• Google DNS
    • Dnsadvantage
    • Norton DNS
    • ScrubIt DNS
    • Verizon DNS
    • My ISP's DNS
    • Other - pls specify
    • Comodo DNS

Be sure to run ' ipconfig /flushdns ' in an Administrative command prompt after switching the DNS and expect some slowness upon changing it at first.. I always change my Router and my Network Cards as well to use one when I test.. then flus the DNS Cache and reboot.. this way when I startup all entire are fresh and come from one place.. Then I use it for a couple of days to see if its better or worse... My speeds were boosted quite a bit using the experimental Beta DNS Caching within the Dashboard which is even more different than system DNS Caching..

On the blocking note.. OpenDNS has blocked this site in the past because someone flagged it ( also was flagged by Norton for some ).. and It even flagged my Email server which has nothing to do with anything.. go figure.. I helped clear that up BTW... :D within a few hours things were back as they should be.. LOL and even at that OpenDNS allows you to add exceptions to filtering .. and allows for DNS shaping if you will... :P Lots of good stuff and options in their dashboard..

• Replies 55
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be a dumb question but, when I ran the tool, it gave me "UltraDNS". From my knowledge, that isn't free to use is it?

SO i went with using as Primary my ISP DNS and then for secondary/tertiary, using both of openDNS's.

To answer your question.. NO.. UltraDNS is not a free service.. similar to OpenDNS but it is a paid service which is about as robust.. I ran into the same problem once.. Tried adding it n without knowing what it was.. had some issues... :( Router started to spazz out.. and reboot ..) It doesn't show to be the fastest here anymore..

EDIT: Another good tool is called DNS Benchmark.. by Gibson Research.. http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Seems to be a better tool .. plus it will allow you to create a custom list of DNS Servers for your specific location.. catered to YOU as it puts it... and can detect other problems with your connection..

Its was the first one I ever used to get results.. The other one works but I came across it later.. ( had to go look n my Archive.. LOL

Be sure to turn off extra filtering when you run the test.. such as PeerBlock...

Test results with default list... - some duplicated so listing the top three companies.. in rating..

• OpenDNS
  • Level 3 Communications
  • Symantec

Creating a Custom list 75 versus 4,875 ... whew.. LOL.. 40 minutes or so.. then.. more benchmarking..

• Administrator

Be sure to run ' ipconfig /flushdns ' in an Administrative command prompt after switching the DNS and expect some slowness upon changing it at first.. I always change my Router and my Network Cards as well to use one when I test.. then flus the DNS Cache and reboot.. this way when I startup all entire are fresh and come from one place.. Then I use it for a couple of days to see if its better or worse... My speeds were boosted quite a bit using the experimental Beta DNS Caching within the Dashboard which is even more different than system DNS Caching..

You mean SmartCache?

On the blocking note.. OpenDNS has blocked this site in the past because someone flagged it ( also was flagged by Norton for some ).. and It even flagged my Email server which has nothing to do with anything.. go figure.. I helped clear that up BTW... :D within a few hours things were back as they should be.. LOL and even at that OpenDNS allows you to add exceptions to filtering .. and allows for DNS shaping if you will... :P Lots of good stuff and options in their dashboard..

Nice to here that. :) Well, I've added nsane.down and nsane.forums + the google ads in never block list to avoid such problems or slow downs. Where's DNS shaping? :unsure:

Yes SmartCache.. wasn't called that when they first started it.. in Beta.. not in Beta anymore.. and I use OpenDNS Proxy as well.. When I logged in just now it said I was shown to have been either targeted by Malware/Botnet in November.. nothing since.. Not for sure what exactly may have triggered it but I have a good idea...

Where's shaping... you just mentioned it.. :P Web Content filtering.. Any time you alter the behavior from original design... for DNS or Network you are altering or doing Traffic Shaping.. its in the name... Not to let you down fo new services and cool toys.. :D .. was using pretty generalized terms... :)

Been a while since I have went to the site and looked at the settings and stuff should probably purge my data and see if anything new is going on.. Everything runs so smoothly I never bother with it.. I set it up and forget it... Thats a good service.. :thumbsup:

One another note my Custom List just finalized .. now I have to run the Benchmark.... Hoping OpenDNS is still it so I won't have to change.. :)

EDIT: This benchmark went a lot faster.. The results.. OpenDNS is the answer... :sneaky:

• OpenDNS
  • My ISP -:P
  • NTT America Technical Operations
  • Level 3 Communications
  • The Planet.com

• Administrator

I see. Well I've enabled/checked all the settings (execpt everything in web content filtering ofc. :P ). How did it warn you about botnet attack? You looked at logs? Cause they stop collecting mine if I don't look at them for a month or so. Sometimes I feel it's good for me privacy wise. :sneaky:

I read an article written by an Indian or so when GoogleDNS was released, it noted how GoogleDNS was the fastest in some countries while OpenDNS being fastest in the other (fastest in the sense, only comparing two of them).

