Firewall Choice

Hitman6267

Hi, I currently use Zone Alarm Pro as my firewall but it greatly slows down the start up of my pc, so can any one recommend a good firewall that wont affect my start up this much ?

Thank you :)

• Replies 29
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zone alarm is one of the best and it only does what u configured to do

Recomend? my absolute favourite BitDefender all in one, but there's no cracks to make it work properly after trial (1 month)

Regards other start up issues- delete few unnecesary in Start>>all programs>>Start Up (right click, delete) or get some CCleaner and delete them that way (more entries there)

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using Look N Stop for years now. It works as well or better than most and is extremely light on resources (it's taking up 9000K on my computer)

I have been using Look N Stop for years now. It works as well or better than most and is extremely light on resources (it's taking up 9000K on my computer)

Tiny/Keiro only uses 1,000K here :P

I think that Agnitum is the most complete, and you can disable unused plugins to free memory.

I've read many tests saying that it's the most robust FW.

• 1 month later...

Hi, bumping this old thread of mine because i want to know what other people think. I really want to change my firewall but I dont want one that needs a lot of configuring to work properly (expert rules and such..)

Thank you :)

I'm looking for a good firewall, that will not slow my start up like Zone Alarm is doing. Is Comodo the answer ?

I'm looking for a good firewall, that will not slow my start up like Zone Alarm is doing. Is Comodo the answer ?

Not a drastic difference but a noticable one. ZA's vsmon.exe is the culprit. :)

what does vsmon.exe do ?

I'm currently trying Comodo but I need help, my internet is cable, so in zone alarm i used to allow ping request or i would get timed out and would have to re-sign in to my isp to get my internet back. What setting should i change to make Comodo work with my internet?

Comodo is using 16000K - 30000K, is that normal ? ( Currently its set to allow all because of the timing out thing..)

what does vsmon.exe do ?

I'm currently trying Comodo but I need help, my internet is cable, so in zone alarm i used to allow ping request or i would get timed out and would have to re-sign in to my isp to get my internet back. What setting should i change to make Comodo work with my internet?

Not sure what vsmon.exe does, just know thats what slows boot time.

I honestly don't know anything about allowing ping requests. I'm sure someone here or on Comodo's forum here could help.

Comodo is using 16000K - 30000K, is that normal ? ( Currently its set to allow all because of the timing out thing..)

That looks about right.

what does vsmon.exe do ?

It is used to monitor Internet traffic and generate alerts depending on the security rules configured by the user. This is only a True Vector Monitor from ZoneAlarm.

1. Open CONTROL PANEL

2.Open ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS

3. Open SERVICES

4. Find the TRUEVECTOR INTERNET MONITOR

5. Right click on it and select PROPERTIES

6. In the STARTUP TYPE drop down select MANUAL.

Restart your computer.

That’s all there is to it.

The next time you access the internet, you MAY find that your blocked, but don’t worry. Just start up your Zone Labs firewall program and then shut the program down. This will reset all connection protocols and allow you to access the internet without using Zone Labs.

Also, as an extra plus, if you ever again use Zone Labs firewall, when you decide to close the program, VSMON will also close down too…It will not be left open running in the background.

isn't there a way to allow incoming ping? That all i need to do to make it work with my connection.

• Administrator

Why would you want to allow that?

The aim is to stay "hidden", allowing incoming ping requests would open you up to being "found".

• Administrator

I'm sorry, but i don't see anything that says that you need to enable incoming ping to connect to the service.

Yea it doesn't say that your right, but I personaly asked one of their techniciens and he told me i need to enable it because if i get timed out i will be signed out. To connect to the internet I open an IP address and i get a sign in page where i put my username and password, if incoming ping isn't allowed i will get signed out and therefore my internet will be disconnected.

• Administrator

You should be able to create a rule in comodo to allow incoming ICMP echo requests, yeh. Most firewalls will allow you to do this.

can you tell me how i can do that? because i don't have the slightest idea

P.S: I'm going away now, so i won't be able to directly reply to your reply. Thank you for all your help so far :)

Have you tried running Comodo in it's default Custom setting instead of Allow All? I ask because there's already three ICMP rules included in Network Monitor and two of them (rules #2 and #4) may be what you say you need. If they aren't below may help. I've only had to make one networkk monitor rule myself, it was for uttorent and I got the steps for that on Comodo's forum.

I'm no expert at rule creating (actually I suck at it) but you can create an ICMP Echo Request in Comodo's "Network Monitor" rules. I can guide you a tiny little bit. But don't bet on it.

In Network Monitor, click add:

Action = Allow

Protocol = ICMP

Direction = In (?)

Source IP = (Your IP?)

Destination IP = (?)

ICMP Details = ICMP Echo Request (?)

Note: (?) means I'm unsure of specific answer. They could tell you for sure on Comodo Forum, their quite helpful. Or maybe the tech at your ISP can fill in the (?) marks.

Be sure to place this rule above the block rule already in Comodo. And set Comodo back to Custom.

I was using Comodo with it's default settings but that didn't work then i set it to allow all so it wont interfere with my internet.

I was using Comodo with it's default settings but that didn't work then i set it to allow all so it wont interfere with my internet.

Will comodo work in Vista? I tried looking on faq's page but didnt see anything or maybe I missed it

*nvm* It does not ignore me

This is the rule i made, can any one check if it's correte ?

Action = Allow

Protocol = ICMP

Direction = In

Source IP = Any

Destination IP = Any

ICMP Details = ICMP Echo Request

Archived