Avast fixes bug that made the June cumulative updates block many programs

Karlston

Microsoft has officially acknowledged that Avast (one of my least-favorite Windows programs) has plugged a bug that caused many different Windows programs to fail to launch. Per the official Release Information Status page:

Error when attempting to open any Microsoft Office application

We have received reports that some users are unable to open apps after installing KB4557957, especially Microsoft Office apps. Affected users might also receive an error, such as, ‘Windows cannot find “c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16\winword.exe” Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.’

Affected platforms:

Client: Windows 10, version 2004; Windows 10, version 1909; Windows 10, version 1903
Server: Windows Server, version 2004; Windows Server, version 1909; Windows Server, version 1903

Resolution: This issue has been resolved by Avast. This issue only affected devices with certain versions of Avast or AVG applications and was addressed with an update to their respective products. For more information on this, please see Avast’s forum post here. Note No update is needed for Windows or Microsoft Office to address this issue.

In fact, as Lawrence Abrams reports on BleepingComputer:

A component of the AVG/Avast security software causes Image File Execution Options registry entries to be created for various applications that would launch applications through a filter that points to C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\autoreactivator.exe.

A recent update broke something in this filter that was causing the programs to not launch.

I know, I know. People love their antivirus programs. I continue to use, and recommend, Microsoft’s Windows Defender. It’s effective, reliable and free.

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Views 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stylemessiah2

Pfffffft more personal bias " (one of my least-favorite Windows programs) " leads to story nonsense

I use Avast everywhere, and never heard or saw this error occuring in the wild....

Next....

13 minutes ago, stylemessiah2 said:

Pfffffft more personal bias " (one of my least-favorite Windows programs) " leads to story nonsense

Not personal bias, just Woody's personal opinion based on his experience.

Bias and disagreement aren't the same things. Are you biased for Avast or just disagreeing with Woody? :P

Nonsense? Microsoft themselves acknowledged that the problem existed, and that Avast fixed it.

zanderthunder
6 hours ago, Karlston said:

Error when attempting to open any Microsoft Office application

We have received reports that some users are unable to open apps after installing KB4557957, especially Microsoft Office apps. Affected users might also receive an error, such as, ‘Windows cannot find “c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16\winword.exe” Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.’

Affected platforms:

Client: Windows 10, version 2004; Windows 10, version 1909; Windows 10, version 1903
Server: Windows Server, version 2004; Windows Server, version 1909; Windows Server, version 1903

Resolution: This issue has been resolved by Avast. This issue only affected devices with certain versions of Avast or AVG applications and was addressed with an update to their respective products. For more information on this, please see Avast’s forum post here. Note No update is needed for Windows or Microsoft Office to address this issue.

No wonder.

Even GeForce Experience also failed to start as well on my computer last time.

So I search on Avast forum and found this simple solution to fix the problem, using Regedit:

Apparently the issue was caused by Avast!!    I read on the Microsoft community board that a quick fix was to do the following:

1. open run  (Windows key + r)
2. type regedit
3. navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Option
4. delete the folders of the apps that don`t work

2 hours ago, Karlston said:

Bias and disagreement aren't the same things. Are you biased for Avast or just disagreeing with Woody?

Hes always gets upset  when people talks down on Avast  , I used  it for years  because kaspersky started blacklisting  keys i even beta tested for them  and helped them fix a bug  in one of there betas  then i stop beta testing for them,  heck with.Net stop working in my PC because of AVAST's buggy software  in 2014  Avast was having serious  problems with false positives it was flagging my legit programs  my AMD Drivers and and  the Auto converter  i was  using at the time components thats how i 1st  meet him on this board he got all out of whack about me just being honest .I ended up switching to NOD32 tell  i ended up on Linux  now they have the same problem with keys. 😆

I don't understand people who still don't understand that such a malware like Avast should never be on anyone's computer. Why you put such a thing on your computer, it is never needed by anyone.
It's absolute junk and malware.

Archived