Anti Virus Needed?

AshTheGamer

Hi there,

I am currently running Windows 7, I like my fast internet speeds from when I had an Anti Virus "Kaspersky 2010" I am wondering do I really need one or want one is there any other sort of software I can have that wont slow down my browsing etc...

Many Thanks,

• Replies 32
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

antivirus software normally do not effect ur internet connection and browsing speed :)

well I don't have an AV like eset or kapersky or avira etc

actually I don't have anything set to real time protection.

I only have trojan remover, which most of the time doesn't detect ****, and MBAM....oh yeah, there's Hitman Pro as well....But then again, I don't really need an AV, since I avoid fishy looking sites with fishy url's

Imo, common sense is the best av.....If you know what you're doing, then you're better off without an av.

well I don't have an AV like eset or kapersky or avira etc

actually I don't have anything set to real time protection.

I only have trojan remover, which most of the time doesn't detect ****, and MBAM....oh yeah, there's Hitman Pro as well....But then again, I don't really need an AV, since I avoid fishy looking sites with fishy url's

Imo, common sense is the best av.....If you know what you're doing, then you're better off without an av.

Although it's true that common sense is your best defense but it doesn't negate the need for an adequate form of protection, in this case an anti-virus.

I really don't want a always on Anti-Virus can anyone recommend me a Spyware, Trojan remover. Malware bytes maybe?

Can Anyone suggest a different one?. MBAM keeps blocking my sites IP, I add it to the ignore list and it still blocks it, this is really annoying.

I do not use antivirus. I have Windows 7 with the latest updates from Windows Update, Opera and Comodo firewall. I removed IE and WMP, I set up a password on my account and the main Admin, and I scan all suspicious files on virustotal.com

Once every few weeks I use the Kaspersky, Dr Web Cure It! or GMER to scan my PC and is still clean :)

HIPS doesn't 'catch viruses.. 'Host-based Intrusion Prevention System.. ' Which means it locks various resources from being accessed by other applications or w/e... HIDS is Host-based Intrusion Detection System .. which means instead of it being locked out and rules applied.. It detects when something is trying to as well.. and leaves it up the user.. instead of Admin or predefined NIPS.. stands for Network-based Intrusion Prevention System.. which means that one system or hardware device monitors all aspects of traffic coming in and out.. and runs a client of some kind in some cases.. which monitors system activity.. and the rules set or access allowed is done from or by the man system as well as logging..

So instead of catching or removing detecting a virus.. this will prevent any alteration of system resources..prevent it from interacting.. while your system itself CAN still be infectious to others.. on the network or elsewhere ..as long as that infection does not interfere or try to piggy-back on the back end of other things.. SO its not full proof .. but helps maintain a system in the state you want it.. and shows/protects things that others will not..

Symantec is Norton.. Webroot ranked high for awhile but I never used it..

Would anyone recommend, synamtec enterprise antivirus or webroot.

Would not recommend a Norton Enterprise solutiion

I would sure Recommend a Norton 2011

+1 for Norton.

It seems to be part of the lightest and is efficient (at Kaspersky level)

++

PS: Does anyone has tested the "gamer" versions of Norton family ????

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't want a always on Anti-Virus can anyone recommend me a Spyware, Trojan remover. Malware bytes maybe?

like marik said in a previous post you you can live without an AV. i am using rollback rx and geswall realtime and on demand mbam, trojan remover and hitman pro. if anything happens i can restore my system to a previous (better) state.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am currently running Windows 7, I like my fast internet speeds from when I had an Anti Virus "Kaspersky 2010" I am wondering do I really need one or want one is there any other sort of software I can have that wont slow down my browsing etc...

Many Thanks,

http://www.eset.com/home/nod32-antivirus

is your solution.

I had few days testing with Vipre antivirus Premium...

That's light (can be found @ CC)

PS: Does anyone has tested the "gamer" versions of Norton family ????

i can`t seem to find it anymore on their site. all the links lead to norton antivirus...

Archived