6 Reasons You Really Don’t Need To Buy A PlayStation 5 Or Xbox Series X At Launch

steven36

If you haven’t managed to pre-order a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X yet, don’t sweat it. Don’t fret. Don’t worry, be happy.

T4v8Eu0.jpg

Okay, maybe not happy. For early adopters of shiny new gadgets, not being able to track one down by launch can be disheartening and frustrating. That might be even more pronounced thanks to everything else going on in the world—a tense, divisive election here in the States; the COVID-19 pandemic and resurgent lockdowns; probably an alien invasion or something worse in the near future.

I get it. I’m not here to brush off your sadness. I’m here to cheer you up. There are very good reasons to wait when it comes to the newest toy. They may not assuage all your troubles, but they could blunt the pain.

Let’s begin, shall we?

#1 — The launch lineup is pretty thin.

This isn’t to say there aren’t many games available on PS5 or Xbox Series X at launch, just that quite a few of these games will also be available on PS4, Xbox One and PC as well.

In other words, even though the best version might only be available on PS5 or Xbox Series X, often you’ll be able to find the current-gen version and play that instead. Indeed, some of these games are just ports of current-gen games anyways.

Meanwhile, if you do get a current-gen version of a game and later purchase a next-gen system, there are often free (or very cheap) upgrades available. For instance, if you get Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War on PS4 or Xbox One, you can upgrade to next-gen for $10, which is just the price of the next-gen version ($69.99) to begin with.

#2 — Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed. Again.

One of, if not the, most anticipated games of the year is CDPR’s Cyberpunk 2077. Heading into holiday season, the game was set to release during the same week as PS5 and Xbox Series X.

But CD Projekt RED wanted to polish (heh) the game just a bit more before release, so they pushed it back 3 weeks. Bad news, perhaps, for anyone hoping to play next week and certainly for anyone lucky enough to snag a PS5 or Xbox Series X.

Good news, on the other hand, since you now have 21 extra days to get hold of a next-gen system. These will be released in waves, after all. It’s entirely possible that a second wave will hit before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out.

#3 — Pre-orders are being delayed also.

The fact is, just because you snagged a pre-order for the PS5 or Xbox Series X doesn’t mean you’ll even get it at launch. Many orders are being delayed for an indeterminant amount of time by various retailers. So if you didn’t get one, you can comfort yourself in the knowledge that even getting one didn’t actually mean getting one. If that makes any sense.

The point is, this is the kind of product you just have no control over. Even success can end up bittersweet. Waiting until the dust settles isn’t such a bad idea, especially if you can get into the right mindset where the whole process isn’t stressing you out. Don’t worry, be happy.

#4 — These are likely just a rough draft.

So this is more for those gamers out there who might be a little bit on the fence. Should you even get a next-gen system at all, let alone on day one?

Well, if last-gen taught us anything it’s that waiting has its perks. Not only will consoles get cheaper over time, both Sony and Microsoft released “mid-cycle” updates to their original PS4 and Xbox One consoles.

This mid-cycle update was pretty huge, too. Sony released a PS4 Slim which was smaller and more attractive to replace the original PS4, and released a PS4 Pro which was quite a bit more powerful. Microsoft released the Xbox One S to replace the OG Xbox One, and it was a far more attractive console inside and out, and they released the very powerful Xbox One X.

Waiting for a mid-cycle update isn’t a terrible idea for anyone content with their current systems. Besides, by the time that happens the industry will have largely moved to the new platforms and most of the new games coming out will be next-gen only.

#5 — Waiting could get you a better deal, at least for an Xbox.

Okay, take “better deal” with a grain of salt. This won’t actually save you money on an Xbox Series X (or S) but it will save you money, and it spreads out the cost.

I’m referring to the Xbox All Access program. You can essentially finance your purchase of either console—$35/month for Series X, $25/month for Series S—and pay it off over the course of two years with no finance charges.

Better yet, this price includes Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which gets you both Game Pass and Xbox Live With Gold. That gets you access to a bunch of games, online play and xCloud game streaming (which let’s you play Xbox games on Android devices) all included in the monthly fee. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate also includes PC—and is $15/month all by itself.

Right now, I don’t think there are any more All Access pre-orders available. I’ve checked Microsoft’s site and retailers and they’re all sold out and “Coming Soon” though this could obviously change at any time after publication.

The point is, if you wait a little bit you might be able to get a next-gen Xbox via All Access. It won’t save you much money but it will spread out the big investment across two years.

#6 — Don’t forget about the Nintendo Switch.

Sure, it’s not as powerful or as new as Sony and Microsoft’s upcoming gaming systems, but Nintendo’s latest console is still great. And it’s currently (sort of) in stock. I say sort of because that seems to be changing daily. There was a long drought when it was virtually impossible to find one, but that’s largely over. Now the Nintendo Switch can be found at most retailers, though it does occasionally sell out.

And it has so many great games! The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Super Mario Odyssey, Animal Crossing: New Horizons...the list goes on and on. It’s a good alternative if you need something new to play on.

-

They say patience is a virtue. Mostly, I agree. When it comes to getting the newest, shiniest tech toys, patience is definitely a virtue. Virtue isn’t always fun—I get it—but it can save you money and save you stress sometimes. That’s not so bad.

There are plenty of good reasons to buy a next-gen console—Demon’s Souls remake on PS5 being about ten of them—but if you can’t find one, don’t worry. They’ll be available soon enough.

And whatever you do, don’t pay scalpers one red cent more than MSRP. They’re a big part of the reason pre-orders were so hard to come by in the first place.

Source

• Views 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived