Uninstall Windows Defender From Windows 7 & Vista

*dcs18

XP Users have always had the option to uninstall Windows Defender which shows up under the 'add remove' list of installations. However, Microsoft hard-coded Windows Defender deep into Vista & Windows Se7en, leaving Users with little hopes of uninstalling it. There are many tutorials floating out there on the net on how to disable Windows Defender, but no mention on how to uninstall it.

4lrhwz.jpg

This guide leads Vista & Windows Se7en Users through the steps to disable and additionally uninstall Windows Defender:-

01.) Log in through an Administrative User Account, go to the Control Panel and run Windows Defender (the quirky thing here is your definition signatures got to be updated for you to be able to proceed further.)

02.) Click 'Tools' and then 'Options' Scroll lower down and uncheck the 'Use Windows Defender' box.

03.) Run the Services.Msc prompt, (Start ---> click Run ---> type Services.Msc) scroll down to double click the Windows Defender entry. Next stop the service and then set the Windows Defender drop-down startup type to disabled.

04.) Run the MsConfig prompt, (Start ---> click Run ---> type MsConfig) Go to the Startup tab and uncheck the 'Windows Defender' box.

05.) Reboot and take a well deserved pee :rockon:

Caution:-

You've disabled your Windows Defender successfully. It's not essential to uninstall it, unless you're a demented Perfectionist like me. The following procedure will uninstall Windows Defender.

06.) Run a privileged Command prompt, by navigating to the 'C:\Windows\System32' directory and right clicking 'cmd.exe' to 'run as administrator'. Next type 'Sc Delete WinDefend' to delete the disabled service. You should receive the '[sC] DeleteService SUCCESS' notification.

07.) Reboot once again just for insurance :coolwink:

08.) Navigate to C:\Program Files and right-click on the 'Windows Defender' folder to gain ownership. There are 2 ways to gain ownership - you may use either tonyblair's tutorial or the Box Win 7 Quicky to delete the 'Windows Defender' folder.

09.) Right click the following registry key highlighted in red, take ownership and Full Control to delete and purge the Windows Defender leftover shortcuts from the 'Control Panel' and 'Start Menu':-

You're about to delete a registry entry. Please backup the key before deleting it. It's going to be your sole responsibility if you screw up.

Good-luck. :thumbsup:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{D8559EB9-20C0-410E-BEDA-7ED416AECC2A}

10.) A search of the registry will show up many more instances of Windows Defender leftovers. These entries can be deleted if you take ownership and Full Control before trying to delete them.

Special thanks to the gutsy RobrPatty and implague for testing this tutorial on (x64bits)

ps:-

Reference to the UAC has been consciously avoided lest it make this tutorial long-ass-winded and boring. :fear:

Reminder:-

This tutorial is meant solely for those who'd like to disable and maybe uninstall Windows Defender, so let's not spam this thread with the merits and demerits of Windows Defender. :lol:

• Replies 45
  • Views 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Thanx. Really helpful. Will totally uninstall it when I install Win7. :P

i've been googled for a while ti uninstall this win defender and the conclusion is u cant uninstall this only way is to disable the win defender neways nice info :unsure:

• Administrator

Actually, even I thought that it was impossible to remove WD from Windows 7.:unsure:

i've been googled for a while ti uninstall this win defender and the conclusion is u cant uninstall this only way is to disable the win defender neways nice info :unsure:

Actually, even I thought that it was impossible to remove WD from Windows 7.:unsure:

Guyz, check the tutorial (I've added a screenshot with Windows Defender uninstalled.) Hope the chastity test satisfies both of you. :D

hey just a matter of delete the WD in programme files after changing the owbership still im not able to delete the folder win defender and also i need to cmd with admin rites need help not able to delete the folder in prog files after changin the ownership and given full rites to the sistem and user also :frusty:

06.) Run a privileged Command prompt, by navigating to the 'C:\Windows\System32' directory and right clicking 'cmd.exe' to 'run as administrator'. Next type 'Sc Delete WinDefend' to delete the disabled service. You should receive the '[sC] DeleteService SUCCESS' notification.

Guess you're referring to step # 07.)

Did you follow the previous step # 06.) (quoted above) before attempting to delete the Window Defender folder from your 'Program files?' If you did, was it displayed as successful in your open 'Command Prompt' dialog box?

You need to use Box_Win7Quicky1.9 to gain ownership rights over the Windows Defender folder.

yes i followed every step up to that xtend and my cdm gives me the msg to succesful deletion still not able to delete the folder from programme files :ph34r:

hey just a matter of delete the WD in programme files after changing the owbership still im not able to delete the folder win defender and also i need to cmd with admin rites need help not able to delete the folder in prog files after changin the ownership and given full rites to the sistem and user also :frusty:

Firstly, it looks as if you tried to take ownership by using the conventional way instead of using Box_Win7Quicky1.9 :yes:

Secondly, have you rebooted and then tried to delete the folder thereafter?

Have so far uninstalled Windows Defender successfully from 3 different machines by using the procedure in the above tutorial. :coolwink:

now ia m able to delete the win defender folder but still not able to delete the reg value which u shown in the post and control pannel short cut to do reply BTW usin win 7 x64

:thumbsup: Good you're almost there. You need to just take ownership and Full Control in step # 09.) to delete the following registry key:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{D8559EB9-20C0-410E-BEDA-7ED416AECC2A}

How To Take Ownership Over A Registry Key:-

http://www.microsoft...n.mspx?mfr=true

How To Take Full Control Over A Registry Key:-

http://www.microsoft...n.mspx?mfr=true

Worked! Followed your tutorial to the letter and worked perfect. Only difference is I had to remove windows defender folder in both program files(86) & program files. Other than that same process. Thanks much for this tutorial, dcs18.

My OS is in the sig

Well, I like to just leave it disable.....maybe who knows, there might come a time when Windows Defender....become the BEST! :frusty:(much doubt though).

Well, I like to just leave it disable

:yes: Good idea, to disable Windows Defender it's only till the end of step # 05.) (I'm sure you would've disabled it long ago.) I'd done it while beta testing Windows Se7en. Tried uninstallation just a couple of months back.

.....maybe who knows, there might come a time when Windows Defender....become the BEST! :frusty:(much doubt though).

:lmao: I love your humour

On a serious note that sets me thinking about the possibility of a reversal. :think:

On a serious note that sets me thinking about the possibility of a reversal. :think:

:lol:

But seriosly now ... Why do you need to uninstall it in first place ?

Are you saing that Defender is somehow still working in background even if it's disabled ?

Well, when I commit murder I like the stinking corpse to be buried :lol:

hehe , nice one :hehe:

You've disabled your Windows Defender successfully. It's not essential to uninstall it, unless you're a demented Perfectionist like me.

OK, but I think I read somewhere that your system is running faster with Defender uninstalled , that's why I asked ....

Not that I don't beleive you, but if that's the case I would like to know why and how, so I can kill the damn thing myself :)

i am able to delete everything now following ur steps gr8 tut. to remove win defender

@dcs 00020165.gif

:rockon: w00ts :dance2:

. . . . . always knew you were going to make it (had already added your name to the credits on the first post.)

Archived