Do You Still Use a Real Time Antivirus?

Rock Lee

159 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a real time AV?

• Yes
    • No

A couple of you brought up some good points on how the topic shouldn't necessarily be about whether you use an antivirus or not but whether you use a 'real time' antivirus (one that is constantly running) as opposed to an 'on demand' antivirus (one that only runs when you tell it to).

Agreeing with that sentiment I decided to redo the poll and well here we are.

Vote & discuss (if there's anything left to discuss).

• Replies 41
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

The need for real-time protection depends entirely on the places you visit on the Web. If you open Yahoo or Google! News and read the articles, then you probably don't need real-time protection. But, if you do research that takes you to pages and places that are unknown, then you should have as much real-time protection as you can get.

Anit-virus software is like a condom. If you know who you are with you probably don't need one, but if you go to the bar and bring a girl home, you should use as many as they put in the box. :P

Here some small things that will keep every one 99,999999% safe without any realtime antivirus.

1. Use FireFox with addon: NoScript. --> To prevent Exploits.

2. Use Firefox with addon: WOT (WEB OF TRUST). ---> See if you are surfing on a safe page.

3. Let the Windows Firewall enabled. --> Is enough!

4. Disable AutoRun. ---> To prevent USB autorun malware.

5. Don't search in google for any kind of cracks. ---> To prevent downloading fake cracks that include malware.

7. Don't run anything if you are not sure if you can trust the application or not. Or better just run them in Sandboxie.

Requierements:

- IQ of over 60. ^_^

Like I said in the other topic, I'm pro AV and use ESET Smart Security (best for my taste and has never failed me). You can use preventive measures in FF not open files etc. but eventually you'll still 'y'nd up with a virus or couple, so a realtime AV is just an extra insurance, to say so. You never can be too careful (not in an paranoid way, lol, in the limit of common sence, I mean). Plus, I feel safer when I use SAS 4 too.

EDIT: The only thing I don't like about realtime protection, is that they catch the program cures I know are not malware kind as false positives and I have to but them into ignore (In ESSes case "Add to exclude" and "no action") or worse, disable protection for that time,

but after I've used/applied what I want, I enable the protection again. (It isn't that annoying, but still (and got to hand it to the realtime devs, most avg. computer users don't tell the difference between a good and an evil program cure or program, document, link, etc [coming out of what I've experienced with the people I've socialized with and ruling out you guys in this forum, of course]))

Well I've been using Kaspersky since 2004, and i do feel having a realtime AV is necessary... No matter how much care we take, shit happens... I also use sandboxie to run *suspicious* files and to check out false positives... Also a firewall too is a must these days..

Here some small things that will keep every one 99,999999% safe without any realtime antivirus.

Requierements:

- IQ of over 60. ^_^

:)))))good one!

Line connected personal pc....no AV

Wireless connected (on the go)......EAV

Line connected Family pc.................EAV

Yes, of course. I use ZenOK free antivirus

I find this question everywhere :dance2:

ZenOK is not very good IMO. I saw a review on youtube and tested it out myself and it missed 4/10 things (40 infections found later by Malwarebytes)

I don't use an antivirus. I am using Prevx which is not really an antivirus

I've been using Avast Free in real-time for the last 4 years and I haven't had one single infection.

Of coarse using it with common internet sense which is very important.

Just like flawed said; "No matter how much care we take, shit happens..." that is a proven fact.

Thanks.:D

I only use superantispyware (free version) on demand once a week. No antivirus at all, no firewall.

But i'm very careful with executable downloads, I unplug ethernet cable when i don't need internet and i'm the only user on computer.

Every 6 months, before formatting/reinstalling i install an antivirus and run a deep scan : each time nothing found :)

only when i visit hack/crack sites like this one

nsane.down//nsane.forums doesn`t pose any risk for you or your PC. if don`t like, why visit?

@desmith

i'll assure u that this is safe site to find working and harmless medicines for the application u mite like to use mcafee site advisor or wot extension on FF to check what im sayin

but thisis the sure thing that our site never made harm to anyone or never present a harmfull crack or patch though some of the patches were called as trojan or virus by some Av's were false alarms

only when i visit hack/crack sites like this one

nsane.down//nsane.forums doesn`t pose any risk for you or your PC. if don`t like, why visit?

to test my anti-virus and ad blocker.... :D

@desmith

i'll assure u that this is safe site to find working and harmless medicines for the application u mite like to use mcafee site advisor or wot extension on FF to check what im sayin

but thisis the sure thing that our site never made harm to anyone or never present a harmfull crack or patch though some of the patches were called as trojan or virus by some Av's were false alarms

Staff Note: Please be respectful towards other members. Also, try to avoid double posting. Thank you.

Buzz Johnson

G-DATA AntiVirus + Comodo Firewall. I don't think there's a better solution on the web (both programs are on the 1st place at their category - antivirus and firewall, respectively).

• 2 weeks later...

MSE+Windows (7) Firewall. Used Avast and Quick Heal before. MSE works fine. Only problem is, scans take inordinately longer than Avast.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived