help needed friends. vista wont boot .....

majithia23

all right guys ,

i wont go into the details as to why the vista is not booting , but

need help now to make it boot .

after ,what went wrong , the laptop screen displayed " please insert the installation disc "

i downloaded the neosmart VISTA RECOVERY DISC from demonoid.com

and it was a rar archive named --- vista_recovery_disc.iso

see the capture

post-24436-126773816243_thumb.jpg

burned it to a dvd using ImgBurn .( just added the rar archive . dint extract it ,,,,, simply added it as a whole and burned it . )

post-24436-126773835229_thumb.jpg

inserted the dvd , into my laptop and powered on .

but it dint boot.

file-boot\bcd

error -0xc000000f

error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data .

i entered the start up menu on just powering it on and under boot options directed it to boot from "intenal cd/dvd rom"

but

again same error .........

any idea,,,, help guys ,

now what to do ??????

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Normally when I have this installation disk problem or NTLDR is missing problem, I reset my BIOS and then it starts working again. But that's for XP. You can try it. In BIOS there would be something like load fail safe defaults or similar.

yes dkt

did restore the BIOS to deafult also

and again tried ,

but again same error ...........

wtf is wrong ......

" As you want to boot the computer from the Windows Vista DVD you need to press a key, and any key will do, on your keyboard when you see the above prompt. After you press the key, you should hear your DVD reader spinning up and then you will see a black screen with a white status bar at the bottom stating Windows is loading files.... After a while, the status bar will turn completely white and you will see a screen stating that Windows is loading. The Windows Setup environment will continue to load and when finished you will be presented with a screen similar to Figure 2 below. "

thanx for the link dkt .

but this option is available only if u purchased the vista .

the laptop comes with prebundled vista .

there is no installation / recovery disc supplied along with .

( only a set of recovery discs can be created for a complete fresh install.)

this is where this vista recovery disc comes helpful , as it reports .

it does the same thing as reported above .

and once after repeated hit and trials , the screen did come up saying " windows is loading files " .

but it got stuck at 75 % and dint move ahead .

so i just . switched the laptop off and tried again , but nothing .

just the same error again .....

dont know ...

help guys ....

Let me guess.. HP or Compaq? Refurbished system maybe? Could appeal to the manufacturer for the right disc.. They are usually available.. and not that expensive.. If you have a way to access your drive ( which is nice to configure and test in the event something like this happens before you get a chance to backup... ) I would say you need to re-install run a repair..restore... ( try pressing F11 on boot? ) If you can access your drive with a PE disk, look to see that all files you need to boot Vista are present..If they are not look in the recycle bin folder..or anything ending in .bak.. If you got here by editing the boot config.. Try pressing F8.. and using the Last Good Configuration to boot from.. ( then you need to undo it.. ) normally ( I recovered from this once but I am really tired and can't remember what I did exactly... That may have been it - I was too frantic and looking in too many place sfor answers.. )..I will try to remember.. been a while... I do know that if it cannot read your Boot configuration then something has went wrong with the Boot.INI.. or BootMGR..

Weird thing is getting stuck at 75%... sounds like a corrupt/bad drive... TBH.. I think that you could probably download and use any OEM install disc to recover it.. but then again this may not do it... So it is difficult... to say.. BUT...

@ majithia23

The Vista Recovery Disc is not the best option for your copy. Suggest you get your hands on Hiren's Boot CD (10.2 has been recently posted.) You got to fix your MBR. :coolwink:

Afterthoughts:-

With no offense to Vista FanBoys, my view is that this is a blessing in disguise for you if you can back your data the best idea would be to opt for a clean install of Windows Se7en. :yes:

(BTW, did you image your system with Acronis True Home Image as per our discussion . . . . . . . via PM.) :unsure:

@dcs18:

Indeed ^_^

If one is using XP and planning to update, Windows 7 is your best bet.

However, make sure your hardware components are updated as well.

Let me guess.. HP or Compaq? Refurbished system maybe? Could appeal to the manufacturer for the right disc.. They are usually available.. and not that expensive.. If you have a way to access your drive ( which is nice to configure and test in the event something like this happens before you get a chance to backup... ) I would say you need to re-install run a repair..restore... ( try pressing F11 on boot? ) If you can access your drive with a PE disk, look to see that all files you need to boot Vista are present..If they are not look in the recycle bin folder..or anything ending in .bak.. If you got here by editing the boot config.. Try pressing F8.. and using the Last Good Configuration to boot from.. ( then you need to undo it.. ) normally ( I recovered from this once but I am really tired and can't remember what I did exactly... That may have been it - I was too frantic and looking in too many place sfor answers.. )..I will try to remember.. been a while... I do know that if it cannot read your Boot configuration then something has went wrong with the Boot.INI.. or BootMGR..

