Cannot boot win XP and recover?

AeonFulx

Well I'm not sure what happen but I had a fujitsu laptop and was trying out if the Recovery Disc work. So I insert in and let the computer reboot.

I got to the recovery section and I actually isn't going to do any recovery stuff so I exited and went to my BIOS section to set my setting to default (change the boot sequence). Next I found out that after gotten the Windows XP logo and before that blue bar going to start moving, I got the blue screen of death and it rebooted.

I was suspecting it was my boot thing got corrupted so I tried insert XP Pro disc to do a recovery. However I wasn't allow to do it as it says:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Wth? I had Arconis program installed so I try to enter to well back up my data to my external hdd. It still able to detect my C Drive... I have no idea why XP disc say no HDD installed and I can't format too... Same message.

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try actually using the 'Reset all settings to default' option in the BIOS. (Not sure whether you already did so)

Also a list of your system setup would be nice (CPU, RAM, HD) or a link to the specifications page.

Try actually using the 'Reset all settings to default' option in the BIOS. (Not sure whether you already did so)

Also a list of your system setup would be nice (CPU, RAM, HD) or a link to the specifications page.

Thanks for replying. Yes I did that ald and it doesn't work sadly.

I'm using Intel Core 2 CPU T5500

2 slots of 412 DDR2 SDRAM

HDD: Fujitsu MHV2080BH PL

@aeonflux

i think , the MBR , might have been corrupted .

as its not been able to start up and even cannot find the hard drive .

i ran into some what same kind of trouble ,

but that was in vista .

u might want to take a look at this post .

try this excellent tool -- Hirens Boot CD .

it has some tools for resetting the boot record and some hard drive tools too.

u will have to search n explore it a bit ...

;)

• Administrator

Safe mode works or not? It's best to go into safe mode and see what device manager says. If it doesn't work then use Hiren's BootCD and open mini xp and see.

You can try re-connecting your HDD if you can open your lappy.

You could try to reset your boot order configuration in BIOS.. some systems can be glitchy this way.. just move the HD to the top of the list and your DD next.. Then try booting consecutively three times.. ( weird but worked ).. Hopefully nothing has been altered thus far.. ( BIOS should be fine.. but other items on the HD )

• Administrator

I remember something now. When I changed my boot order on my older PC to use Live CD and then when I put it back to normal boot order, HDD, HDD, CD, it says that NTLDR is missing. I had to clear my CMOS everytime, sometimes setting it to fail-safe defaults worked though, but only some times.

Thanks. However none of these actually work...

I tried my last idea which I use Fujitsu Recovery CD and I got Windows XP Home edition now. (I have backed up my previous file thanks to Acronis).

However, I didn't want the home edition. My school got me a Professional Edition so I'm trying to install it and it still gave me this message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

I really have no idea what happen.

• Administrator

Hard disk, hmm. :think:

Is it sata hdd? Change the Sata mode in BIOS to IDE (NOT RAID). Save settings. Reboot. And try installing again.

Hard disk, hmm. :think:

Is it sata hdd? Change the Sata mode in BIOS to IDE (NOT RAID). Save settings. Reboot. And try installing again.

hmm not sure if I seen such er option. I will check that out. I'm running a chkdisk. Seesh... These thing going to give me depression sooner or later.

*Edit: I don't have such options in my bios. :(

EDIT: I got it! Well I have no idea why this time XP Disc couldn't recognise my HDD. I mean this is not my first time doing reformatting. However thanks to your hinting DKT27, I read on this article

SATA/RAID

I'm able to install XP Pro now. Sigh... After one big round... What's more depressing is I have to go down to my school to join domain. If only this was discovered earlier.

Thank you guys for helping in the troubleshooting :)

• Administrator

That's what I thought. Glad that it's solved. :)

It sucks that XP cannot be installed in Raid mode. Or you need drivers. I don't know if even Windows 7 is also having this problem. But I had it set to IDE at that time.

