Taskmgr slow to start - Windows 7.

alexcmia

Hi guys.

I'm using Windows 7 Corporate, Russian. Licensed. :)

Basically when I press CTRL + ALT + DEL and click start Task Manager there is a good 10 second lag before it loads. But if I type taskmgr into Run it launches up immediately. I've go ahead and replaced stock task manager with sysinternals Process Explorer, same thing. This has even happened on my stock Windows 7 system, prior to installing anything on it.

What is going on? How to make it launch blazing fast? Like it used to in Windows Vista.

• Replies 10
  • Views 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you hit Ctrl Alt Delete in windows 7 it should be taking you to the Security Options screen.. not just launching the Task Manager.. this is the time lag.. unless you have modded something in your version.. Then of course the behavior would be different and may be the cause.. See how fast by right-clicking the TaskBar and selecting Task Manager first...

Sl@pSh0ck™

+1 heath28m .... I would suggest you use Right click taskbar and choose task manager from it, it should be fast enough just like running taskmgr.

When you hit Ctrl Alt Delete in windows 7 it should be taking you to the Security Options screen.. not just launching the Task Manager.. this is the time lag.. unless you have modded something in your version.. Then of course the behavior would be different and may be the cause.. See how fast by right-clicking the TaskBar and selecting Task Manager first...

yes, it does take me to security screen, from which I select task manager, takes aroundish 10 seconds to load the damn thing.

Right click on taskbar and select task manager brings it up instantly.

Sl@pSh0ck™

what running processes do you have? A HiJackThis log would help for sure.

Yeah I would too because my little laptop brings it up going both directions in like 1.5 seconds.. Run a HiJack This! scan and save a log upload it.. as attachment... One question is to why you were bringing up the Task Manager to begin with ?

I would also open the Event Viewer and see if you have any Errors and related warnings.. that could be related to this in one way or another.. even other errors that could causing logging or triggering Werfault.exe.. Sometimes several combination of things going on could cause system lag... performance issues...

There is a delay because Ctrl + Alt + Del is an interrupt that has to halt the cpu from whatever it is doing then pull up the logon screen. Pulling up the logon screen is what takes the time, plus there is tiny delay from getting the cpu to respond to the interrupt as it has to perform several operations to store what it is currently working on into registers so that it can resume the work after the interrupt is handled.

Also if you increase priorities of processes you will add further delay to interrupt processing, so using tools to adjust priorities of your running processes can negatively impact the Ctrl + Alt + Del action if you increase stuff to realtime especially so you should leave priority handling up to the OS and never waste time with things like Process Exporer or Process Lasso etc. Well you can use them for information viewing but don't mess around with process priorities because that often does more harm than good.

Don't use Ctrl + Alt + Del if your goal is to load taskmanager, use Ctrl + Shift + Esc instead.

This is why I use Process Hacker as an additional tool.. instead of Process Lasso... ( with the prioritization thing.. ) I notice a longer time period when I am maxing out my system or something is running huge memory numbers... but all systems I have ever used have done this.. under those conditions..

I think LetePirate's explanation does it.

No there is no hijackthis or anything else on my system. It did it right from the get go, just after I installed Windows 7 Corporate. I don't mean pirated Windows 7, I have a real deal with real deal key activated from Microsoft. Company gave it to me. Right after I installed my system, nothing was on it, it started doing it.

@ LetePirate. in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, 98, 95, it did not do it. Something changed in Windows 7.

I prefer to pin the 'Process Explorer' and/or 'Process Hacker' to my taskbar - needless to say, (after displacing the Windows 'Task Manager.')

Same here...Process Hacker 2.9 :thumbsup:

Archived