 500mb, and now see the pop-up only occasionally. Other than that, I have noticed some pages will not load, sometimes will not refresh, and will suddenly shut the computer down. They have moved the 'home tab' to the right, moved the 'open in a new tab' to the top, which takes getting used to. Why they had to change things is beyond my knowledge.....maybe they have a desire to compete with Facebook ??

For add-ons, you may try adding this to about:config

extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0 in boolean value, set to false. Just hope that the browser version is the only issue hindering the add-on.

This works extremely well. You can use it for the 4.2a1 builds.

How to make addons work in 4.2a1.

New –> Boolean and type: "extensions.checkCompatibility.4.2a" and set to false.

That's it now addons will work in latest nightys.

• 1 month later...

FF is nothing without addons. And unfortunately not all addons I am using are fully adopted for FF4 - even adopted ones has some new conflicts. So I have to stay at FF3.6.x at least for present time.

Archived