[SOLVED] Windows Search Function Gone

Tucker

wsgone.png

My Windows Search is gone. I think i may have accidentally deleted the necessary .dll files after uninstalling Office 2010 via Total Uninstall.

UnChecking /ReChecking Windows Search from the WINDOWS FEATURES does no good either as it stays check all the time.

PS.

Um. Guys, Sorry but.. how do I edit the topic title? I pressed Post instead of Preview.

• Replies 44
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Control Panel ---->> All Control Panel Items ---->> Programs and Features ---->>Turn Windows features on or off

Scroll down ---->> Tick Windows Search ---->> (let it do it's thing) ---->> Reboot.

@dcs18

Thanks for the quick response mate. :)

But i've already done that mate and it did not work. :(

Sl@pSh0ck™

Edited the title for you ... will also be moving this to software chat ...

@dcs18

Thanks for the quick response mate. :)

But i've already done that mate and it did not work. :(

Tucker

IMO, You'll need to do a Repair Re-install. It does not delete your files or configurations. :(

@ nivrid05,

good moderating. :)

In the future you can edit the title by using the 'Full Editor' button which will give you the field to change. :thumbsup:

I m not for sure, your on Vista Windows 7..I think, but you should be able to reshow Search on the Start Menu by going to Properties and editing the settings there..if the function itself does not work.. make sure it is not disabled in your Services. ( WSearch )If it is not running you will have to set it to 'Auto' start, at which point it should start up automatically when you reboot.. and you can start the service there. It may be dependent on DCOM, which should cause other problems if it has stopped working properly.. In Vista I think there is one more service that can be a part of it.. but I am not for sure right now.. and not sure how dependent it is on that service..

Thanks guys!

I am on Windows 7. Using Tiny7 Rev01 to be exact, which i think would hinder me from doing a correct System Repair/Restore from the start.

I am hoping to find a fix such as to manually copy the dll files back or like what heath28m suggested turn on services that might have been switched off after i removing Office 2010 beta via TU.

Anyways, i'm gonna try and look into that just now. Cheers

I'm afraid there is no Repair mode on this one, mate. I could do a Re-Install though, which i am trying to avoid.

Oh well. Guess i'll just have to forget about this feature for now. :(

I can guide you to the Repair Re-install after a couple of hours if that's OK with you (I'm on SKype with someone right now.) ;)

Thanks, WaKa WaKa!

I have just tried all 3 methods and still no change. :(

Let me log off just now.

PS. It seems like F3 "Explorer Search" doesn't work now either.

@ WaKa WaKa

nice try :)

@ Tucker

I've been in your situation, and had to 'Repair Re-install.' :frusty: Let's wait, though - someone else (like WaKa WaKa) could come up with a better option.

I've just come back from a log off mates. Sorry it took me long. But it did not work. Anyways, I appreciate all the effort guys..

Yes, that is true mate! It really is better than the native windows search function.

I've been using the Everything app right from the start since it came out with T7 release.

I'll be checking this Launchy app just now. Just in case it comes handy later on.

But what i also really miss(aside from F3 Search command) is the Windows Search Function inside Explorer which allows instant search within a folder.

explorernows.png

You have done something to your registry ... and/or ExplorerFrame.dll that is the only thing I know of that can pull that off..

Look at your LSP or GP.. check these..

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Start Menu & Taskbar

Alternatively you can look through any entries that pertain to Windows Search in LSP/GP.

.. and have a look here... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732491%28WS.10%29.aspx

...and here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157

Look in the services. Maybe its disabled.

ServicesWindowsSearch.png

StartupType.png

Also, look in the registry.

You need to have this registry....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FindExtensions\Static\ShellSearch {169A0691-8DF9-11d1-A1C4-00C04FD75D13}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WSearch (look the image below)

capturavm.th.jpg

Always make a backup of the registry before editing.

Yeah I had actually thought about Optimizers and Tweakers that could have taken this function away.. Also was wondering about the Rev01 Tiny7 version he was using.. Wondered if possibly they removed it to streamline and slim it down by chance.. BUT if it was there and working I don't know...

nowsservice.png

Funny. I don't seem to have that Service mate.

I do have this Registry key below

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FindExtensions\Static\ShellSearch {169A0691-8DF9-11d1-A1C4-00C04FD75D13}

But not the WSearch

sisgone.png

i somehow don't have or lost SearchIndexer.exe.

-------------------------

In some other problem I'm facing...

sterror.png

i've just notice my Snipping tool isn't working anymore. I can't say if it is related to this or not. But it seems like everything went south after i removed Office 2010 via Total Uninstall.

Thanks again for all the effort guys! I really appreciate it. :cheers: :)

Maybe Total uninstall erase to MUCH registry keys and broke your windows. :frusty:

You need to use de win7 DVD and repair windows or reinstall. :fear:

capturai.th.jpg

I can give you mi files and registry key to fix the search function... but i think your registry is really broken :(

PS: 3 AM and im watching anime :lol: (i need a life)

As far as i know the OS itself is still intact. (I hope :fear: )

LOL - I think i'll just forget about it for now..

You seriously need a life over there mate!! jk. which one? I've just started watching Bleach a couple of months ago myself. ;) And I'm loving it!!

I could try and apply your files & reg patches but i'm pretty sure SearchIndex.exe did not come alone. I guess i'll just have to lay this down a rest. (unless someone else's come up with a better solution.)

Archived