When I signed in... and it shows a listing of your added Networks.. right above it in RED LETTERS.. it said it.. and I had o hide it or remove it.. Shows the last known date of said activity against the Network.. There was some stuff going on back then though... Even some new bots coming about.. I don't collect logs either.. it actually seems to slow down ( or used to ) the network a little.. BUT I still do a ' Purge DNS Data '...

For my area I guess there are a few options... I am really happy with OpenDNS.. Now I just have to go through and check a few thing the NameBench says I need to check.. Not really for sure about what its referring to though in a couple of them.. information is correct but I dunno.. off I go.. LOL.. ( probably screw something up watch.. :lmao: )

This is turning out very time consuming. Especially using namebench as well. :mellow: Narrowed down to 50 fastest and benched them.Fastest was in French :rolleyes: 2nd and 3rd OpenDNS. I bet if I did it all again it would be 50 different ones.

Oh maybe try again tomorrow. :D

Try the DNS NameBench program I posted the link to a post or two above... and do it for your location.. You have to do one that will check 75 most popular first.. Then, It ill ask you if you want to run one for YOU... That will test and run against about 4,800 nameservers.. out of those results you will then get a name resolve time.. and a quick benchmark after should render the best results with notations for better options for your your system on the last tab.. Took some time but if you get the bet solution out of it then its for the best.. ran mine today only to find that I already have the fastest one for my location...

BTW if your not running NAT configurations.. you may get some odd results on the last tab as far as suggestions are concerned... Just sit tight and let it do its thing.. Make sure you don't have any filtering turned on.. Maybe with everything closed and a fresh boot of the router.. then run it... You may want to try during the week to make sure you get a stable one as well.. where there maybe slight differences on the weekend.. ( traffic time )

DNS Namebench

Thats what I did, I think. Tells you to weed out the unkowns etc. I thought it gave me 50. I'll keep at it for a week, and see. The one that was fastest earlier is now slow as hell, changed to Open again, slightly faster but I think my ISP is messing about atm.

Gonna use both programs and hopefully over time I can get a better answer. (got a feeling they all fluctuate, so try at different times)

Ran the benchmark. The 4 DNS servers form my ISP came out on top, brutally faster than the rest. Google came on 5th and the others were way slower. On Conclusions seems everything is OK, which is fine as I'm not a networking guru.

I've used it before (DNS Bench) and used it again (today), but my ISPs DNS has always been the fastest. OpenDNS has always been second...

So I'll stick with my ISPs DNS since I don't need te extra functionality OpenDNS offers nor the advertisement-driven pages that it offers if you try to visit an non-existent URL (does it still do that btw?).

I do believe my router also handles (as in: when they are cached) a considerable number of my DNS requests... (Not sure.)

Most routers actually do... There is a downside and a good side to OpenDNS.. Now if you type something into the url bar.. its used just like a search bar.. but instead of defaulting back to Google at times.. ( I have actually modded my FF to do it all the time with Metacrawler...as I hate Google.. ) It will default back to the OpenDNS search.. when it intercepts something like that.. I think you can tweak it n your settings though...You can configure the page.. including LOGO and shortcuts...of which with adblocker.. has no ads... and the promoting of the sites and searches are usually the most resolved through OpenDNS rather say Google or something.. SO.. what I do is use the Search Bar which uses my search engine.. Metacrawler, or whatever I choose for what I need at the time.. I don't really get any interference other than the URL Bar screw-up actually... like forgetting the .com or something not resolving at all..

Web Content Filtering: Cloud-based, award-winning Web content filtering from OpenDNS with more than 50 categories of content. No appliance necessary. Effective against proxies, P2P, Web 2.0, adult and more.
:mellow:

On Google dns. Only reason is that they don't redirect mistyped/unresolved urls, unlike OpenDNS, or my ISP's DNS server. (I know that you can turn this OpenDNS "feature" off, but creating an account and constantly syncing it with my dynamic ip is too much of a hassle.)

