Which Defrag also CCleaner drive Wipe help!

anemones2

Well I have esata on my front panel so I may as well use it; so just a usb 2.0/ esata standard HDD hub.

and just stick with that. Probably a cheapie that reads cf and sd cards too. Also means I have 2 extra USB ports away from the pc A little.

So to wipe this HDD properly I should run from a new hdd and just access this one through plug and play hub, so that way everything is wiped, not running from the HD that i'm wiping :P Using a program on it to wipe itself with.

Xp install hopefully goes fine.

I wonder if I should flash BIOS before or after, and if I flash them with the 4850 radeon connected, will it do anything differently?

I mean would it be better to flash BIOS while I have all m hardware attached so it can account for it, or flash it with a bare basis system so it sets up properly before I add things.

0_o'

• Replies 33
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhm.. I would flash your BIOS before hand as is.. should not matter as its basic firmware for your MOBO.. not your added card.. and may actually be better to do it without..Next you need to get and burn Hiren's Boot Disk.. if you don't have one already.. and keep this disk around.. its a great tool... and use it to wipe the drive.. NO OS NEEDED.. LOL.. But yes unplug the drive you want to 'Wipe' later.. Hook in the new one.. master.. w/e and insert XP installation Disk.. Boot up with it in and start yo install first.. Get XP like you want it and o everything first last thing your going to do is wipe the other HD that came out so sit tight on that part.. and if you use the Boot Disk it will go a lot smoother and faster..

Updating bios went well.

CPU seems to have dropped 10 celcius, though it is a cool night.

But the HDD and GPU on mobo have remained about the same.

Wonder if chipset driver updates are a good idea.

I nabbed the older bios off ASUS website just encase these play up.

I used EASEUS to do a partition back up of C: to my old external, I just hooked it in as a HDD via sata sharing a sata power cable with the other HDD (just to mention my concern before was alleviated, they both ran fine off the same PSU cable).

It showed up smoothly and nicely, revved up a bit for it's first time in a pc while the other HDD booted, but went nicely.

Is sector by sector (backup) required if I have a crash and want to restore C: partition I just did the other one. As sector by sector would have backed up 150gb, this just backed up the partition 14-15gb data I have on C:

Just after I pressed back up I was thinking maybe I should have made critical windows files unhidden in folder options, encase that would help the program grab everything, not sure. Exported registry just encase.

BUT anyway, so far so good. I am still thinking a HUBB and new HDD might be a good idea, then I can schedule a back up with EASEUS every so often and keep it up to date, there isn't the room on my spare HDD for everything on here to be kept backed up.

Then worry about wiping this one and reformatting, and reinstalling Xp when i'm ready.

First boot on new BIOS was a little jittery, but it seemed to find it's feet, with a new MOBO screen, and some other options on the flash screen.

Still an ugly color flash screen > _>

not sure if the last bios were americamegatrends or if the post always just skipped showing at all.

Anyway, all good here, thanks a heap for the suggestions.

Would it be worth putting on the display driver for the onboard mGPU ? nvidia 8300? it is 100+MB though???

or will it put firm/software on that complicated things when I put the radeon back in?

This video cards I am not for sure.. might be a little hazy on what your even asking for sure.. LOL.. are you referring to compatibility with Hardware or software or with the new firmware on the MOBO?

This video cards I am not for sure.. might be a little hazy on what your even asking for sure.. LOL.. are you referring to compatibility with Hardware or software or with the new firmware on the MOBO?

The site downloads and support page at Asus.com for my m4n78 pro offers a driver package. Which comes with new Display Drivers for the on board graphics.

But the file is huge, wouldn't a driver update just be a new .dll file.

I mean is it worth even putting it on, if what i'm using now is working fine since bios update.

I would say that usually if its meant for the board.. and there are no known compatibility issues with anything else you have attached to it.. then it would be the recommended course of action..

• 2 weeks later...

haha damnit, I have reformatted an IDE. to ntfs.

Went fine.

I used CCleaner, in wipe drive I selected 'entire drive' (not just freespace) and it has hung, on formatting again.

Get the impression this happens when CCleaner has no file data to destroy, before it even gets to wipe freespace.

erg.

• 2 months later...

Archived