Windows 10 updates seem to be broken (again), baffling users with unhelpful errors

Karlston

Windows 10 updates seem to be broken (again), baffling users with unhelpful errors

2XHjgMiCo9azwwPozo6ZeY-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Shutterstock)

Windows 10 has hit more trouble with updates, and some users are reporting that they can’t successfully install the latest cumulative update for September 2020.

This is update KB4571756, and as Windows Latest reports, it’s apparently failing to install for some folks with an error message: “There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800f081f).”

There are various spins on this error message and code, and readers of Windows Latest, as well as folks on Microsoft’s Answers.com forum and Reddit have all described similar problems where Windows Update appears to be broken with the September update.

If this is causing some serious déjà vu, that’s because the same issue was encountered with the cumulative update released in August (and possibly July, too, for some users it would seem).

Sadly, none of the standard troubleshooting methods seem to be any help in terms of finding a solution to overcome this error.

As you may recall, the KB4571756 (or Build 19041.508) update resolves a nasty issue with SSDs, but has also been responsible for other problems, including breaking the Start menu and killing Linux support.

It’s not certain how widespread this current installation failure is, but to say that all is not well with the good ship Windows 10 at the moment would be an understatement (once again).

Workaround or wait?

One possible solution floated by Windows Latest to get around the error is a manual installation of the KB4571756 update, either grabbing it directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog or by using the Media Creation Tool. In the latter case, the advice is to run ‘Upgrade this PC now’ which should allow you to reinstall the offending update.

However, we’d be somewhat wary of trying to manually force the update onto your PC – unless there’s a very good reason to do so.

Further bear in mind that on the Answers.com thread highlighted above, Microsoft reps are apparently saying that the solution to this error is going to arrive with the next October round of patching (or possibly the October 2020 Update, which is now being readied for release). So you won’t have long to wait, and it may be worth just sitting it out (and possibly pausing updates) for the time being and seeing what happens next month.

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Views 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, truemate said:

FAILED OS in history of Microsoft.... even Vista was much stable than this win 10

nope, Vista has several more bugs like in Windows ME related with drivers and kernel stability and only become a bit stable in SP2 but still not better as 7.

14 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

nope, Vista has several more bugs like in Windows ME related with drivers and kernel stability and only become a bit stable in SP2 but still not better as 7.

Vista  Sp2  was better  than Windows 7  before  it got all  the  hot fixes in   Windows  7 SP1  it was a whole SP of bug fixes.  if you do the math  Vista  Sp2   came out  only little over 2  years  latter than Vista.  Windows ME  never got any  SP it was always  Windows ME 4.90.3000 but  Windows 10  has has 11  versions  GA   in 5 years  that was half  of Vista  , Windows 7  and Windows 8/8.1 life cycle  . Windows ME dont  count  because it never got any SP like the others  or Second Edition like Windows 98  i used it for a bit and switch to XP  after it came out I started out on Windows ME.

Windows ME would of been nice if  it had got 3 SP  like Windows XP did.  But they chose to never make it any better in favor  of XP. Because of the bad stigma it had . Same as they chose  Windows 7   over  Vista  because of bad  Stigma .And the same reason they chose Windows 10 over Windows 8 was bad stigma  . If  they would  done  like Apple  did in 2001  you would be using Windows XP  .But  they waited  tell  2015  to try and copy there release .MAC OSX 10 2001,  Windows 10  2015.  MAC OS  has like  one release  a year but they dont  push upgrades  on users like  Windows do now. You can keep using a old version if you want.   So that Mac Os 5 releases  to Windows 10  12 releases  .

Upgrades  have been over kill with no consumer  stability. The deal breaker for me was  when  upgrades would  mess up my  apps  that  i could not afford to buy  upgrades  for  ,On Windows  8.1  Ive not had that problem since 2014   it got no  updates  to change anything since Windows 8.1  Update 3.

