CD/DVD Drive Not reading correctly

Sonar

Help!

I have a Satalite Pro L40 Laptop.

CD/DVD Drive Pioneer DVD/RW DVR-K17A.

The drive worked fine untill now. It is reading my game discs wrong.

I tried formatting the laptop from vista to XP - that didnt solve the issue.

Instead of reading the game files its showing just 1 filename of numbers. (the disc works on another laptop)

microsoft fix it: used: - some lil tool that "tries" to fix it but didnt.

power tools: used

regvac: used

Edit

in my computer the drive is labled as "DVD-Ram Drive" im sure it didnt say that before.

the disc is being read as .256 exstention

this is annoying it does the same thing with a normal game CD-Rom (the same game)

I'm using the Performace edition 2009 (i wonder if that has blocked playing games?)

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using an emulator of any kind? and have you checked the drivers or tried rolling them back.. It should not be read as a RAM Drive.. I would also make sure you look for new Firmware for the exact make and model... Check your BIOS for any additional settings that could shed some light on the issue...

Using an emulator of any kind? and have you checked the drivers or tried rolling them back.. It should not be read as a RAM Drive.. I would also make sure you look for new Firmware for the exact make and model... Check your BIOS for any additional settings that could shed some light on the issue...

i removed the drivers / drive from device manager and rebooted - drivers are fine it installed it self - but still showing as dvd-ram :s

Is this one of the Drives that can be used as either... Supposed to be really fast or good.. been awhile back when they released these..

I think it is supposed to have the extra RAM inside that it uses instead of using system RAM.. I have never actually used seen one of these.. but I remember reading about them somewhere..

What happens when you eject the drive.. Door open?

Is this one of the Drives that can be used as either... Supposed to be really fast or good.. been awhile back when they released these..

I think it is supposed to have the extra RAM inside that it uses instead of using system RAM.. I have never actually used seen one of these.. but I remember reading about them somewhere..

What happens when you eject the drive.. Door open?

I can eject and put in the discs as normal - but its failing to run dvd media - ive even tried to run a disc from first booot (wont even run my vista disc)

ive tried a reg tweak still nothin :(

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletin.jsp?soid=445782

ok i tried to install game through safemode and got an error msg data error (cyclic redundancy check) (ox17) (abort retry ignore)

Did you search and try new/most recent firmware an compatibility with Vista?

not tried any firmware update - ill try to find one

google doesnt like me .....

Instead of reading the game files its showing just 1 filename of numbers. (the disc works on another laptop)

Can you post the following:-

01.) The actual name of your game files . . . . . . and

02.) A screenshot of the file-name (as read by your CD / DVD drive.)

Command and Conquer - The Decade (DVD CD) (Filename - 00000000.256)

Cammond and Conquer - Red Alert 2 (PC CD) (blank cd)

Tried deleteing the drive cache. tried the upper lower filters - they arnt to be seen in the registery (so i tryed the reg tweak to add them) that didnt work lol.

tried everything but a firmware upgrade that i cant find - as google says the only file needed is a single file.

My disc drive goes crazy trying to read what ever is on dvd discs :s Ive tried using a cleaner too.

belie you did try:

Start; Control Panel; System; Hardware devices, Locate and uninstall all emulators as well as the actual drive... restart; long wait, start; system;hardware; add new hardware

belie you did try:

Start; Control Panel; System; Hardware devices, Locate and uninstall all emulators as well as the actual drive... restart; long wait, start; system;hardware; add new hardware

unsure of where you mean

Ive uninstalled the drive from device manager and rebooted.

fair enough, first step covered, unfortunately have no better suggestions (after all that has been covered already) as such

apart from one more obvious as Heath says- BIOS misconfiguration of some sort or as unlikely, but actual hardware failure?

if your DVD drive is the type that can be ejected, did you try to eject via 'Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media' You could clean up the terminals before seating the drive back . . . . . . . . . . to reboot.

I dont see any option for that, where would one look? (the cd/dbd drive doesnt apeer in the taskbar) if that whats you mean like a usb drive

if the os uninstaller isnt working - does unlocker remove Cd/DVD drive files?

in administrative tools, storage management, delete drive

ok im in computer mamangement i dnt see my cd/dvd drive in the volume area.

(i see my drive there) (E:) under the volume (on the right) under my HD.

change drive letters (with in this screen delete drive letter) <<< is this what i want to do ?

eject

properties

help

one second i am going to screen shot my management screen

screenshot1

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1347/49867006.jpg

screenshot2

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6241/78284772.jpg

My drive is not showing so i can right click same as my hard drive.

@dsc18 The eject button is there and my drive doesnt freeze when trying to run a disc it just constantly trys to read then in the end shows me unknown file types.

I know this is another story but D drive only has 1 file in there :s "H07789EN.tag" - isit safe to delete that?

It's a better idea to eject through the 'My Computer' than through the 'Computer Management' to avoid running into an I/O issue.

Click 'Start' ---->> click 'Computer' ---->> right click 'DVD drive' ---->> click 'Eject'

Extricate the DVD drive hardware and inspect it thoroughly (especially the terminals - clean if necessary.) Reboot and you should be alrigfht.

I click eject and the drive opens? isit meant to be doing something else? :s lol

Ive deleted the E: from computer management and set it to reboot. - its back up - no drive within my computer and none showing in management.

now to add new hardware?

its said its already work ok - check device management and drive is still there.

ok uninstalled again from device manager. reboot.

No, all is fine (even your screenshots.) ;)

Now, is there any safety catch (lock) right next to your physical DVD drive which can be unlocked so that your complete DVD drive can be unhooked away and out of your laptop (I have this on my IBM ThinkPad, most DVD drive on IBM laptops are detachable.)

no catch that i can see - as far as i can work out i gotta open it up to change drive.

ok i can click eject from computer management - but it says "the eject command could not be completed"

Archived