How safe is it to update BIOS?

tysroby

I've been thinking lately to update my BIOS. But I kind of afraid to do that. I heard about serious repercussions after attempting a BIOS update.

So, I would like to know if it is useful to try this, are there any risks, and if so, is it worth it to take these risks.

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is risky, but it increase performance of the mobo and make it able to work with newer processors.

I've been thinking lately to update my BIOS. But I kind of afraid to do that. I heard about serious repercussions after attempting a BIOS update.

So, I would like to know if it is useful to try this, are there any risks, and if so, is it worth it to take these risks.

Pros:

A BIOS update can contain fixes, tweaks, support for new processors or technology.

Cons:

You can brick your motherboard if not done properly.

Years ago, to update the BIOS, you had to boot your system from a floppy and use a dos-based updater to install the update. If you downloaded the wrong BIOS (say for a similar motherboard model), or if the floppy was bad, or if the power went out, you were the proud owner of a dead board. Since floppy drives have largely gone the way of ISA cards, motherboard manufacturers usually now have utilities that can check the board, download the latest BIOS, and install it while still in Windows. This is generally safer (if the power goes out you're still S.O.L., but the odds are low) and you should check the download & utilities page of your motherboard manufacturer's website. I do not know the procedures for updating BIOS in Linux.

99.9% of chance that il will work !

0.1% of chance that it won't work !

:lol:

Look at the "changelog" between your actual BIOS and the last BIOS... The problem is that it is an unpredictable science... -_-

If you accept the part of risk, do it. Else, dont change anything.

PS: There are ways for you to recover a bricked BIOS (dual-BIOS, manual editing .. so on...). But once again it is not 100% sure :sneaky:

Best probable safest time to update is when you are experiencing problems or needing hardware compatibility.

Be sure to read articles from the web about recovering from a failed BIOS update depending on your MoBo, before updating the BIOS.

Nonetheless, BIOS updating had become safer and safer through the years, and chance of recovery from a failed attempt is getting higher. Posted Image

Best probable safest time to update is when you are experiencing problems or needing hardware compatibility.

Be sure to read articles from the web about recovering from a failed BIOS update depending on your MoBo, before updating the BIOS.

Nonetheless, BIOS updating had become safer and safer through the years, and chance of recovery from a failed attempt is getting higher. Posted Image

+1

• Administrator

I didn't know but even my 5 year old PC had this feature. If it failed updating the BIOS, just insert the motherboard disk and it will auto repair the and downgrade it to the default BIOS from the BIOS file inside the CD.

It is recommend to use a pen drive and update it from BIOS page itself. If you update it from Windows, make sure you disable every security apps running.

If you specify your system specification, we can help you with updating your BIOS. :)

Wow! thanks to everyone for the replies! :)

I only created my account in August, and nsane.forums is the first forum I have ever posted on, and asked others for their opinions. It's great to see so many of you helping me out with my inquiry. I'll do my best in helping out others with my opinion.

So, after all your answers, I've decided to postpone my attempt to update BIOS. I've been having financial difficulties for some time now, so I don't want to risk anything with my PC. I don't have any money for spare parts, and also, this is where do most of my job-hunting :)

Anyway the reason, I meant to go through with this update, is because I like to try new things with my PC and I wanted to learn something new.

So thanks again for all your help!

You know if you are thorough enough in making sure that the update is for your precise motherboard numbers.. and version.. There really should not be any problems.. and oddly enough I have used Floppy disc and USB.. I think I even flashed a BIOS from with Windows once.. with no problems..

• Administrator

I've updated my BIOS twice, both the times from Windows, both the time with success. :D

It should be noted that Leetpirate helped me both the times. :)

I tell people that BIOS upgrades (and firmware upgrades generally) should only be performed under 2 circumstances...

1. The new BIOS fixes a problem(s) that you can't live with in your current BIOS.

AND/OR

2. The new BIOS has a new feature(s) you can't live without.

And, "because it's the latest" is NEVER a valid reason to update. ;)

• Administrator

Just wonder what should "improved System Stability" mean. :think:

Sometimes I wonder that too.. you see it everywhere... Probably better firmware for the chips on the board which are not normally covered.. I do know that if manufacturer like Dell or HP issue an update.. for your BIOS and Model .. its best to do it.. Its not always smart to update it based on Author like Phoenix.. version number.. Some cases its necessary to open it and look inside to find the number for the board printed on it if there is discrepancy or second thoughts ... its good to be precise.. in the past I have had new features like Hardware Lock out and Password Protection of the BIOS come with the Flash Upgrade..

• Administrator

Well, currently, I have one single update that says Improved System Stability and added support for (more) new processors. I remember Leet mentioning it being quite better when updating via a flash drive, that's why, just today, I ordered my engineer to buy a 8GB pen drive for first time in my life. Well, never felt a need for it. :P

You know if you are thorough enough in making sure that the update is for your precise motherboard numbers.. and version.. There really should not be any problems.. and oddly enough I have used Floppy disc and USB.. I think I even flashed a BIOS from with Windows once.. with no problems..

