Is there any way to buy Windows7 via download?

LeetPirate

@ LeetPirate But the cert of a OEM is brand specified. ie HP must have a HP cert. and Acer must have a Acer cert. A self assemble pc does not have a specified brand even if the bios is slic 2.1.

Not true, it is vendor neutral, you have the option of adding in your own branding to it. You have to use the OEM Preinstallation Kit to get it done if you want to brand it.

• Replies 33
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<br />
<br />@ LeetPirate But the cert of a OEM is brand specified. ie HP must have a HP cert. and Acer must have a Acer cert. A self assemble pc does not have a specified brand even if the bios is slic 2.1.<br />
<br />Not true, it is vendor neutral, you have the option of adding in your own branding to it. You have to use the OEM Preinstallation Kit to get it done if you want to brand it.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

But your slic 2.1 is tied to the cert .

Meaning you need to have a XX brand Slic 2.1 with a XX brand cert and then use any of the manufacturer keys....hmmm look illegal to me. LOL!

Anyway just my opinion.

No, I think there is still some confusion. It is fully legal to use OEM to install on a PC like that. According to M$, it is only illegal to try using the same OEM key on more than one machine. OEM is a per machine thing and like I said once you install it on a machine the activation is tied to that motherboard.

So, does this mean you cannot load a HDD image of OEM on other machines, legally or not? Would not work?

John

No, I think there is still some confusion. It is fully legal to use OEM to install on a PC like that. According to M$, it is only illegal to try using the same OEM key on more than one machine. OEM is a per machine thing and like I said once you install it on a machine the activation is tied to that motherboard.
Default License (Retail??)
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

OEM License

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer. The software license is {permanently} assigned to the computer with which the {software is distributed}. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

So, does this mean you cannot load a HDD image of OEM on other machines, legally or not? Would not work?

John

It is against the EULA to image an OEM on to a different computer. The key word is {permanently}. And most OEM is sold with a computer. Retail is sold without a computer.

Would it work? Yes, but only if enough hardware hash matched up. The level of success is very low with a different motherboard.

The only time you can legally transfer OEM license to another motherboard is if you call Microsoft and explain your situation and they reactivate it for you. For example if your pc is dead for some reason and the board needs changing etc. They have done it in the past and if they do it then it is legal. I would not expect people to lie and abuse that because that's how good things get ruined and then Microsoft will go Draconian on everyone.

But your slic 2.1 is tied to the cert .

Meaning you need to have a XX brand Slic 2.1 with a XX brand cert and then use any of the manufacturer keys....hmmm look illegal to me. LOL!

Anyway just my opinion.

Remember SLIC is just 1 of 3 ways you can activate OEM. SLIC is for the big companies, the smaller ones use the regular internet activation.

The only time you can legally transfer OEM license to another motherboard is if you call Microsoft and explain your situation and they reactivate it for you. For example if your pc is dead for some reason and the board needs changing etc. They have done it in the past and if they do it then it is legal. I would not expect people to lie and abuse that because that's how good things get ruined and then Microsoft will go Draconian on everyone.

People are expected not to lie, but they often do. Lies are truth when stupid people believe in them. And yes, I tried not to be stupid.

Archived