Are you running Windows 10 22H2 64-bit on an old CPU? Be careful...

DLord
Go to solution Solved by DLord,

Complete list of affected apps (so far):

1. Calculator
2. Calendar
3. Films & TV
4. Photos
5. Paint 3D
6. 3D Viewer
7. Voice Recorder

8. Game Bar

9. Feedback Hub

Edited by DLord

I know AMD isn't specifically mentioned, but it's also specifically not mentioned either. And considering that I run a few FX series systems for their NUMA support I had to double check...

AMD Supported List:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-22h2-supported-amd-processors

Seems the entire lineup is still there from the FX-4100 onward, which is an Athlon 64 CPU from 2003 :lol:

Edited by SL0TH

On 2/2/2024 at 2:20 AM, SL0TH said:

I know AMD isn't specifically mentioned, but it's also specifically not mentioned either. And considering that I run a few FX series systems for their NUMA support I had to double check...

AMD Supported List:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-22h2-supported-amd-processors

Seems the entire lineup is still there from the FX-4100 onward, which is an Athlon 64 CPU from 2003 :lol:

Older AMD CPU owners are also reporting experiencing the problem.

It is being speculated that it may have something to do with the lack of SSE4a support on AMD CPUs and SSE4.2 on Intel CPUs.

UPDATE:

Hi, the Visual C++ team has identified the problem as a regression in the vclibs framework package that the Photos app and other apps depend on. The problem affects computers with older hardware (that do not support SSE 4.2 instructions). Microsoft is currently working on validating a solution and it's expected to rollout to affected customers soon.

Edited by DLord

2 hours ago, SL0TH said:

@DLord Awesome info, thanks!

And for further reference, SSE 4.2 was added to AMD CPUs in their 2011 Bulldozer/Zambezi lineup:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(microarchitecture)

Thanks for the info.  Indeed you are correct, but the problem was reported with CPUs prior to that series.

Edited by DLord

Until Micro$oft provides a solution as promised, if you are affected and want to have your Windows Apps back you can follow these instructions, of course on your own risk.  So make a restore point before anything!

1. Find and download following MS .appx packages:(from https://store.rg-adguard.net/)

Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe:

Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.33519.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.33519.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx

Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_8wekyb3d8bbwe:

Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.33519.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.33519.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx

2. Using Windows Powershell (not Powershell Coer/7) as admin, install and register the downloaded packages using following commands:

Add-AppxPackage Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.33519.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx

Add-AppxPackage Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.33519.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx

Add-AppxPackage Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.33519.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx

Add-AppxPackage Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.33519.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx

And the problem will be solved. :cheers:

***As of now, I am not marking this post as the solution, waiting for the final fix by MS or any better solution if provided.

Edited by DLord

Just FYI, new reports indicates same issue on Windows 11.  Obviously those users have upgraded to Window 11 bypassing the minimum hardware requirements with the existing hacks.

However the provided solution works for them as well.

Once this issue of MS Store and Windows apps are resolved (fingers crossed), we have to wait and see if the rest of the issues related to the recent updates will be addressed or not.

Edited by DLord

Some users have received updates through Windows Store which has fixed the broken apps, while others have not received any updates.  I cannot verify the situation myself since I have fixed the issue on my PC using the above provided manual fix.

It would be interesting if anyone affected here could verify this.

Thanx.

• GlacialMan changed the title to Are you running Windows 10 22H2 on an old CPU? Be careful...
  • Solution

Available solutions for the MS Store and Win Apps issue:

1. The above mentioned manual fix.

2. Install the following packages from the online Microsoft Store (which takes care of the above process):

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 UWP Desktop Runtime Package

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 UWP Runtime Package

3. Wait for Microsoft Store update to be available in your region.  But keep in mind that some users mentioned they had to uninstall and reinstall their Windows Apps alongside the mentioned update to fix the problem.

One problem solved, so many more remaining after the recent updates.

• DLord changed the title to Are you running Windows 10 22H2 x64 on an old CPU? Be careful...
  • DLord changed the title to Are you running Windows 10 22H2 64-bit on an old CPU? Be careful...
  • 4 weeks later...

Notice:  MS Store is updating Windows Terminal to the recently released version(v1.19.10573.0) and once the update is applied, same problem happens (the app opens and immediately closes/crashes)!

This is the very same problem that we experienced before with other Store apps and I suspect the same issue is behind both cases.  Until the reason behind this problem is clear/solved, I advise against updating Windows Terminal (turn MS Store auto update off).

Edited by DLord

Windows Terminal issue is also related to SSE 4.2 (POPCNT instruction).

They are yet to fix the problem!

Posted (edited)

There is a report of miscompilation in VS 17.8.6 related to POPCNT [here]

Everything worked great before Visual Studio 17.8, so 17.7.7 was building perfectly fine apps this way. Starting with 17.8.* my binary started crashing with Illegal Instruction on older hardware, on this code part from the Concurrency library

Apparently it is fixed in VS 17.9.1

Fixed a bug where the libconcrt.lib used when static linking could contain an SSE 4.2 instruction that was illegal on older X64 systems.

So the solution would be for developers to upgrade VS to v17.9  VS and MSVC, and rebuild/recompile their code.  Until then, all the apps built with VS17.8 will keep crashing on older X64 CPUs on start.

Edited by DLord

Posted (edited)

Apparently miscompilation problem is due to a specific version of MSVC that is being used by VS!

There's a compiler bug in MSVC 19.38 that results in the output of the CPUID instruction being misinterpreted, among other things. It turns out that the 1057x build series of Terminal was built with MSVC 19.38.

:pos:

Edited by DLord