MFT/External Hard Drive Error - System Stop

HX1

Okay Having some issues with an External Drive.. ( USB 2.0 )

It is an..

Iomega 320 GB ( + 6years old usable 298.06 GB )

Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Ultra-ATA ST332082 0A 3.AA

About 90 GB has been used on the drive... of that some files are upwards of 7GB.. I try to split my backups into 3 GB size files compressed and encrypted... Very important personal archive.

I am using it on ..

Windows 7 Ultimate...

This drive is full of very important files.. I cannot screw this up and is why I am asking for assistance and input on how to repair the drive... I actually partly posted in this issue in the Software Forum concerning some system freezes... ( Please browse through the topic ) but it seemed to not be VB... and I have worked on several things since.. The problem has recurred..

I ran Test Disk today on the drive after trying to backup my system.. which cause a complete System Stop.. I also had an error when copying from this drive to another Seagate EHD.. I tried to Rebuild the MFT after having found that the MFT was good and the Backup MFT was inconsistent or bad ...and it locked up again.. The light goes off the drive continues to spin.. and I have to turn off the System manually, Reboot and as soon as the system turns off the light comes back on..

Nothing else has found any errors.. So I ran R-studio to see if any files on the drive have been corrupted so that I may try to recover the data and shred it.. During this process.. I keep logging errors in R-Studio like this' "Unexpected MFT record ( insert number here like 46640 ) at ( insert number here like 110049096192 ). If you are scanning RAID and this message will reappear constantly, check RAID for consistence. " I am currently 41% finished... and have probably logged over a hundred entries like this ...

I have tried using Boot Discs to find problems with the drive, CHKDSK.. I have turned on NTFS Self Healing for the drive.. ran diagnostics.. and found nothing but this error.. with Test Disk and R-Studio...

Now.. what should I do.. with what and how precisely as to not loose or corrupt any of the data on this drive? I am up to do it.. I just need precise instructions as this is not something I can feel my way through and deal with/repair the mistakes later... So I need some one who knows...

• Replies 28
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have it.. but the new version I don't.. the old version which isn't Windows 7 Compat.. plus I think its destructive in its recovery .. not for sure its been a number of years since I have had an opportunity to use it...

Well, HDD Regenerator might return your data, but there is also chance that data will be lost. This is written as important info in their program.

Cheers ;)

What I was sort of wondering is if it could fix the MFT... I know that the drive itself seems to be fine by all checks I have run .. Unless it finds something.. which would make sense if it recovered a sector which included data of some kind.. that warning you speak of is sort of what had me worried.. I don't want to loose the whole drive.. Sort of stuff is irreplaceable...

I've got the Win7 compatible version. I can upload it for you , if you want it.

That would be cool.. :) I have the trial from the site already.. but haven't installed.. I never installed the other version because I really don't deal with a lot of drives.. nor issues.. with drives..

EDIT: R-Studio just finished and it seems to have recognized files and other partitions.. outrageous.. I have take a look at something before I post the screen shot.. but there are like a hundred entries.. which doesn't add up.. unless I am reading it wrong.. but it is reading things from HFS+, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS .. several.. and I have only ever had it in FAT32, and NTFS.. So I am guessing it is finding files that can be recovered even after a several full formats? I dunno.. Will post back in a bit.. ( Been a while since I have used R-Studio too ... LOL )

Well, if you used only FAT32, then you should checked to search just that. And, yes it's possible to recover after several formats, since files are not overwritten. Old files gets overwritten only if you placed some new files. But, even then, Windows will choose place on HDD that was never used. So, if you never fully filled you HDD there is always chance that you can get back some very old data.

Cheers ;)

Yeah.. I believe that is exactly what has happened.. found some weird stuff.. IBM stuff.. DRDOS... found boot and MFT files.. Things that might have come from the factory..

I must have had the settings different before... or they added something in R-Studio.. Before it would just show a list of files .. with an X that I could recover.. now I can use each one of those items you see.. that runs on for about 6 page down scrolls... ( attachments show above )... and each one has something different and the Extra Files that it has found..( with an X ).. HFS+ I don't know where that came from .. it's Apple though.... Don't know.. I am afraid to close the program too because I don't want to have wait another 4-6 hours for a complete scan..LOL...

I was just thinking you know I remembered choosing R-Studio for a reason.. I think I am fully confident now that if I ever need to recover something I can definitely do it..

I've got the Win7 compatible version. I can upload it for you , if you want it.