I absolutely HATE RAID.. every system I have ever worked on that uses Huge Drives and a RAID Stripe have been complete shit.. I won't own one either...

• Administrator

Well how about AHCI? Leet mentioned it being better. I've set it to AHCI.

It sucks that XP cannot be installed in Raid mode. Or you need drivers. I don't know if even Windows 7 is also having this problem. But I had it set to IDE at that time.

I've read many times that Windows XP only supports IDE because SATA wasn't yet available yet when XP first came out. Windows 7 comes with the hard disk drive drivers you need.

Well how about AHCI? Leet mentioned it being better. I've set it to AHCI.

AHCI is built into Windows Vista and 7. I didn't even know I had AHCI until I read Leet's post that you mentioned. But I had AHCI because Windows 7 took care of it automatically for me. My BIOS doesn't even show me the AHCI setting, but Leet said it must be set automatically in such a case.

Here's something interesting from Wikipedia:

AHCI is separate from the SATA 3Gb/s standard, although it exposes SATA's advanced capabilities (such as hot-plugging and native command queuing) such that host systems can utilize them.

• Administrator

Yea I did read wiki on it. AHCI was in hidden side of my BIOS on my old computer. Next to it was said disabled for XP. But I don't quite remember that if it was the one.

Well my file transfers are only going on at 30-50MB per seconds(copy/paste). So is keeping it to AHCI doing this. :unsure:

Hard drive performance depends on a number of factors: your hard drive (its RPM, cache size, the driver inside an external hard drive, etc.), the connection type to your computer, the fragmentation of your hard drive, etc.

The Toshiba 2.5-inch, 5400 RPM, SATA HDD in my notebook was benchmarked by HD Tune Pro v3.50:

Min: 31.4 MB/s, Max: 62.8 MB/s, Avg: 50.4 MB/s (Read Benchmark)

And my external Western Digital 3.5-inch, 5400 RPM, eSATA HDD (also HD Tune Pro v3.50):

Min: 40.8 MB/s, Max: 66.2 MB/s, Avg: 62.3 MB/s (Read Benchmark)

(Both of the above with AHCI.)

I have noticed that copy and paste depends on whether you have mostly large files or small files to transfer. Larger files tend to slow down a bit over time. I've also noticed that ESET NOD32 Antivirus slows things down too. When I copy my Documents and Downloads folders to my external hard drive, I disable ESET NOD32 first so that it's not checking all my files and so I don't get pop-up windows from it asking me what to do with this file or that file. I once did a large copy and walked away from the computer for a few hours only to find that ESET stopped the long copy dead in the water while it asked me what I wanted to do with a particular file that was very early on in my Downloads folder copy. :frusty:

That Wiki article I pointed to earlier says:

Many SATA controllers offer selectable modes of operation: legacy Parallel ATA emulation, standard AHCI mode, or vendor-specific RAID. Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating system has already been installed. Source

• Administrator

Well how much faster system can you get? I'm on 7200RPM and my normal transfers are at 30-50MB/s. BTW which software did you use to benchmark it? :rolleyes:

Oh, I forgot to ask. When you see normal transfers at 30-50 MB/s, are you copying from one folder to another folder (or one partition to another partition) on the same hard drive, or are you copying to another hard drive?

• Administrator

Another partition but same HDD.

BTW will soon test HD tune pro. I saw it's posted here. I've downloaded it.

I'm still using HD Tune 3.50, but v4.01 is available at nsane here. I should update.

Well, if you copy from one partition to another on the same hard drive, your partitions might be on the same platter so the same read/write head would have to keep moving back and forth from one partition to the other partition over and over and over.

And like I mentioned, ESET NOD32 Antivirus definitely slows things down too.

Give HD Tune a try to get a raw performance result.

Norton too... Well for what I been trying, Kaspersky 7 slightly slow down compare to others which make a big slow down.

Archived