Microsoft finally brings its Chromium-based Edge in preview form to Linux

Karlston

1589915324_microsoft_edge_for_linux_2_st

Microsoft today announced that Edge is finally available for download on Linux. The Dev channel version of the Chromium-based browser makes it to the platform almost a year after the official announcement and as promised last month.

The Redmond giant says that the release supports Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and openSUSE distributions. The browser will be updated weekly, just like the Dev channel builds on other platforms. The company has also posted instructions for the process of installing the packages on various distributions using their standard package management tools, for those interested. However, the easier way is to download and install the .deb or .rpm packages from the Insider website here.

As for features, the company is “aiming to provide a representative experience for developers who want to build and test their sites and apps on Linux”. The preview release for Linux currently does not feature many user-facing features such as support for signing into Microsoft accounts – which means that there will be no sync capabilities. However, the company does promise to release these features with a future update.

Considering that the release is still in early development, the firm cautions that there will be many “bugs and unexpected behaviors“ and urges developers to send feedback through the browser. Lastly, the company is also accepting submissions for the Microsoft Edge Bounty Program on Linux for security researchers.

With the addition of support for Linux, the Redmond firms offering is now present on all platforms that support Chromium.

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Views 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People On Linux are saying it the fastest  browser on Linux already  for watching YouTube and its still just Dev no sync just you can install extensions.  But this info from someone  who never tired brave , edge://surf is now available. This is a huge step forward in Linux gaming.  That from Ubuntu fanboy site

O0w32km.png

:lmao:

Linux fanboys on reddit.com sing a different song  about M$ :rofl:

miy1KTw.png

4GVzF1k.png

About it being used  for web development it dont see  to be any more useful  than using  stock chromium

jBJXOYV.png

It's fast, it works very well, better than i expected.

I will not be using it for now, just because the sync isn't working, but i'll come back to it when it is.

Love this browser on Windows, and i'll welcome it on Linux. Now.... bring Office to Linux and i'll forgive you for all the BS i've put up over the years.

26 minutes ago, pintas said:

It's fast, it works very well, better than i expected.

I will not be using it for now, just because the sync isn't working, but i'll come back to it when it is.

Love this browser on Windows, and i'll welcome it on Linux. Now.... bring Office to Linux and i'll forgive you for all the BS i've put up over the years.

whats the point  it dont work for 4k   and it  is chromium so its no benefit to web developers  only it would be if they still  had  there old browser engine  . All chromium is the same .EG:  the Google wide web .   I already have  ungoogled   chromium  i bet its no faster  than it ,also i have brave ,  waterfox and Firefox  and mostly  i just use Firefox because  once you  open  a bunch of tabs  Firefox is faster  for me vs  Chromium I got 9 tabs open right now.. Chrome never reached the speed of Firefox for workflow with many open tabs. :tooth:

Archived