Windows Installation: Black Screen

elohelomg

• Administrator

Eventually why Vista but? :unsure:

@heath28m: Softwares like Ashampoo HDD control tell you lot about your hard drive's condition. What do you say on it?

• Replies 33
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ elohelomg

You should have tested the first disc you burned using VirtualBox to see if it installs fine. It would have so now you know that the disc is good.

Then if it doesn't install on the real HDD then you know that the HDD is not working. ;)

I had used the disk on another computer, tried it in vmware, and worked fine.

As to why vista, well, other people might hop on my computer and they only started to get use to vista. I dont wanna drop a win7 on them.

EDIT: As far as Vista is concerned and your concerns about other people.. I would say two things.. One, your allowing others to hold you back from progressing forward.. Its yours, do what you want to with it.. Two, there is no point in learning Vista.. when you install 7, you have two versions of an OS, vastly different in performance.. but 7 is better to use.. better designed for the end-user..Vista is more of a stepping stone..it can be skipped... IMO, I feel that overall you should do it. Rather they like change or not.. I upgraded a 70 year old's system from Vista (which they had just started to get used to.. which I modded heavily to personal needs.. for three people.. ) and upgraded to Windows 7.. and they love it... You should look at change more positively.. It is not always a bad things, and sometimes is for the BEST..

Eventually why Vista but? :unsure:

@heath28m: Softwares like Ashampoo HDD control tell you lot about your hard drive's condition. What do you say on it?

As far as running OS is concerned I rely ( on XP ) on my Samurize gadget ( the circle you have seen me screenshot around ), I use a portion of the controls to report about the health of my HD from a few monitoring DLL's one of which I believe is called HDD Smart.dll.. least intrusive and you can pick something visually appealing, plus you pick what you want o watch.. which makes a little knowledge about what it all means.. ( which is best to consult documentation or read the descriptions.. ) I actually own Drive LED, and quite a few others that aide in monitoring drive health. As far as real time is concerned though.. I don't know. For the most part my feelings on that is that they really take to much resources, interfere with proper use of your system.. and can cause more read/write cycles to your drive which are un-necessary. ( which can cause a degradation of your HD overtime. )

Now Boot Time I use a Disc called 'Vortex Admin ERD Commander', which come with quite a few tools.. one of which is a basic hard drive scanner which I don't remember the name too right now.. BUT it scans the drive and tells you how many bad areas you have on your drive and can attempt to fix them... I also have Abstradome HDD Regenerator.. which requires it to be installed so I am not for sure with it but have heard nothing but good about it.. I also use DBAN, Spotmau Power Suite ( 2009/2010 ), Active @Kill Disk - Boot Disc, and BartPE. Most of which allow you tools to do everything from Erase your HD, format and recover the hardware itself.. ( I still haven't gotten around to UBCD.. )

I have run across a quite a few tools for HD, the main thing really in my opinion is to find something that does the job, and works on your HD without causing an issue.( as per your objective ) There are a few important issues to be concerned with and one being to reduce wear. So your habits, and even some cool add-ons and even gadgets run from the Sidebar need to be considered when it comes to using something t monitor the health. If you have a healthy drive,it is more than likely that a software used to monitor it, would not have to run all the time.. unless you have a system under extreme load and heavy access.. Besides that with Vista and 7.. you have a built in warning system.. ( unless you turn it off ) which can give you warning FAR in advance of loosing data..

The program you mention above looks comprehensive.. but I would have to use it and see.. all of the things it does I have other program for .. which cover more than just that..but looks good... The main things is knowing you usage of the system and knowing when it really needs it..and how it applies to you..

Programs that reduce the swap to disk.. ( especially with high traffic ) and allow you to cache large amounts of data in the RAM, which reduce read/write cycles to your drive for your programs is a good idea.. I like startup programs and programs that run at all times, that DO NOT need to constantly access your drive.. Take FF for example.. it may have some high memory numbers, BUT it is because many things are in RAM.. This means it wears on your HD less.. and can be faster in some areas ( providing you don't have system bottlenecks... ) Some of the 'Free RAM' programs out there I just see no use for .... and actually cause more of a problem for other hardware which can have greater value to you..

• Administrator

Thanx for the info. :)

Tell me your views on ashampoo after you try it. ;)

Definitely.. from first look at the site.. doesn't look like any new tricks up their sleeve.. but great for a beginner.. will look into it though..

• Administrator

If you want, it's medicine is posted here somewhere. ;)

Archived