How safe is it to update BIOS?

tysroby

calguyhunk

Help mod BIOS

Hi Lorraine. Sorry to know 'bout your condition.

Any particular reason you want to modify your BIOS? If you're not experiencing any trouble then it's not really a necessity for 99% of the people.

The other reason will be as I said to rectify an issue, but seeing as you've had this PC for sometime, chances are you are not experiencing a new issue suddenly anyways.

And in case you are, you're prolly better off getting it analyzed by someone who knows his comps rather than go ahead with what prolly is a not totally necessary process for you :)

You need to update BIOS only if you want to rectify a bug or to add support for new hardware maybe like a new gen processor or a graphics card for gaming. Seeing as you have special needs, it's highly unlikely that you will be an intense gamer and as for new CPU's, there's no new ones coming out for that socket (LGA 775) and in any case the C2Q that you have is gonna be plenty good for a long time to come.

Sorry for my condescension but just thought that I'll let you know. Feel free to post back for further queries :D

EDIT: I just noticed you said ..."I need motherboard driver update download for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Service pack 1 Because I updated my RAM to 8 GB..."

Any particular reason you felt the need for that much RAM? What do you use your PC for? And as per the website info, it supports 8GB natively. You don't need any updates, methinks.

Goto Start>Computer (Right Panel)>System Properties. Check "Installed Memory". If it shows 8GB, you're good :)

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RadioActive

It's perfectly safe IF (and only if) you got the right firmware and you know what you're doing. Otherwise, don't risk it. Let someone with more experience handle it.

Another good thing to note is that more and more MoBo manufacturers are releasing BIOS updates as part of their periodic driver releases.

jasonliul

Worth to take risk, recheck download the right file.

grouchysmurf

Ok, here it is...my two cents worth.. B)

If you are having instability issues, look to your driver updates first.

If you are re-imaging your system, and by that I mean starting over fresh,

this would be an acceptable time to also update bios.

If your system is running fine, no glitches, everything smooth and stable, and you are just bored......

READ A BOOK. PLAY A GAME. HAVE A CUP OF TEA.

LEAVE BIOS ALONE.

There really is no good reason to mess with the bios. It is really unnecessary and does not afford you

any real advantage unless you are some software engineer god who is counting on that 1% improvement

to some obscure kernell device.

Any "user" improvements can be realized via new software and/or updated drivers.

Now I know there are people right now screaming at their screens because of what I just said.

It is important to remember that I look at things from the average "user" point of view.

The average every day user does not need to mess with the bios. It is just fine the way it is. :D

One of the unrelenting MoBo manufacturers GIGABYTE, known for their tough stance against BIOS updating have taken more than a step back. Previously, updating most of the GIGABYTE BIOS was a dreaded chore because one had to resort to DOS. :s

Now, for some good news GIGABYTE have in recent times released a 5 MB utility called @BIOS which now allows users of GIGABYTE MoBos to update right from within a running Windows (without having to use DOS.) ^_^

It's encouraging to see BIOS updating being facilitated (for the average Joe) by more and more Developers. New innovations like Dual BIOS and @BIOS are making it easier for Noobs to evolve. 8)

• Administrator

Now, for some good news GIGABYTE have in recent times released a 5 MB utility called @BIOS which now allows users of GIGABYTE MoBos to update right from within a running Windows (without having to use DOS.) ^_^

Well, my 7 year old Gigabyte mobo had @BIOS. My point being here that it's not so much a new thing.

But yeah, agreed, BIOS updating has become safer than before. I remember updating my BIOS on my old Gigabyte mobo computer twice, from @BIOS, and now thrice on this 2 year old Asus mobo via EZFlash (that's what it's called?). :)

Well, my 7 year old Gigabyte mobo had @BIOS. My point being here that it's not so much a new thing.

In all honesty, wasn't aware that @BIOS was about 7 years old, thanks. :)

Perhaps, those fellas used to keep it under wraps. Nowadays, I do find @BIOS on the driver & utility release page. It's also being actively developed - just received an update, last month.

• Administrator

In all honesty, wasn't aware that @BIOS was about 7 years old, thanks. :)

Perhaps, those fellas used to keep it under wraps. Nowadays, I do find @BIOS on the driver & utility release page. It's also being actively developed - just received an update, last month.

I see. It was probably included with the motherboard CD. I don't quite remember but it also probably checked for it's own updates on startup. However, I still do remember it's interface. :D

Disabling AV, Firewall, stopping all the programs in background. Then updating the BIOS from Windows, those were the days. :P

• 2 weeks later...

One of the reasons i love Gigabyte is because of dual-bios! I remember doing a bios update, when suddenly the computer shutdown. I restartet and noticed that the computer started flashing over from the backup flash. Really makes you feel at ease when tinkering with the bios...

Ontopic: check the changelog. If you need the update, you should go for it (shutdown anything unneeded in the background).

Remember: If it works, don't fix it ;).

Archived