1. 1. What is the best OS ?

• Windows XP
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Linux Kernel 2.6.36
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    • Ubuntu

I prefer my Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (x86) + Windows XP as VMware image.

I had experience with all Windows versions (Win 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, Vista, 7). I had experience with MacOS and Linux.

But i wanna use the combination i mentioned above.

PS: Cannot believe that users voted Vista more than 7?! Thats something fishy here... :blink:

• Replies 47
  • Views 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hardcore XP fan, but been running Win7 without reformatting for nearly 8 month- no need for much of skills or reformatting... damn once, M$ quite a good product!

Pool is way too old by now, as I believe I have voted, but way long time ago...

For me ..;)

1st -Windows XP :D

2nd - Windows 7 :thumbsup:

Talk about Vista :thumbsdown:

most recently i bought a MBP and its the sleekest thing ive used. OS runs light and snow leopard is very stable and user friendly. Best uses for mac and their operating systems are for more intense things such as photo/video editing ect...

BTW, i run Windows 7 as well on my other partition so i get best of both worlds.

I was curious how the mac OS would work for me day to day so i bought the high-end mac book pro to test it and if i didnt like it i would return it within the 30 day limit. Once i got used to it and changed the settings around to my taste, well, its been since august and I kept the laptop.

iOS for some things, windows 7 for others FTW.

BTW, both are 64 bit

I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my laptop PC for just over a year now and it has been great. I got a netbook in June and it also has Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (after a :pirate: free :pirate: Windows Anytime Upgrade) and it has been running great too. I'm very happy with Windows 7. :dance2:

7 for me, due to it's lightness and the fact you can turn most of it's services off with hardly no effect to it's overall stability which also makes it even lighter!

Depends on the hardware and available drivers. Would love to run Win 7 but my old hardware does not have full driver support for the cards. So XP is best for my machines.

Will wait for Win 8 and build a new system.

Vista is just plain crap.

Have been instrumental in displacing more than a total 100 (of Windows XP + Vista OS) into Windows Se7en in 2010. Hope to better that record in 2011. :pope:

started using 7 recently,loving it so far so :D

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's no such thing as 'best' OS. Sure everyone can have their preference, but this post is about is dispelling the myth that one OS is inherently better than the others. It may be true that one is cheaper (or even free!), or better suited for a particular task, or a particular group of users - but internally all modern protected mode operating systems are more similar than dissimilar.

All modern operating systems are going to achieve roughly equal performance. Sure, there WILL be slight variations, and one OS may be better at a particular type of task than another - simply due to the way it is designed or optimized (usually the latter). Think one OS is doing something so novel that it truly puts it above the competition in terms of performance (not speaking of user interface or other user-centric things)? Thing again, look again. If it is worth anything, it has been implemented in the other popular OSes as well.

All modern operating systems are going to offer roughly equal security these days. Everyone is paying attention to security. Of course, the most commonly used OS is going to be the one that gets attacked the most - makes sense. However, if you think any OS is immune from security problems; think again.

Archived