Windows 7 SP1 Goes Live

nsane.forums

TWgc0.jpg

Today marks an important milestone for Windows 7: the arrival of its first service pack since the operating system's release in late 2009.

Service Pack 1 was released to manufacturers earlier this month, with the announcement that it would arrive in consumers' hands this week. The software is set to hit Windows Update later today, with it already being posted as a 1.95GB download bundle for all versions on Microsoft's Download Center. TechNet subscribers and Microsoft volume license customers got access to the update last week.

Microsoft says the standalone update package should weigh in at 527MB for x86 users, about 903MB for x64 users, and 511MB for users on Itanium chips. In Windows Update, the download sizes are much smaller:

qDydE.png

Windows 7 SP1 download sizes (by delivery method)

The service pack doesn't bring any new whiz-bang features for consumers, but it includes two important back end additions that promise to improve performance in Windows 7's server counterpart, Windows Server 2008 R2. The update adds Dynamic Memory and RemoteFX, technologies that increase, respectively, the density of virtual machines and the graphical prowess of thin-client hardware (more on those here). The RemoteFX feature is also coming to the consumer version of Windows 7 in the form of client-side support.

Also included in SP1 are a number of fixes for bugs and security holes, which may be useful for those who don't use the auto-update feature or are applying the update to machines that don't have an active Internet connection. Other small changes include improved HDMI audio-device performance, a fix for printing mixed-orientation XPS documents, and "improved support" for Advanced Format storage devices.

SP1 first appeared in beta form in July of last year, with its first release candidate hitting the company's testing channels in October. Leaks of the release for the manufacturers' version of the software appeared on file-sharing networks last month.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 40
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed the leaked RTM a month or so ago so i didn't get SP1 in the latest updates but i did get one of MS's nasty little crack killers.

Update for Windows 7 (KB971033)

Download size: 1.2 MB

Update type: Important

This update to Windows Activation Technologies detects activation exploits and tampering to key Windows system files. These exploits try to bypass regular Windows activation and are sometimes included within counterfeit copies of Windows.

More information:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Help and Support:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=161784

If you're using a cracked version of windows i suspect this update is included in SP1 so be careful with this one chaps. :ph34r:

I installed the leaked RTM a month or so ago so i didn't get SP1 in the latest updates but i did get one of MS's nasty little crack killers.

Update for Windows 7 (KB971033)

Download size: 1.2 MB

Update type: Important

This update to Windows Activation Technologies detects activation exploits and tampering to key Windows system files. These exploits try to bypass regular Windows activation and are sometimes included within counterfeit copies of Windows.

More information:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Help and Support:

http://go.microsoft..../?LinkId=161784

If you're using a cracked version of windows i suspect this update is included in SP1 so be careful with this one chaps. :ph34r:

im using windows 7 ultimate and i have SP1 slipstreamed on the disc and i still got what u you just now after reading this thread ill install it see what the hell happens :D

EDIT 2: AFTER APPLYING THOSE UPDATES< IT TSEEMS MS DIDNT BLOCK VERY MANY EXPLOITS IN THIS 971033 RELEASE SO, IF YOU RAN THE SAME THING I DID (ACTIVATION METHOD0 YOU SHOULD BE FINE, IM NOT GETTING ANY NAG SCREENS OF ANY KIND, BUT HOWEVER DEPENDING HOW YOU ACTIVATED, BE CAREFUL

• Administrator

I've said it thousand times before and will probably have to say thousand times again. WAT update (KB971033) does NOT affect Daz Loader. Anyone who used Daz Loader won't have any problems whatsoever if he/she downloads WAT update.

eh mine came after i installed windows already with sp1, your right DKT27 i used the daz loader plus a few other tweaks i added myself :P

:) Its not a major problem,i just thought i'd give people the heads up about (KB971033)and i know Daz Loader isn't affected by this update but obviously not everyone knows this and tbh anyone who doesn't check what the updates are deserve all they get.

Anybody had the service pack fail to install? I'm running Online armor with 4.5.0.234 Free & Nod32 4.2.67.10, and I think it may be the problem.. I'll report back if nobody had the problem

• Administrator

Anybody had the service pack fail to install? I'm running Online armor with 4.5.0.234 Free & Nod32 4.2.67.10, and I think it may be the problem.. I'll report back if nobody had the problem

Here. :)

I honestly must say this was the most user-friendly SP I have installed from MS thus far.... ( and the smallest ).. I did lose 1.5 GB of space though...

i downloaded an image with sp1 integrated with it and sp1 KB971033 didnt show up until i look here in the forums sp1 was out lol, but as for me i had no issues

I honestly must say this was the most user-friendly SP I have installed from MS thus far.... ( and the smallest ).. I did lose 1.5 GB of space though...