Well they do have a small client that will do that for you... Just like having a Domain Name..

@toyo - Yeah they actually do have a quite extensive dashboard for creating a DNS that can be slipstreamed for business and/or family household use.. Like parents...( also completely customizable responses) use and different forms of Blacklisting/Whitelisting.. I mean once you get into the one where you choose what you want there are quite a few in detail.. LOL

@heath

thanks for the namebench link ..

i m on Open DNS .

and the test reports Google DNS to be 248% faster for my connection ..!!

that is one hell of a difference ..!

now should i shift over to Google DNS , from OpenDNS :think:

i dont know ...

Steve Gibson has a DNS Benchmark for free. I use it and works great.

Site: http://www.grc.com

Sharecode: /dns/benchmark.htm

BTW I use my ISP DNS servers sense Steve Gibsons software says its the fastest for my region.

250%.. is 250%... I would atleast try it out for a day or two and see how it compares... Was that from a custom list.. or the first one? Were there anymore results on the last tab stating any issues?

naa ,

dint went for any custom lists .

running now on Google DNS .

and yes it sure is fast ...

like the line has become more responsive ...

and there were others too that were far better than OpenDNS .

my ISP DNS was at 2nd spot and some others too ., better than OpenDNS .

on last two runs ,

the test reports my ISP DNS servers to be faster than Google DNS by 11 % and 15% ...!

May want to run the tests through out the week.. keep a tally of the top ones and see which one is more consistent and these things can vary..

My ISP DNS is 282% faster than OpenDNS, but does that really mean anything? What are the practical implications of this number?

Let me show you.

Assume I am a web server and I make 5000 unique DNS queries per day.

5000 x 23ms = 115 seconds. Using ISP DNS.

5000 x 65ms = 325 seconds. Using OpenDNS.

I saved 210 seconds = 3.5 mins daily if I make 5000 unique dns queries per day.

My dns cache in Windows 7 currently has 125 entries, which means my top 125 dns queries are cached by Windows so if we count a generous 5 unique dns requests per website then my most visited 25 sites per day are cached from the first time I visit them and they remain cached until they expire. So after the first query, subsequent queries are replied to in 0ms.

By the way, assuming 5000 unique dns queries per day on a personal computer is an exaggeration. Even with torrents running it probably does not reach that amount. 5000 queries per day is easy but 5000 unique queries per day is highly improbable.

I'm not even going to do the maths for this but on a really good day I probably save 30 seconds by using my ISP DNS as opposed to OpenDNS. The question is whether those 30 seconds matter to me more than the advanced features, Botnet and Phishing scam protection, redundancy and resilience of OpenDNS?

In the past I have had the issue of site not resolving because they changed their hosting server and IP address and my ISP had not yet updated their cache so all I got was the old dysfunctional site whereas when I used OpenDNS I got through to the new website immediately. Which one really increased my online productivity and actually saved me time? The site that was giving me those problems at the time was EZTV, I switched to OpenDNS and never looked back. Oh and you don't need to use any program to send your IP address to OpenDNS, you can just use the dns servers straight off, the sending IP part is only if you care to record statistics.

Something to think about.

VERY Good point.. even if a person doesn't understand the math.. its about better service, and stability... The reason I use the OpenDNS Updater.. is so that I hook into my account.. and the settings I have applied to my specific use apply.. otherwise your simply using their DNS with default... It has no way to tell who you are and what settings to apply.. ( and I have my Cards and Router also configured so I am using it no matter what - LOL ) ..BUT that being said I only have to run it once when I change my IP.. then remove it from Startup ( which is sort of aggravating.. ).. but yeah its not necessary .. unless you deviate like me.. LOL

• Administrator

The OpenDNS Updater is necessary for all the protection etc. settings that you've chosen to use. But with one click, you can make it run hidden forever without needing to see the program again, and one click to disable notification of any errors. You'll almost forget that you are even running it in background with no impact on computer resources at all. It's like set and forget. :)

These are the options:

VTsiA.png

On the blocking note.. OpenDNS has blocked this site in the past because someone flagged it ( also was flagged by Norton for some )..

it just goes to show how popular we are 2lbz2xg.png

Archived