[SOLVED] Windows Search Function Gone

Tucker

• Replies 44
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers mate!

will let you know if it works just now.

Lol. I can't wait for the next episode of Bleach either. so i've decided not to watch it, but still download it every week. :lol:

PS.

I have just check those winsxs folders in my system to see if i'd be overwriting some files but to my surprise, mine are empty! LOL

Btw, from the Wsearch.reg, SearchIndexer.exe points to %systemroot%\system32\

Should i leave a copy there too?

DK is right.. that would work possibly restoring them from i386 if it exists... Sounds like something has wiped out waaaaay too much stuff.. my suggestion would be to try that or reinstall... when something steps in and wipes out part of your OS.. then you have to most of the time.. especially when its not just files but registry as well.. and I would get as far away from that program as possibly...LOL

If not.. and you just want to reinstall Search.. go back to the last two links I posted where you can download and install for your version of Windows.

• Administrator

SFC /SCANNOW will do the job. As it may work even when CD doesn't have repair thingy.

-------------------------

In some other problem I'm facing...

sterror.png

i've just notice my Snipping tool isn't working anymore. I can't say if it is related to this or not. But it seems like everything went south after i removed Office 2010 via Total Uninstall.

Good News:-

IMO, the 'Snipping Tool' is one of the inherent components of Microsoft Office. If you install 'Office 2007' or re-install 'Office 2010' (whatever,) you should get your 'Snipping Tool' back. :)

Bad News:

Afraid your new Office is not going to help restore your 'Windows Search.' It's looking ominous that you'll need to do at least a 'Repair Re-install' of your Windows Se7en. :(

It's presence (through Editions) is generated indirectly through 'Tablet PC Components' within 'Turn Windows features on or off.' That said, my snipping tool is functional despite un-checking 'Tablet PC Components.' unsure.gif

However, as per User reports, what kick-starts it's direct functioning has been directly attributed to Microsoft office. wink.gif

Hi guys!

Did i miss anything? Sorry i was afk for 4 days (was in the city to see blood spilling :hehe: )

Hi DKT good to hear from ya mate! :) I will try your suggestion just now. Hope it helps. :cheers:

Tuck

PS

Good to hear from u too heath28m! ;) how's everything going there mate? :cheers:

It's bloody messed up.

C:\sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 6% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

CBS.log

I give up.. :ablow:

C'mon Tucker, no giving up on this :)

Sfc /ScanNow seems to have failed simply due to some missing files.

• Administrator

I'm telling you. Get a full Windows 7. And install it. These mini versions ain't gonna do nything good.

It's bloody messed up.

C:\sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 6% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

CBS.log

I give up.. :ablow:

Holy s....!!!! thats a long LOG file. :lol:

Like DKT27 said. Install a full UNTOUCHED windows 7.

LOL

Nah.. I think i can live without it for now.

But thanks anyways.. and thank you all for your help! It is much appreciated. :)

I believe Untouched version requires at least 16gb, Tiny7 requires only 6gb. My drive C is only 9g the rest i allocated to D for movies and other stuff(except backup :doh:)

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats :D

Spotted your shout where you mentioned that you've got your 'search' function back. Do share the solution here - would be interesting . . . . . . from the learning point of view. :)

Sl@pSh0ck™

He did the best thing ... fresh reinstall of windows :P

LOL

Nah.. I think i can live without it for now.

But thanks anyways.. and thank you all for your help! It is much appreciated. :)

I believe Untouched version requires at least 16gb, Tiny7 requires only 6gb. My drive C is only 9g the rest i allocated to D for movies and other stuff(except backup :doh:)

I just saw this topic, wanted to add some info to the install size.

My Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit takes about 9.5GB of space in the Windows folder. Strange thing is, I remember installing Win7 Ultimate 32-bit and the file size was about the same!

My installation is 9.7 plus you have a lot of other system files in other places that relate to it.. I think total was between 13 and 16..

@ dcs18

Well, ehehe.. just like what nivrid05 said. :hehe: i just reinstalled my OS really. No biggie. But thanks for inquiring! ;)

Ahhh, guess re-installing is the only solution just as we always suspected. Was hoping to learn something new. :frusty:

Archived