Windows Installation: Black Screen

elohelomg

So i decided to reinstall the operating system on the computer (due to a disk read error), and put in the windows vista cd. It loaded up the files just fine, but once it finished up, it stopped. Loaded a black screen with a mouse in the middle.

Thought maybe the CD was the problem. So i created another one, and still the same story.

I got my hands on a win7 cd, same ordeal.

Someone PLEASE shed some light. I dont know wtf is going on. lol

• Replies 33
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Topic title edited.

How long did you leave it for? Sometimes it can take a while.

Is this a laptop or desktop? How old(or new) is it?

• Administrator

Some hardware error that's making OS take some real time to detect it?

@elohelomg:

Can you post your computer specs?

hhmm that person not responding since 8 hrs.might hav involved in repairing his system :blink:

• Administrator

Not all are free, they have their own work. Some don't get time to reply for days. Nothing to worry about it. ;)

@D

same i am telling that he is busy in repairing his system

Sorry Guys,

It was really late when i posted this. I ended up sleeping around 5 am, and waking up at 8. This cant be healthy.

Specs

Aside from that, there isn't much i really know. I have left the computer running for about 20 mins after the loading file screen ends, and only the mouse is up

So i decided to reinstall the operating system on the computer (due to a disk read error)...

Okay this would not be a good thing I don't care what Disk your using.. The first thing I would look at is th BIOS to make sure that your hardware is showing up .. and I would check physically to see if your HD is spinning up when you start the system.. Otherwise your HD may have 'died'.. or may have just simply come unplugged. If you have made any changes to your configuration in the BIOS or otherwise lately try to undo them..

You started out with a disk read/write error.. which can be a very bad sign.. This can mean that your HD has stopped working.. r that you may have bad sectors on the disk and that it has become corrupted.. and will remain a failing drive.. I would be willing to bet this is your issue..

Next, while your in your case.. I would check and make sure that all hardware is connected as it should be.. and do a PSU reset, if you have it available.. then try the boot again. If this is an older system.. make sure that you have the option to boot from the DVD which Vista in installed on... older systems do not have the ability to boot from a secondary DVD drive.. You only have the option of booting from the CD drive.. which means when you install.. you must install XP, then while in XP install from DVD.. only then when the computer restarts will it take back off from where it should.. If you do have this option make sure that the DVD drive is selected..

So i decided to reinstall the operating system on the computer (due to a disk read error)...

Okay this would not be a good thing I don't care what Disk your using.. The first thing I would look at is th BIOS to make sure that your hardware is showing up .. and I would check physically to see if your HD is spinning up when you start the system.. Otherwise your HD may have 'died'.. or may have just simply come unplugged. If you have made any changes to your configuration in the BIOS or otherwise lately try to undo them..

You started out with a disk read/write error.. which can be a very bad sign.. This can mean that your HD has stopped working.. r that you may have bad sectors on the disk and that it has become corrupted.. and will remain a failing drive.. I would be willing to bet this is your issue..

Next, while your in your case.. I would check and make sure that all hardware is connected as it should be.. and do a PSU reset, if you have it available.. then try the boot again. If this is an older system.. make sure that you have the option to boot from the DVD which Vista in installed on... older systems do not have the ability to boot from a secondary DVD drive.. You only have the option of booting from the CD drive.. which means when you install.. you must install XP, then while in XP install from DVD.. only then when the computer restarts will it take back off from where it should.. If you do have this option make sure that the DVD drive is selected..

I have done the PSU reset, tried switching out the rams, taking out one of the ram slots, nothing. When you let the computer boot normally, it gives a 0x0e9 bsod.

I'm going to run a memtest on the ram, which could be a possibility. If this doesn't work, i think i can safely assume its the hard drive.

What i dont understand, is how its able to read some CD's and not others.

Some CD's such as installer actually extract .CAB files and things of the sort, directly to a TEMP directory on the HD.. therefore if the HD is 'dead'.. without this stability it would have to load all of this data into ram to extract.. or it would bloat the size of the data tremendously... So this COULD be it... BartPE CD's would probably work.. A Windows Installation CD/DVD probably would not... Not for sure what driver or code your BSOD is giving you and why just yet.. You could also run a disk diagnostic as well..

EDIT: You could also be burning the disk incorrectly.. instead of bootable from ISO.. but usually you can click and burn and be fine.. so I don't know..

• Administrator

Well a boot CD will help you a lot here.

Is this the BSOD error you are getting = STOP: 0x0000009F ?

If not then please give the exact error.

Some CD's such as installer actually extract .CAB files and things of the sort, directly to a TEMP directory on the HD.. therefore if the HD is 'dead'.. without this stability it would have to load all of this data into ram to extract.. or it would bloat the size of the data tremendously... So this COULD be it... BartPE CD's would probably work.. A Windows Installation CD/DVD probably would not... Not for sure what driver or code your BSOD is giving you and why just yet.. You could also run a disk diagnostic as well..

Hm. UBCD seems to boot up just fine, my erd command for xp works fine too, but anything above the 2009 version built for vista wont work. Leaning towards the hard drive....

• Administrator

Now we have a solution, burn your Windows 7 ISO to the DVD at 2x or 4x. ;)

Source.

Now we have a solution, burn your Windows 7 ISO to the DVD at 2x or 4x. ;)

Source.

I've used magic iso at the lowest settings....but what the heck, ill try it again. maybe use nero

I prefer PowerISO. But yea Nero is the best. ;)

Eh, i'v gone through about 25 CD's already. haha might as well give that a shot as well

After burning the cd at 2k, its still the same result. Opens up the loading files, goes to the loading screen, and goes black.

Did you check your BIOS settings and information to see if all of your hardware is being detected properly? ( I honestly think you should stop messing with burning the DVD's... besides that when you use an ISO file and open it with Nero.. it automatically burns it correctly as a bootable disc.. )

If your hardware is not being properly detected then you aren't even sending receiving from to it.. Did Vista give you any warnings before this happened? Possibly a failing drive indicator/message and then it just crashed by chance... at which point it would not boot? If so I would say your drive is fried.. How old is the drive? 8-10 years old? Then its about that time.. usually with something like this.. Just a few things there..

Yes. Everything in the bios was setup properly, but while talking about the whole "some cd's use the hard drive to store temp files", i came to the conclusion it was the hard drive.

I switched it out, installed vista, and all seems well.

Stupid computer parts, why do they have to cause so much trouble.

How old was the computer? The reason I am asking is because depending on how you use your computer, you can do things to help the read/writes cycles to the drive to prolong its life.. including Torrent traffic.. and even running servers from the system. Even default operations some times can cause more than you would like, moving files from drive to drive.. Something to consider this time around.. You can search for some guided information on the Internet that can help you make a better decision according to how you use your computer.. and even how you back up your system..

Archived