Mozilla Firefox 4.0

Bizarre™

Okay ... I solved it :)

about:config

"gfx.direct2d.disabled” set to true

Awesome ;)

Well, that's the same issue I have. Damn fonts look terrible with hardware acceleration. And, I had to do the same because of fonts, but we are now without acceleration, which improves speed of Firefox a lot, according to benchmarks. And I'm pretty sure this is issue with Firefox, not Windows, since IE9 looks fine.

Cheers ;)

Yeah, IE9 fonts looking great out of the box.

btw I have hardware acceleration turned ON , you think that above setting changes that anyway , even if hardware acceleration is checked and turned ON ?

When I found that "tweak" at some blog , they said that trick works only if hardware accelerations is ON , I didn't turned it OFF to test will it work anyway.

I don't know if it turns it off completely, but I tested on benchmark, and when "gfx.direct2d.disabled” set to true score is much lower.

Cheers ;)

• Replies 62
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Anyone else experiencing high ekrn.exe (ESET) CPU usage with Firefox 4? ekrn.exe was using 25% of my CPU (100% of a single core) after I started Firefox 4, and didn't stop even after closing it. Then read some posts on wilders security forums ESET NOD32 section to add this in the ESET exclusions list:

C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\sessionstore*

And that fixed it. :rolleyes:

ESET guys should really fix this problem. :)

Thanks for the info, here Eset uses a lot CPU too when Firefox is open

You're welcome. :)

If that doesn't solve your problem, add whole "Profile" directory mentioned above to the exceptions. :)

I believe Firefox guys are going to introduce something fonts related in Firefox 5, that's said to boost the speeds a lot.

I'm also waiting to see if Mozilla adopts the multi-processes thingy. If I'm not mistaken, currently a single process only utilizes a single CPU core ATM (dunno why they don't change it). And multi-processes can may well utilize different different cores, hence low load and 2 to 4 times more faster. But I don't think they are looking into.

sorry for the noob question but what do you mean by "high ekrn.exe (ESET) CPU usage with Firefox 4? ekrn.exe was using 25% of my CPU (100% of a single core) " I am using eset smart security and ekrn.exe shows 64,284K is that normal?

plus

Is there any addon to show multiple pages on the first page? like google chrome? thx..

• Administrator

sorry for the noob question but what do you mean by "high ekrn.exe (ESET) CPU usage with Firefox 4? ekrn.exe was using 25% of my CPU (100% of a single core) " I am using eset smart security and ekrn.exe shows 64,284K is that normal?

plus

Is there any addon to show multiple pages on the first page? like google chrome? thx..

I have a quad core processor. And when a program utilizes 100% of a single core, the task manager shows that as 25% usage. ATM without ESET doing any CPU problems, my ekrn.exe usage is 59,000K, so yeah, that seems normal to me.

Not sure about the multiple pages, can you give me a screenshot or a pic from web to show it? :)

just updated :)

it works good and is quite refined than its predecessor .

has a faster start up and the tabs just breeze around .... !

honestly loving it more than IE 9 esp regarding the looks and performance sectors ...

obviously FF outshines IE in security aspects by miles at any time of the day , so no comparison in this field .

but as IE 9 is better performing in terms of visual performance ,,, still FF 4 aint that bad . it stands its full ground .... :)

all went fine after update ...

but i was wondering if there is any thing to get back the All Glass Look in FF 4 . ?

FF last version had a theme and add on -- Strata and Strata Buddy , which worked together to give that nice glass transparent look to the FF window .

but they are not supported in FF 4 ....

any way of getting the look back in FF 4 ?

plus

I have a quad core processor. And when a program utilizes 100% of a single core, the task manager shows that as 25% usage. ATM without ESET doing any CPU problems, my ekrn.exe usage is 59,000K, so yeah, that seems normal to me.

Not sure about the multiple pages, can you give me a screenshot or a pic from web to show it? :)

Thx for the info DKT27!!

Here is a screenshot....:

2828645232_a5981e6571.jpg

• Administrator

Ah I see. Well you need Google Toolbar for that. And I dunno if it will work on Firefox startup but this is how you can make it work on every new tab:

kaUNa.png

When done, it looks exactly the same as the above pic you've posted. :)

experience FF 4 ---

>>Mozilla presents - Web-O-Wonder .

>>try some new applications written in WebGL and HTML 5 at Mozilla Labs - Mozilla App Directory .

Ah I see. Well you need Google Toolbar for that. And I dunno if it will work on Firefox startup but this is how you can make it work on every new tab:

kaUNa.png

When done, it looks exactly the same as the above pic you've posted. :)

thx DKT27 got it working!! cheers!

• Administrator

OK then here are the benchmarks. Please note that I was trying to do lot more tests but wasn't able to due to time limit. And due to this, I haven't been able to do my personal tests. My GPU is a bit overclocked ATM when compared to previous tests. And at last, this shouldn't be taken as 100% correct nor there's any proof that these tests prove the real power of a browser.

Peacekeeper (higher is better):

ps6Vd.png

Note: When looking into details. Opera literally owns Chrome in most of the cases. It's just that Opera is real behind in "Data" tests of Peacekeeper.

PS. My previous PK benchmark

SunSpider JavaScript (lower number is better) [Do Not trust IE9 in this test]:

1. IE9 : 198.4ms
  2. Firefox 4: 214.3ms
  3. Opera 11 : 222.5ms
  4. Chrome 10: 225.5ms

V8 Benchmark Suite (higher number is better) [Do Not trust Chrome in this test]:

1. Chrome 10: 10274
  2. Firefox 4: 4652
  3. Opera 11 : 4422
  4. IE9 : 3034

Kraken (lower number is better) [Do Not trust Firefox in this test]:

1. Firefox 4: 5499.5ms
  2. Chrome 10: 6012.2ms
  3. Opera 11 : 10607.6ms
  4. IE9 : 12517.5ms

HTML5 Sudoku (lower number is better) [Do Not trust IE9 in this test]:

Chrome 10: 1.482s

IE9 : 1.953s

Opera 11 : 2.598s

Firefox 4: 2.662s

Note: I was doing some different tests about HTML5 and it seems that Mozilla takes some real time to actually start properly doing the HTML5 thingy. In other words, it takes time to kickoff (5 to 10 seconds), but is real fast when it starts rolling.

Personal view from above tests:

Best or better than others in javascript: Firefox 4 (you can also tie it with Chrome, but I have reasons to believe that FF4 JS engine is slightly better than Chrome's which I was thinking otherwise until I started using FF4 final and did all those above tests).

Better than others in overall browsing: Chrome (you can tie it with Opera but Opera loses at main places).

PS. Don't even ask me to test IE9 x64. Two days ago I read how M$ has just taken IE8 x64, changed it's looks and code, but without changing it's engines they released it as IE9 x64 (my previous tests prove it too). :lol:

If Firefox is compared to other browsers in terms of progress, I'd have to say it made a huge leap. Considering Mozilla is not as well off as other competitors (e.g., M$, Google).

Although, the only thing that Mozilla disappoints me is their insistence in imitating Google's fast paced release of new versions of Chrome.

It's as if Mozilla is ashamed in admitting that they're not as rich as M$ or Google. Giving in to peer pressure is counter-productive.

Archived