That would be cool.. :) I have the trial from the site already.. but haven't installed.. I never installed the other version because I really don't deal with a lot of drives.. nor issues.. with drives..

Here you are:

SITE: http://www.mediafire.com/
CODE: ?39ii96ycjc3nm4t

• Administrator

Please note that HDD Regenerator 2011 was released just a few hours ago. It should take a few days t get a working fix.

Have you tried it? I'm not going to use it because I don't have any damaged HDD. But I'll download in case I need it when fix be released.

Could be that little warning they are always talking about too.. One of the reason I though you know.. if I had a HDD.. that was giving a huge problem.. and I needed to get what I could off of it after buying a new one.. I would use it to straighten the drive up enough and recover what I needed.. or use it as a temporary fix..until then..( thats if I have all the tools to keep the system running proper )..

I found three files relative to my MFT BTW.. Mirror MFT, MFT, and Partially 'something' MFT.. wass wondering if there would be something else I need to do with Test Disk to try to ( FIX ) the MFT..

BTW hav u tried testdisk very usefull i ve used it my HDD was curropt while lightning it succesfully recovers the partioions of the abovesaid HDD and the data too safe and sound!!!! ohh and hows Rstudio works for you?

R-Studio is great.. in fact I have the last two sections.. ( and remember I have and see only one when plugin the drive ) Now if you put all of these on top of one another you would have a complete list of everything that R-Studio could read off the drive... and I think that the color coding system means Red is not going to recover but can be read..Orange is probably.. and anything in green is definitely.. The yellow entry for extra files I believe are file which do not match the partition MFT.. ( could not find a guide on it though )...

Test Disk I have like I mentioned above.. but I need someone who has experience in using it..to sort of walk me through what I need to do..

yeah i've used it xactly in the guide which is mentioned By DKT27 very usefull i recovered almost everything frm the fried HDD

• Administrator

Hope this helps for TestDisk guide. :)

Thank You DK! .. much appreciated.. should of looked around some more..LOL :thumbsup:

Anytime heath28m. Wish I would had been more helpful afterall, you've helped us so many times. Lets see if TestDisk does it. You'll find whole index on TestDisk homepage > Documentation.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I have narrowed the problem down to it being something with either Windows 7 Ultimate.. or my computer itself.. does this no matter what external device I use.. Really baffled on this one.. I have checked drivers and all.. what is odd I used to have the same issue when I plugged in or removed a headphone jack into my system.. but now for some reason it has moved fro that..which gives no issues anymore.. to the USB devices...

IF I had money this would not be a problem and this laptop would be decorating a landfill somewhere...

I enabled Write Caching on the two externals because they basically stay connected...

Now last night.. I noticed the light o the front.. ( one blue.. ) was dimmer than it used to be.. the and upon farther investigating found the drive to be scanning itself or being accessed by something.. My cpu resources were like nothing was going on... and I can hear it running.. The next thing that happened was that the drive light started to flash constantly... like if I was reading the drive or the system was caching reads.. like when you open a folder .. the normal noise you get from when your writing a file isn't there.. but like I said its running and the light say its doing something.. I killed my AV.. Check defrag software, scheduled tasks.. running processes.. killed windows search and several others with no effect on the flashing light... and found nothing.. My other drive is in a sleep mode ( automatic ).. This one is old enough that I never remember it EVER doing this.. ( EDIT: I can hear the drive write something every 10 minutes or so after... or atleast the arm moving or something.. )

Today when i woke up I accessed the drive and several folders in.. the drive stopped.. ( flashing ).. and after using my system after awhile to day.. doing several downloads.. and so on.. It seems to have started it again..

My question is if I should be worried.. that the light is indicating a failing disc.. though I can find nothing wrong except a mismatch of the MFT record between current and backup.. Does anyone know whats going on? I wouldn't ask but I cannot find a whole lot out about this drive using the serial/model number or even from Iomega... as far as diagnostic is concerned.. none of the paperwork really had a guide as to what any of this means either... Thought the picture would help if anyone had owned one.. MDHD320-U model Iomega...

I have since all of this started ( system freezing and aforementioned issues ) assumed that the problem is my computer or Windows 7 as it did the exact same thing with the other EHD I have... ( mentioned in the last post I made as an edit.. ) I am curious about it.. and I have read about several problems of this kind but nothing direct.. or related to the other problems and most threads I found were.. unfinished or not resolved..

Anyway.. still hoping to find out out about my drive who now thinks it has A.I.. LOL

Archived