• Google DNS
    • Dnsadvantage
    • Norton DNS
    • ScrubIt DNS
    • Verizon DNS
    • My ISP's DNS
    • Other - pls specify
    • Comodo DNS

The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system built on a distributed database for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participating entities. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide.

An often-used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the phone book for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, the domain name www.example.com translates to the addresses 192.0.32.10 (IPv4) and 2620:0:2d0:200::10 (IPv6).

Source: Wikipedia)

So which DNS service do you guys use?... I'll start off ... I have setup 3 connections using 3 different DNS service (OpenDNS, GoogleDNS and my ISP's DNS) but by default I use OpenDNS coz it tends to be faster for me ... so it gets my vote :D

• Replies 55
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

OpenDNS. :)

GoogleDNS is 200% faster in my area when compared to OpenDNS. But OpenDNS offers all the security, customization and I don't want Google to spy on me on everything. :P

Though I did set GoogleDNS in my uTorrent as secondary DNS if OpenDNS fails due to connection hog because of download/seeding. But I don't think it matters much.

I have used my ISP's DNS in the past but currently using OpenDNS with the DNS-O-Matic.. Also wanted to share a tool called NameBench with everyone for testing the fastest DNS for your location.. Results can vary.. several are faster for me.. but I also choose OpenDNS. for security and configuration ( plus the caching ability - just all around good... Plus it seems quite fast most of the time... Testing my own servers has a lot to do with my DNS and sometimes does take longer as it is free as well..

I did try jacking in to other DNS Servers before and for w/e reason.. Thinking because some are paid services.. I was not able to use them..

I'm using my ISPs DNS, it's the fastest (faster than both GoogleDNS and OpenDNS).

The others do have some extra functionality... But I didn't make use of that (I tried both for short time periods).

A while back I ran a test. Over the period of a week I tested speed for all major DNS s. The results were inconclusive. They all fluxuated so much that I couldnt pick one. Currently on ISP.

• Administrator

Comodo DNS! :rolleyes:

Added Comodo DNS. Please delete your vote and vote again. :)

Well, there was a time I used to use my ISP's DNS, and it sucked, somehow, time to time I got DNS login error in MSN, then came to know about OpenDNS and never looked back. Yes, chances are high that ISP's DNSs would be the fastest. :)

EDIT: Almost forgot. I've added the sites I visit the most in my HOSTS file. Faster than them all. :D

OpenDNS for me as my isp BEBroadbands dns servers are quite possibly the worst on good old planet earth.

My ISP dns is the fastest ping but their database could never match the resilience of OpenDNS so I use OpenDNS. :rolleyes:

The difference in ping does not affect performance in a quantifiable way, sites are only queried once and the result is cached. Plus I setup my gateway to cache 10,000 dns entries so it works ok.

Oh yea and free botnet protection from OpenDNS is great too. :D

...Plus I setup my gateway to cache 10,000 dns entries so it works ok....

...Oh yea and free botnet protection from OpenDNS is great too. :D

1. How did you modify your DNS Cache? Curious.. :rolleyes:

2. Gotta love the OpenDNS Dashboard.. :thumbsup:

...Plus I setup my gateway to cache 10,000 dns entries so it works ok....

...Oh yea and free botnet protection from OpenDNS is great too. :D

1. How did you modify your DNS Cache? Curious.. :rolleyes:

2. Gotta love the OpenDNS Dashboard.. :thumbsup:

I use DNSMasq with the following options:

• bogus-priv
  • filterwin2k
  • strict-order
  • stop-dns-rebind
  • clear-on-reload
  • domain-needed
  • cache-size=10240
  • no-negcache

Yeah I ran mine yesterday.. OpenDNS came in as the second server being fastest.. and first server for them being second.. :P Good tool I think.. had some odd issues with it on Window 7 though..

I'll try it at a few different times to see what it says, if its correct it looks like a very good tool. Used it on XP.

I don't really know a lot about dns, only recently Ive tried them. ClearCloud was blocking a lot of sites such as warez, actually 1st site I visited after setting it up was blocked lol. :frusty: Then just stuck with Comodo after installing the firewall, but it doesn't seem to do anything, no malware blocking at all.

Saw this thread and put on opendns and it was very slow, so tried the tool. I've managed for years without setting my own, so just experimenting really.

I should look into it a bit more I suppose :rolleyes: :D

SacredCultivator

Might be a dumb question but, when I ran the tool, it gave me "UltraDNS". From my knowledge, that isn't free to use is it?

SO i went with using as Primary my ISP DNS and then for secondary/tertiary, using both of openDNS's.

Archived