MFT/External Hard Drive Error - System Stop

HX1

Okay update: Several changes have taken place and I am now able to use the drive as intended.. the light still flashes oddly however..

I have used a Spotmau BootCare disc to wipe the drive.. on old hardware.. ( M&D's computer ) took about three days..After pulling all of the data minus.. MacOSX Snow Leopard ISO and DMG, and all four of my VHD's... Next... I partitioned the EHD.. and did Full long version formats on each.... Took the drive casing apart and changed one thing.. There was a jumper which was supposed to be in one of two places.. the first place where it was.. was for Master Ultra-ATA connector.. and the second was for Slave.. I removed it from Master and put it on Slave ( as instructed n the front of the drive ) even though its USB and a Yellow cable...not for sure if it had anything to do with it but it would seem so.. as I know normally mounted the HD will not even allow a boot..

In the last two days, I have also disabled the Windows Desktop Manager, as I do not have Aero capabilities.. nor any of the nice features that come with it... and its not necessary.. so the feature has been disabled.. This was originally done because several users were finding hangups in some of their favorite programs.. Like TrueTransparency.. and could help in a few cases..Also removed a redundant error in my Logs.. I also have found and am using a small program called NoSleepHD.. which keeps all of my drives from Seagate from going to sleep..

I just managed to pull off two things I could not complete before. Full Partition Backup with Acronis.. and a complete defrag of ALL files produced ( 3 GB file sizes ).. without one minuscule little hiccup.. and I mounted the backup as well.. everything running as it should..

Cross all of your fingers and toes.. :)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 28
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know.. I know old thread bump but my EHD's are doing it again.. System Freeze soon.. Today in an effort to find out how to take apart my other Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive.. I found some interesting notation about SATA Drives not being compatible with some motherboards..

Question: Could not having the Jumper to turn off auto-negotiation ( 3 Gb/s transfers ) on which cuts that off and down to 1.5 Gb/s.. ( which I would never utilize anyway being this is all done through USB 2.0 ( 480 MB/s )... effect the issue that keeps recurring? possibly.. Are there other settings to address? So far I have taken the second drive apart and actually put a jumper on the disc.. after using Piriform to defrag ( from Hirens ) the drive after UD3 kept locking up the system.. I also took the jumper off the other original thought cause of the problem ( Iomega/Seagate ) and turning it into a Slave Drive instead of Master which it was set at.. Sorry, correction 'Cable -Select' not Master..

Any useful info would be nice concerning the issue or your inputs.. Thanks.. and going to be using the drives as per normal again.. to test.. in the meanwhile.. :P

• Administrator

My old computer had this. It's the VIA chipset or something that doesn't support 3Gb/s transfers and only supports 1.5Gb/s. I called my engineer while he was buying it, I told him to buy a jumper one but he said that even jumper ones would cause problem if there is any, bought the 3Gb/s one, tested it, didn't get recognized by the BIOS, did that jumper thingy in the HDD, same problem. Next day he sent me one that was manufactured to run at 1.5Gb/s. Hope that helps. :)

Yeah I read about several ways to get them to still work.. but... being its mounted and on USB I would think.. this would be different.. and when I boot up.. and have it pugged in.. the listing shows it.. still.. just not in the BIOS for booting or w/e...

Archived