Weird thing is getting stuck at 75%... sounds like a corrupt/bad drive... TBH.. I think that you could probably download and use any OEM install disc to recover it.. but then again this may not do it... So it is difficult... to say.. BUT...

@ majithia23

The Vista Recovery Disc is not the best option for your copy. Suggest you get your hands on Hiren's Boot CD (10.2 has been recently posted.) You got to fix your MBR. :coolwink:

Afterthoughts:-

With no offense to Vista FanBoys, my view is that this is a blessing in disguise for you if you can back your data the best idea would be to opt for a clean install of Windows Se7en. :yes:

(BTW, did you image your system with Acronis True Home Image as per our discussion . . . . . . . via PM.) :unsure:

thanx for ur reply guys ...

@heath

no its not a refurbished one but a new hp pavilion notebook .

just tried every f@#$n way to get a boot .

f1,f2,f3,f6,f7,f8,f9,f11,f12,f13, n dont know what all f's ...

but no way ,

every time the same screen comes.

file-boot\bcd

error 0xc000000f

boot got stuck at 75% only in one instance ,

i tried around a dozen times after that ,

but the windows doesnt even go to the point of loading files .....

dont know about the PE disk .

i ll search for it .

any other ideas ???

@dcs

my bad luck.

i told u i just installed acronis and was going to do a back up in my free time .

untill last night a weird windows update got installed due to which the pc got all jammed and i did a system restore to undo the changes .

but the restore never worked ,

leading to failure of boot .

just a few hours before the update i had installed rollback rx .

but dint take any snap shot and turned off all options for auto snap shot but also dint turn off system restore .

what do you guys think ,

could this have been the problem ...????

and dcs how exactly does this hiren boot cd work .

i just downloaded it ,

any help ....

i ll also try some hooks and crooks....

lets see ....

Get this tool, create a backup of your valuable stuff (and either upload it/put it on a USB disk or CD) and then just reformat

You'll have to download a Windows XP ISO as well.

Sl@pSh0ck™
just a few hours before the update i had installed rollback rx .

but dint take any snap shot and turned off all options for auto snap shot but also dint turn off system restore .

When you try to boot, does the rollback RX splash screen appear? You see once you installed rollbackRx it will create a baseline snapshot automatically, if you can see the rollbackrx splashscreen when booting up, press the "home" key then do a restore using your baseline snapshot.

finally VICTORY :rockon:

Vista booted .

and the laptop screen is displaying my desktop.

after a lot of hits and trials , errors and misses , overclocking the brain ,trying every permutation and combination ( command prompts,recovery,boot manager and etc etc etc.....)

perseverance prevailed and

one arrow hit the spot ...........:hitit:

here is what finally worked .....

i made my usb pendrive a bootable one . thanks to this tutorial .

copied the vista recovery disc iso image to the pendrive .

plugged it into the laptop.

power on .

entered BIOS and gave path for the system to boot from the pendrive .

boot started and bingo -- came up the windows vista welcome screen.

clicked repair.

but it couldnt repair. reported failed.

went for system restore . but again failed.

powered off.

again entered BIOS and turned off every other boot option except from usb drive.

again this time it couldnt find my OS.

and i just clicked close .

again restarted ,

and this time somehow ,,,, i really still dont know how ,,,,, but it went further and there came up the windows logo and the log on screen .

strange,,, but good enough for me ....

here are some links to some good helping tutorials , for any one who unluckily lands in same position ...

just try n try , and you dont know what would work ....

to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

Introduction to recovering and repairing Windows Vista

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment

Recovering the Vista or Windows 7 Bootloader from the DVD

EasyBCD 1.7.2

all seems fine at the moment .....

lets see what vista has in store next :)

and this time somehow ,,,, i really still dont know how ,,,,, but it went further and there came up the windows logo and the log on screen .

It fixed your MBR B)

Good to see your issue resolved one way or the other. :rockon:

• Administrator

Glad that it's solved. :)

It fixed your MBR B)

Good to see your issue resolved one way or the other. :rockon:

Glad that it's solved. :)

yup mates .

a bit sense of relief after i came close to this :pos: .

i was like , ok lets try this .

take a break n lets try this n so on ,,,,,, until finally something clicked !!

yes i too kinda figure , it reset the master boot .

only one thing i noticed ,

is that after powering on and entering advanced start up mode ( after pressing F8 ) ,

it now says in top line --- Windows Vista basic ™ ( recovered ) .

and the first option that used to be --- Repair computer

is not there .

the second option ---Safe Mode ,,,

is now the first option .

again strange .......:think:

now ,,the repair option can be accessed via the windows vista recovery disc , but not via advanced start up mode ( as was possible before ...)

any idea ????

Archived