I think that you're right, but believe me, we have serious power issues in the area where I live. I mostly use my computer in the evening and at night. Sometimes I experienced blackouts several times a night. I think the electrical company is to blame for both the reasons I had to take my PC into service. And it was so frustrating when i was working on an MS Word document or playing Mass Effect 2, and then I had to wait 15 minutes dead in the water, when the power suddenly went out. And this actually happened several times an evening, on more the one occasions.

NewEraCracker

I have updated my Bios once in home computer via Windows and process went smooth.

Read manufacturer instructions and disable antivirus and update will go smoothly, it taken a minute or two last time :)

• 2 weeks later...

I see some Good advice and some Bad advice above.

The Best Advice is ONLY update your BIOS IF it adds a feature you need.

As stated above Newest does Not Equal Best in all cases.

Also, do Not Flash from within Windows unless you have No Other choice, Most MB Bricks happen when Flashing from Windows.

Use CPUz (Motherboard Tab) or similar to check your Exact MB Make and Model.

If you aren't sure about that, Open your PC and Look at the Exact Make/Model that is Written on your MB.

If you Flash the Wrong Bios Update you will almost certainly Brick (i.e. render it useless) your MB.

It is Always safest to Flash from DOS with the Proper BIOS Update and Flash Utility from the MB Manufacturer

(Or From the correct OEM PC Manufacturer if you have an OEM PC like Dell, HP, etc.).

You can use the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to make a Bootable USB Drive to Flash from DOS.

I posted a guide to doing that on the MyDigitalLife Forum.

Google: Make A bootable USb drive For Flashing From DOS

Always make a Recovery Disk (or USB Drive) Before you Flash a Bios Update, that way if there is a Problem you can restore the Older Working BIOS.

Again, an Excellent BIOS Recovery Thread can be found at MDL.

Google: BIOS Recovery procedures

Just so you have some background on me,

I have Successfully Modified (adding SLIC 2.1 info) somewhere around 3,000 - 4,000 AMI and Award Bios Updates for people and the Only time they Brick is when someone does NOT follow the basic Rules listed above.

I've modded the bios on my desktop, my wifes desktop, my laptop, my buddies desktop, & his laptop within windows on all of them. And no bricked mobos. Everything went as planned. With the new bios tools available...flashing has become pretty safe.

I have updated my old comp BIOS twice. And yes, it's totally safe. :)

• 1 year later...
Lorraine Smith Smith

I have backer’s muscular dystrophy muscle atrophy disease Help mod BIOS RAM and Processor running at 800 MHz Processor front side Bus speed: 1066 MHz and RAM motherboard 800 MHz, 1066 MHz, 1333 MHz processor dependent can move fingers and head used Dragon naturally speaking dictation. May take me a while to respond going to give you all information at one time, my motherboard be tweaked DDR2 PC2-8500 CL=7 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-1066 1.8V 256Meg x 64 bit

What tools will l need have never dune I know before do anything backup BIOS haven’t figure that out lol

I need motherboard driver update download for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Service pack 1 Because I updated my RAM to 8 GB processor front bus speed 1066 9DDR2 PC2-8500 CL=7 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-1066 1.8V 256Meg x 64 bit) BIOS are old.

Asus for HP Pavilion Elite m9040n

ASUS IPIBL-LA Motherboard Specifications: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077641&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N31HP/Compaq name: Berkeley-GL8

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01154933&lc=en&cc=us&destPage=document&dlc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen

HP-Pavilion GN553AA-ABA m9040n

HP Pavilion Elite m9040n Desktop PC

Serial Number: CNH7372JFD

Product Number: gn553aa

Release date

20-Aug-2007

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Berkeley 1.xx

Bus Clock: 267 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 5.07 08/08/2007

Manufacturer: Asus IPIBL-LA

Form factor: uATX

Chipset: Intel G33

Memory sockets: 4 x DDR2

Front side bus speeds: 1333, 1066, and 800 Mhz

Processor socket: 775

Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16

2 PCI Express x1

1 PCI

Form Factor

Micro-ATX: 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24. cm (9.6 inches)

Chipset

Northbridge: Intel G33

Southbridge: ICH9R

Processor

Core 2 Quad Q6600

Operating speed: Up to 2.4 GHz

Number of cores: 4

Socket: 775

Bus speed: 1066 MHz

BIOS Type: Unknown

BIOS Date: August 8th 2007

BIOS ID: 5.07-None

BIOS OEM: 5.07

Chipset: Intel 29C0 rev 2

SuperIO: Unknown

Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

Motherboard: GN553AA-ABA m9040n

i just used the asus bio update tool and boom i updated without issue :P

RobrPatty
You can rebuild your bios to SLIC 2.1 and then flash it. Piece of cake.

Until recent times, BIOS updating used to be a calculated risk. There were many risks involved such as:-

• Overclocking instabilities
  • Power failures
  • Malware infestations
  • Other hardware conflicts, etc., etc
However, the latest motherboards come shipped with dual BIOS. So, even if the main BIOS gets hosed or corrupted, the secondary BIOS kicks in and ensures that the system continues to boot and work normally. This gives even a simpleton a working chance of reviving (restoring) the failed main BIOS.

The good news is that just even the secondary BIOS can also be updated; unfortunately, not many owners of dual BIOS are aware of the procedure which is different from updating the main BIOS.

Archived