Windows 10 has had 11 editions  and 1 on the DEV channel in 5 years and it still full of bugs. Windows 10  want  ever be stable  like  past versions was because they want stop adding new features  and just do some updates to make it stable  . unless  you use a LTS  version  which is illegal for consumers  to have so you  have 0 support.  I stop using windows 10 3 years ago and i still have  Windows 8.1  but i dont use it ether .  Ubuntu Linux is what use most of the time. I installed the install  im on now in  April 2018  and never no trouble  . This is the longest  i ever went without reinstalling a OS  in the  20  years i used PCs on a daily driver.  

Were  i use to test software  when i used Windows xp  I use to redo windows about every 30 days .  When i used Windows  7  was the longest  i went on Windows  on a daily driver without reinstalling.  On my old Vista SP2  PC  it still has Windows 7  on it,  i never used much  it  has the same Windows 7 install i put on it when Windows 7 was new lol  but I never used it all the time.

I want touch a OS unless it gets at lest 5 years support  im older now so i like  using  my OS  more than installing  it  and fixing it with workarounds. SOS  it was on Windows 10 3 years  ago i was doing manual  updates most of the time because auto updates was crap to install. On Linux  i can do auto updates everyday  and  they install  fine. But i dont  now i wait and do them like once a week.

14 hours ago, steven36 said:

Vista  Sp2  was better  than Windows 7  before  it got all  the  hot fixes in   Windows  7 SP1  it was a whole SP of bug fixes.  if you do the math  Vista  Sp2   came out  only little over 2  years  latter than Vista.  Windows ME  never got any  SP it was always  Windows ME 4.90.3000 but  Windows 10  has has 11  versions  GA   in 5 years  that was half  of Vista  , Windows 7  and Windows 8/8.1 life cycle  . Windows ME dont  count  because it never got any SP like the others  or Second Edition like Windows 98  i used it for a bit and switch to XP  after it came out I started out on Windows ME.

Windows ME would of been nice if  it had got 3 SP  like Windows XP did.  But they chose to never make it any better in favor  of XP. Because of the bad stigma it had . Same as they chose  Windows 7   over  Vista  because of bad  Stigma .And the same reason they chose Windows 10 over Windows 8 was bad stigma  . If  they would  done  like Apple  did in 2001  you would be using Windows XP  .But  they waited  tell  2015  to try and copy there release .MAC OSX 10 2001,  Windows 10  2015.  MAC OS  has like  one release  a year but they dont  push upgrades  on users like  Windows do now. You can keep using a old version if you want.   So that Mac Os 5 releases  to Windows 10  12 releases  .

Upgrades  have been over kill with no consumer  stability. The deal breaker for me was  when  upgrades would  mess up my  apps  that  i could not afford to buy  upgrades  for  ,On Windows  8.1  Ive not had that problem since 2014   it got no  updates  to change anything since Windows 8.1  Update 3.

Windows 10 has had 11 editions  and 1 on the DEV channel in 5 years and it still full of bugs. Windows 10  want  ever be stable  like  past versions was because they want stop adding new features  and just do some updates to make it stable  . unless  you use a LTS  version  which is illegal for consumers  to have so you  have 0 support.  I stop using windows 10 3 years ago and i still have  Windows 8.1  but i dont use it ether .  Ubuntu Linux is what use most of the time. I installed the install  im on now in  April 2018  and never no trouble  . This is the longest  i ever went without reinstalling a OS  in the  20  years i used PCs on a daily driver.  

Were  i use to test software  when i used Windows xp  I use to redo windows about every 30 days .  When i used Windows  7  was the longest  i went on Windows  on a daily driver without reinstalling.  On my old Vista SP2  PC  it still has Windows 7  on it,  i never used much  it  has the same Windows 7 install i put on it when Windows 7 was new lol  but I never used it all the time.

I want touch a OS unless it gets at lest 5 years support  im older now so i like  using  my OS  more than installing  it  and fixing it with workarounds. SOS  it was on Windows 10 3 years  ago i was doing manual  updates most of the time because auto updates was crap to install. On Linux  i can do auto updates everyday  and  they install  fine. But i dont  now i wait and do them like once a week.

for me the only really stable Windows versions I have used are: Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98 SE, Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 Update 3, and Windows 10 (any stable version).

and the ones with real troubles and unstable are: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.