Just use disk cleanup to delete backup files that SP1 made and gain back those 1.5 GB. I got myself almost 2GB back.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

C drive > properties > disk cleanup > remove service pack backup files. Would be around 400-500MB. But be warned, you can NOT uninstall SP1 after cleaning up the backup files. I've decided to let it be there for couple of weeks, and when everything's right, I'll remove it.

Mine is showing about 530 MB... I rarely run Disk Cleanup in Admin Mode.. LOL... Still wondering about the missing space.. Could mean I need to clean up Restore Points and Shadow Copies even though I don't use either.. I honestly think I may just go ahead and do it..

Cool .. I haven't done it yet.. I keep thinking about the uninstallation.. for reinstallation.. I want to do it but its the only thing that has me apprehensive.. Because in some cases I may need to replace files like I have in the past.. I don't want to wind up lttered with file from the original and not be able to repatch the system without doing a fresh install.. which is the main reason for trying repairs to begin with..One question I do have is if any of the problems that have arisen in the past with SP's.. Like doing a sfc /scannow and it not being able to pull from the SP version files and asking for a CD is present in this one...

• Administrator

I've already downloaded the Windows 7 SP1 x64 ISO from WZOR to avoid any problems like you've mentioned. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Some more info about why you shouldn't delete the SP backup so fast:

Should You Delete the Service Pack Backup Files?

Whenever a new service pack comes out, there’s always going to be a few bugs and problems, and some of them might not even be noticed right away. If you run through the cleanup process to get rid of the backup files, you won’t be able to uninstall the service pack if you need to, which could be a big problem.

At the very least, you should wait a while before running through the cleanup—make sure everything is working, reboot at least a few times, and go through your regular daily scenarios so you can make sure you won’t need to roll back the service pack. Sound tedious? If you just exercise a little patience before deleting the backup files, you can simply go about your day and deal with cleanup next week.

Bottom line: You should never rush to install or delete things when it comes to major system changes. As long as you use Windows Update set to Automatic for security patches, you’re safe.

Source

Okay so I needed to post here for several reasons..

1. Being that I just killed my Parents personal and business machine by deleting the backup files..

2. I need assistance in any files that get deleted or changed just in case I miss something..

So Far I get two DLL errors on boot.. Before the login screen.. I tried doing a Startup recovery from installation disk.. worked until the system tried to load a CLASSPNP.SYS file.. found out that the file is actually a hard link through HBCD and replaced the two folder n the system with ones from another system.. that has SP1 installed without any missing files.. NOW.. after I rebooted my Login screen was back to the default image and of course no Themes were working at all even Aero Basic.. haven't adjusted any settings.. and every program I launch comes up with an error... nothing will run.. so now I am running an sfc /scannow to see if the system will replace those files.. but until this is properly documented or found as to a solution .. it may not be a good idea on all systems to delete these files...

Waiting for your input.. Have to save this system.. as is.. I quit doing backups because the only drive that could be used for it is actually failing.. At 53% Complete on Verification..

UPDATE: Error is being caused by a lack of having .NET Framework versions available any longer.. were deleted with the Service Pack Files..which is part of the OS.. and the only way to replace it is to re-install.. and I have tried several steps.. including installers which will not install.. installing 4.0.. nothing is working...

• Administrator

That's quite odd. I'll have to check mine. I was able to install things fine. But better be sure...

I still don't understand what or why it ripped out all of the extra files.. it makes no sense why it would remove all of that.. when the system needed it.. I have looked for solutions everywhere and just been going around in circles..

My other system will be keeping the Service Pack Backup files.. period..

Thing is its seems as though .. the same thing happened to me with Vista on the same computer...running second SFc now and scanning HD for recoverable files.. where this may not help at all.. I have go to try I can't reinstall and do all of the work again.. If it had better hardware maybe.. but its a ton... I feel a bitchy soap-box session coming.. tired f my days being ruined by this machine..

.NET frameworks are biatch!

got to install 3.0, then 3.5, then 3.5 SP1, then 4.0 to have none issues with program and poss SP installation environment

• Administrator

This software says I have the latest .net:

1JjaS.png

And I checked the MSI.dll (Windows Installer) file in System32 and even that's saying 5.x version.

Archived