Search engine alternatives to google

avmad

Looking to get away from Google. Im using Scroogle atm but it still uses google. Really want some good alternatives that have nothing to do with the privacy stealing google ;)

I know theres loads out there so please any suggestions for a good alternative? Hopefully with absolutely nothing to do with the big G.

Does anyone here not use Google? and can recommend something to save me trying out loads myself :D

Cheers.

Remembered ixquick so im trying that.

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are only four real search engines left; Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft (Bing.com) & Ask.com.

All of the other search engines use one of these main 4 engines to fetch the results.

Because you really just don't have many options to choose from.

Yahoo! is the best alternative to Google. Of coarse right now Yahoo! and Microsoft are in a partnership where they share some search results.

It is a possibility they may emerge into one engine in the future.

Other search engines like Lycos, Netscape, AOL, Hotbot, AllTheWeb, etc. no longer have their own search engines.

You can search all 4 engines at once with Dogplie.

Thanks.:)

Bing is the best alternative to Google, it works fast and good. I use it many times when I'm not using Google. Bing gives good results.

Yea I know Microsoft and Yahoo had some type of agreement to try to compete against Google but the reason I prefer bing is their site is cleaner and it loads faster than yahoo.

Looks like Yahoo uses google as well. ixquick probably has a touch of google in one of its searchers. Maybe the only alternative is Bing, but if they use yahoo then hmmm.

Im liking the privacy of ixquick so far, but looks like you can't escape from google :frusty:

I used to use http://www.altavista.com/ You may want to give it a try.

Altavista also uses Yahoo! for search engine.

Looks like Yahoo uses google as well

No Yahoo! and Google are completely separate engines, you may get some same results that's it.

It would be nice to have a new search engine, there used to be many to choose from instead of the four that we have now "Google, Microsoft (Bing), Yahoo! & Ask.com".

If Yahoo and Bing emerges into one then we will only have 3 search engines.

All other search engines are just indexes of the four we have now, they are not their own engines.

Thanks.:)

Yahoo uses google adsense, or it did. Im not that bothered, im not making all out war against google lol. Just trying to find something google hasn't got its claws into. Thanks for the suggestions folks. :)

I use WebCrawler and Metacrawler.. and you can configure what it uses.. some good options.. You can search for those.. LOL or you can add a .com and be there.. Also, if you use OpenDNS .. you can configure in your Dashboard of your free account the search page.. that will popup when you type something and search from the URL bar.. so I use those two.. and Bing.. I am sort of a Google hater myself.. I feel the same way about AOL...I mean like every application .. and sometimes Winamp too..( though I do love it so.. and they actually work on this one.. but .. FAIL.. install FAIL.. run program.. FAIL.. go through nine miles of red tape.. FAIL.. gone .. Reminds me of .. oh wait.. yeah a few Google programs.. and other things that have you wondering what really are these people doing to your systems version after version.. ) I have Google Analytics blocked in ALL of my browsers and system.. When the forums here upgraded.. I like to have lost my S#$%^.. blocking all of these GOOGLED things.. but after I pulled the files apart and realized where they were from and what for.. I was okay changing my filter to actually do things correctly..( mainly because of the major flaw they have had repeatedly over the years with it.. and the .js files.. ) .. and I almost forgot.. I never allow it to be trusted when Google tries to connect through HTTPS.. using ESET.. so when they try to backdoor me.. my browser.. or my data.. its usually is sort of a loss... for them... Funny thing.. I have a mail account there.. and some sources I do and can let through when I need to.. but if it changes.. I won't use it.. its sort of an extra anyway...

Yeah I have a gmail account :lol: They are everywhere. Its too much work trying to avoid it all. I'll just block what comes easy :D

This one i've been using today must have it somewhere, see the pic. It uses a lot of engines. I searched for something they should all find just to find out, you can see by the link who found it. Bound to be some google in there somewhere lol. Regardless its a pretty good search regarding privacy.

ncf6fa.jpg

i used to use Ask before Google became a goliath as a search engine ....

and yes it does irritates one , when it comes to privacy regarding the Google .

it is prying on every computer connected to the net , n its sick ...

as of now , when it comes to searching , i dont think there is much of an option but Google ...

its a F$#@ng drone , which knows everything that is out there ...

u can try this Firefox add on -- Google Sharing .

it says it blocks Google services from tracking what u do ...

this is what the developer page has to say about it ----

"GoogleSharing is a special kind of anonymizing proxy service, designed for a very specific threat. It ultimately aims to provide a level of anonymity that will prevent Google from tracking your searches, movements, and what websites you visit. GoogleSharing is not a full proxy service designed to anonymize all your traffic, but rather something designed exclusively for your communication with Google. Our system is totally transparent, with no special "alternative" websites to visit. Your normal work flow should be exactly the same. "

GS Home page

and install Ghostery ...

it blocks all those trackers on a web page ...

;)

I've got Ghostery blocking all 281 or whatever it is :D Great addon.

I'll have a look at the google sharing one, thanks.

heath doesn't openDNS block all the good stuff on the net? ;)

Just use Bing! That's the only 100% dead sure search engine that is completely separated from Google. Bing is not the same as Yahoo, Bing just has access to Yahoo search engine database because of some deal Microsoft made with Yahoo but that's all they are still separate but Bing is better. both Yahoo and Bing are separate from Google completely so you have those choices.

Just a note, AltaVista is owned by Yahoo now and Yahoo still is separate from Google, they are rivals they don't share anything, Yahoo has their own ads system and won't be using anything from Google. I used to use AltaVista back in the 90's because they were good and fast loading site which was great since I had dial up back then. Google destroyed AltaVista then Yahoo bought them.

I've got Ghostery blocking all 281 or whatever it is :D Great addon.

I'll have a look at the google sharing one, thanks.

heath doesn't openDNS block all the good stuff on the net? ;)

LOL.. You know I dunno.. most of the time if it comes up .. or is triggered by crappy typing skills... from the URL Bar.. I can find whatever it is.. but there have been some times when you really need broader scope of results because of the search string or something.. and if I don't find it on the first page I hit F6.. then Tab.. and type and search Metacrawler..If I am looking for something MS related I definitely use Bing.. I have my parents use Bing too..

OH and remember your settings.. on your Dashboard .. ( and if your not your Network Administrator ) if you haven't set your settings then it is going to be on defaults and blocking certain places.. I actually had to have them unblock my mail server... the main one.. so I could get through.. and I had to go through and change settings.. but you now that sort of thing happens.. AND I was able to get through several places..LOL..

• Administrator

Just use Bing! That's the only 100% dead sure search engine that is completely separated from Google. Bing is not the same as Yahoo, Bing just has access to Yahoo search engine database because of some deal Microsoft made with Yahoo but that's all they are still separate but Bing is better. both Yahoo and Bing are separate from Google completely so you have those choices.

+1 Bing is clearly the best 100% different alternative to Google.

Yea I know Microsoft and Yahoo had some type of agreement to try to compete against Google but the reason I prefer bing is their site is cleaner and it loads faster than yahoo.

whichloadsfaster.com

Interesting site henz. Bing was a lot faster than google in my tests, thanks.

Archived