Revamped Nsane Front Page

funkyy

Well, I almost had a brain aneurysm when I clicked on my bookmark the other day and found a link

redirecting me to the new Front page of my favourite site. My first impression when I was met with the

new design was paralysis (lol), and thoughts of what's this? What have they done? But remembering

that that is a natural reaction when change comes and shakes us out of our comfort zone I didn't

immediately start hammering out death threats to Matt and Co. No, I tried out the new layout and

my verdict is.....great, very nice and in a little while it'll be the comfortable norm that the old Front page

was. So well done Matt and Co...looking good!!!:dance::dance::dance:

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, aum said:

Alas, the new makeup costs a lot of CPU cycles; wish the CPU costs could be more affordable to poor PCs. 

First of all pick your words wisely before you type anything down because this is doesn't call a new makeup, so be more respectful. For the CPU usage issue I am working on fixing it.  

I hope @Mattdoesn't think that I don't appreciate the new design when he reads this post, just that it needs a few tweaks.

For me I can't use the new front-page.  Perhaps we had it good for too long, with all the information neatly presented on one page with no wasted space.  Now I find myself needlessly scrolling to the bottom of the page to find the News Bar, whereas before it was on the left alongside software updates.

I wish to emphasise once more that I do appreciate the work and that with only a few tweaks the new design will become even better.

Thanks to @Mattand the other developers who make Nsane what we know and love.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:37 AM, aum said:

Alas, the new makeup costs a lot of CPU cycles; wish the CPU costs could be more affordable to poor PCs. 

Well spotted, I mean the CPU cycles (not the "makeup.") :shutup:

Marcus Thunder

Very smart way to recreate the front page, even the News Bar is there. I hope if an additional table can be added for application categories as Internet Applications, Burning Tools, File Managers, Security...etc

Uggggh  I hope this grows on me.  I'm missing the frontend already 😔

I hate change but there's probably a good reason for it.

On 1/1/2021 at 12:53 AM, ajdibi said:

For me I can't use the new front-page.  Perhaps we had it good for too long, with all the information neatly presented on one page with no wasted space.  Now I find myself needlessly scrolling to the bottom of the page to find the News Bar, whereas before it was on the left alongside software updates.

In other words, you want the new forum-based frontpage page to be more compact like the old separate nsanedown.com page we had.
Indeed the new forum-based frontpage page take up a lot space and the font seems too large and will require you scrolling up or down more than you were used to in the old previous frontpage.
I will not be defending or criticizing @Mattworks but I will tell some facts of what I have in mind as a software developer and a user of this forum.

Here are some points I want to make:

1. The old previous frontpage is done using a different script than our old and new (latest version IPB) forum have been.
IDK if Lee been the one who originally made the old previous frontpage script when it was still nSaneProductions but doing changes to that old frontpage was not an easy walk in the park. Intermediate programmer who have known at least three programming or scripting languages can relate to what I'm saying here.

2. Our forum is based on IPB since it became nSaneforun as far as I can remember and now @Matt upgraded to the latest version which has lots of stuff /features in it that if you want to add a custom feature it will not be an easy feat even for advanced or expert level ones.

3. I haven't perused all the latest IPB feature but as far I'm concerned IPB most likely does not have frontpage template similar to our old frontpage. Matt tried to find a way to give our "wants", although not using the proper tools as he is forcing to use a forum software to gives us an alternative frontpage page even though it wasn't practical and becomes probably harder to do than just build one.

4. Our new frontpage is sharing the same IPB software as of our forum that probably also share the same global forum configuration (font, spacing, theme, colors). This might be the reason why although it might feel "modern and smooth" it is not visually compact in its interface to serve as an almost near replacement of the old frontpage.

5. Considering points 3 and 4 and the fact that this is a first try to deliver a forum-based frontpage page surely you could just be forgiving things will not be immediately perfect. Also, consider the limited resources and manpower (@matt is the only one working on it) then the least we could do is be cheerful he even tried to  gave us one although at the cost of high cpu cycle. We'll just hope matt will soon find a way to resolve this issue.

6. As I pointed out, i haven't read all latest IPB features and haven't tried to dissect the forum software, so my opinions might be wrong. But if my guesses are right and if if the forum software permits to have a different configuration on one page, override global configuration by assigning a page-specific configuration for such page then a compact interface might be possible too. What's more left is to make frames sections , borders, and tables almost seem fixed (not totally fixed in constant values  but within range of display width).

7. Matt's POV is of the programmer and most of us are of the POV of a user. They are not the same. Matt could say "I already tried to give you something beyond the scope of this (IPB software) tool can possibly do. Spend days and nights trying to move mountains just to give your 'wants"'".

On a mixed combo of user's POV could be "although smooth and looks modern it is at the cost of high cpu cycles"  .

My take is either we have nothing or we have this since it only affects (high cpu cycles) the forum's new frontpage page that my soon be improved. Anyway, all software and websites will pass a stage of alpha and beta stage even our much love windows 10 is still in beta stage until now. lol After your done checking the forum's new frontpage page then close it so this issue won't bother you too much or totally avoid it in the mean time until matt find a way around this issue.

8. Consider installing addons or extensons that  prevents loading of pages until you physically view it and also installing unloading webpages  addons or extensons for such x time pass so your browser won't use cpu and memory too much too and somehow lessen the impact of this temporary "high cpu cycle"

I hope this helps both sides. Let us just take things easy. It's new year. Cheers!

• Administrator
19 hours ago, nIGHT said:

My take is either we have nothing or we have this since it only affects (high cpu cycles) the forum's new frontpage page that my soon be improved.

The high CPU usage is because of the animations that only shows in the font of the forums, and I have been working on removing most of them. Moreover, it is because of unread contents/topics. so if you mark site read all animations on the forums will be gone and CPU usage will be down.  

• Administrator
On 12/31/2020 at 10:53 AM, ajdibi said:

I hope @Mattdoesn't think that I don't appreciate the new design when he reads this post, just that it needs a few tweaks.

I wish to emphasise once more that I do appreciate the work and that with only a few tweaks the new design will become even better.

Thanks to @Mattand the other developers who make Nsane what we know and love.

I can create a complete different page for example called nsane.news where it shows all news if you would like that. :) 

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I can create a complete different page for example called nsane.news where it shows all news if you would like that. :) 

Thanks for replying @Matt

I would like something similar to the old nsanedown.com page where everything was in front of you without having to move a full page.  Of course, having read what @nIGHTposted, I now realise this is probably not going to be an easy task for anybody.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ajdibi said:

I now realise this is probably not going to be an easy task for anybody.

Don't you worry it's a very easy task for me. I will create a new page called nsane.news where it shows only news, yet give me some time because I need to finish the main work.

On 1/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, Matt said:

Don't you worry it's a very easy task for me. I will create a new page called nsane.news where it shows only news, yet give me some time because I need to finish the main work.

Looks as though you have tweaked https://nsaneforums.com/nsane.down/ and I think it already looks 100% better without the bloat.  Amazing work so far and if this is only the beginning of your work, then Nsanedown has an amazing future ahead.

Archived