2 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

Windows 8

I never  had any real  trouble with Windows 8  other than it use  to break one app  i had tell  they stop adding new features  and M$  sent out a few botched  updates  i had to uninstall tell they fixed  it. They sent out botched  updates on Windows 7  too  they been doing this even before Windows 10 came out  . Every since they laid  of there professional testers. People didnt like Windows  8 because  it   booted up in  Windows store app mode  , it  had a charm bar and no start menu .You  could go in settings and make it boot up on desktop always   even before they added  it too a update  that just made it default. They is a program to remove the charmbar  and   installing 3rd party start menu  is just like installing any other legacy app .  Windows 8  was always more stable than Windows 7 as far as not having bugs, Main reason was they added built in drivers for WiFi and stuff.   

That the reason Vista was so bad before SP2 thy laid off there testers back then and people try to run it on PCs that  were made for XP  and i staid on XP tell SP2 was out   Vista was a internal OS  at M$  for many years before they released  it and people was still using  hardware from the stoneage  so they was not ready for it unless  they bought  a PC  with it on it new .I used Windows 7 before SP1 i had lots of problems  with it i had to install many hotfixes  that were not on Windows update tell SP1 came out.   That why Windows 10  has been a shit show they laid off there professional testers again and replaced  them with laymen off the street  who only join insiders to get updates  faster. 

I can  report  closed source software  has a bug  in it  tel I turn blue in the face and that dont mean its ever going to get  fixed and even if they do fix it because a million people reported it  it dont mean the bug want come back on the next upgrade.  Insiders  are  not software testers  there bug reporters with no access to the source code . The US and China Governments have access too it but insiders dont. Windows 10   by the time  they  start getting  a version stable  they force a new version  on consumers  with a new set of bugs.  Insiders  are just for show  they fix most bugs now  with data they suck out from users.

People  who test software inflect bugs on themselves  from using  Alpha and beta software   i done that for many years  so i  can keep windows 10 going with workarounds .But i got bored  with testing Windows software in 2011  so i lost interest in it. I still  test Windows software on Linux in crossover  because it feels good to cheat the system . The main problem is there  exposing  the masses to beta software that are not software testers .

If your technically inclined and  know how to trouble shoot  your opinion of windows will never get M$ back all the desktop users they lost to  other OS your fighting  a lost cause .  I dont  even suggest you use Linux but   it is a option if you got fed up with Windows  like i did. No amount of fanboyism is going to help  it just makes things  worse because fanboys just confuse people . If M$  ever gets a big consumer base again  that will something M$ will have to do on there own.  Windows is   not a community maintained  product  its closed source  in reality. If they ever open source it were i can do what i want with it i would use it again. it that simple . As long as they act like they know what best  for me .Im not going  to use it im a grown man  that has to make my own choices  in life . So  im sure  not going to let anyone online make them for me.

Furthermore most people staid  on XP SP2  for along time  after SP3  came out that SP had regressions  when it was new  because i used it from day one when it released,  Even it killed cracks that were made on SP2  and it borke lots of legit software  as well. I used  XP for 10 years  so i used all the SP they had.

5 hours ago, Paquini said:

Remember that those updates are betas and it's normal they still have errors, don´t expect them as final editions.

Here is the page on m$oft site for 'September 8, 2020—KB4571756 (OS Build 19041.508) Applies to: Windows 10, version 2004, all editionsWindows Server version 2004': https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4571756/windows-10-update-kb4571756.

The update is stated as: 'security update includes quality improvements'. Where is the beta status?

1 hour ago, SPECTRUM said:

for me the only really stable Windows versions I have used are: Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98 SE, Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 Update 3, and Windows 10 (any stable version)

😊

14 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

for me the only really stable Windows versions I have used are: Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98 SE, Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 Update 3, and Windows 10 (any stable version).

and the ones with real troubles and unstable are: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.

i have win 10 too that ltsc version on other HDD.. its ok ok...

on main HDD once i installed win 10 enterprise...i undo it..crap..

back to win 7 sp1  64bit... luv it ..

i also try win 8 .. that also good

Archived