Is there any way to buy Windows7 via download?

LeetPirate

Strange question to be asking right? Buy and windows in the same sentence... :lol:

Anyway I might need to purchase Windows7 in future but having to wait for a cd to ship in a box is silly for digital content. Is there any way possible to purchase Win7 via download and receive the keys via email?

• Replies 33
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're ready to purchase Windows 7 for your own PC, order or download it today. All Windows XP and Windows Vista editions qualify for a Windows 7 upgrade.

It's even the default option when you go to the next page :P

Site: http://www.microsoft.com

Sharecode: /Windows/buy/default.aspx

Strange question to be asking right? Buy and windows in the same sentence... :lol:

Anyway I might need to purchase Windows7 in future but having to wait for a cd to ship in a box is silly for digital content. Is there any way possible to purchase Win7 via download and receive the keys via email?

Yes, you can but in a round about way. You basically use the phone activation method. After 2 unsuccessful automated attempts, you will get a live person. Cut to the chase and tell the person that you have a pirated copy and would like to pay. I think you pay and get the key over the telephone. I suppose you can ask the MS rep to email you the key. Once you get the key, please PM it to me so I can test it to make sure the key is not pirated. I don't trust these people. For all I know, they are the ones who give out pirated keys.

Sharecode my ass. :P

The retail one is too expensive I prefer like an OEM pack or something. Any download option for OEM Ultimate?

Yes, you can but in a round about way. You basically use the phone activation method. After 2 unsuccessful automated attempts, you will get a live person. Cut to the chase and tell the person that you have a pirated copy and would like to pay. I think you pay and get the key over the telephone. I suppose you can ask the MS rep to email you the key. Once you get the key, please PM it to me so I can test it to make sure the key is not pirated. I don't trust these people. For all I know, they are the ones who give out pirated keys.

:rofl:

An interesting idea however it's not for me personally but for others. ^_^

I don't think you can purchase a genuine OEM Windows 7 OS by itself. OEM comes with the manufacturer machine. In fact, there is not much different between a OEM and Retail version.

I don't think you can purchase a genuine OEM Windows 7 OS by itself. OEM comes with the manufacturer machine. In fact, there is not much different between a OEM and Retail version.

They do sell it, for system builders etc. but anyone can buy it. Like here. But I just want to pay online and get the licenses/keys instead of waiting for a dvd to come in the mail.

The biggest differences between the OEM and Retail are the activation method and support. For OEM you need to contact the manufacturer of the PC or whom you got it form. For retail, you contact MS.

Once you get the key, please PM it to me so I can test it to make sure the key is not pirated.

:stupid:

Although this sound strange, I can say for sure that box is most trusted person here. He would never use the key for himself, so please spare us with this kind of comments.

Cheers ;)

Please on-topic now guys.

Leet, can't you make a deal with an OEM like HP, they supply the stuff? :P

Once you get the key, please PM it to me so I can test it to make sure the key is not pirated.

:stupid:

Although this sound strange, I can say for sure that box is most trusted person here. He would never use the key for himself, so please spare us with this kind of comments.

Cheers ;)

@mara I believe box actually was kidding ;) Not sure though :P

Please on-topic now guys.

Leet, can't you make a deal with an OEM like HP, they supply the stuff? :P

It has been a while since I read OEM license agreement. The last time I read one it specifically states that OEM is not for individual sales. Let me dig it up.

Default License (Retail??)

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

OEM License

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer. The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

The point that I just want to make is if Retail is too expensive and you buy an individual OEM, then it is still pirated. So, the question really is: Do you still want to pay for pirated a copy. Also, you have to deal with activation and validation. Remember, you can not activate OEM via the internet. So, back to using a boot loader to BIOS mod. Now, we just came to a complete circle and right back where we were.

All this discussing, LOL. I won't be buying the licenses for me, it's for people who want it on their pc when I build it so it's no problem to use OEM. OEM is supposed to have 3 methods of activation I think so it won't matter. OEM is tied to the motherboard of the pc you install it to, which won't be my concern once I hand it over to the buyer.

What about if I buy technet subscription? Will I be able to get keys that I can resell?

What about if I buy technet subscription? Will I be able to get keys that I can resell?

You will get access to numerous keys able to be activated on any computer. The purpose of being a technet subscriber is to be able to test out stuff (i.e - keys are not to be used in an working environment). To my knowledge there is no time limits on the keys provided though.

You will get access to numerous keys able to be activated on any computer. The purpose of being a technet subscriber is to be able to test out stuff (i.e - keys are not to be used in an working environment). To my knowledge there is no time limits on the keys provided though.

Sounds too elite to waste on reselling then.

That's weird..thought OEM means the OS is bundle together with the machine.

It more means it's tied to the machine, specifically it is tied to the motherboard alone, you can change any other part except the motherboard itself. Even if you replace the motherboard with an exact replica you will need to call Microsoft to explain the situation and get it reactivated because it is tied to the mac address on the board. I guess you could also try cloning your old mac address and bypass that even if you change the board but regular users won't even know where to start.

you guys make me laugh!

:D

and almost serious discussion how to... :s Pay M$... :D

I'm almost done downloading (probably another day left) :frusty: and if any good (as anticipated to be already patched and still going to pass WGA :huh: going only by the promise of the patcher)- I'll share the links :ph34r: or I will find the patcher included and will share it here :ph34r:

So...to assemble a pc and then using OEM Win 7 OS would be illegal.

No, I think there is still some confusion. It is fully legal to use OEM to install on a PC like that. According to M$, it is only illegal to try using the same OEM key on more than one machine. OEM is a per machine thing and like I said once you install it on a machine the activation is tied to that motherboard.

you guys make me laugh!

:D

and almost serious discussion how to... :s Pay M$... :D

I'm almost done downloading (probably another day left) :frusty: and if any good (as anticipated to be already patched and still going to pass WGA :huh: going only by the promise of the patcher)- I'll share the links :ph34r: or I will find the patcher included and will share it here :ph34r:

LOL but this is a serious discussion, I dunno why everyone thinks it's a joke. :huh:

Anyway based on all this I see that M$ has left me no choice in the matter. There does not seem to be a way to even buy licences wholesale. How am I supposed to resell this crap now. It was easier to resell XP because that price was not as high but Win7 is 320USD an already high price which does not leave much room for even a tiny price markup. :(

This is unfair, and also the reason they make piracy such an easier option. The only thing I can do it seems is to buy a 3pack OEM system builder edition from Amazon.

So I have part of the answer I am looking for, I know where to buy Win7 retail download. Now it's just a matter of if there are any legit websites that could offer the same download at a wholesale pricing or just a discounted price maybe to leave some room for price markup.

:eekout:

Best of luck!

On a serious note I just cant understand as what you are trying tto achieve here?

if you want something for yourself- read my moto- I wouln't approve

If you want to re'sell it- you are not allowed to, never was or will be. the reason of Piracy combating by M$

If you want to build PC's and sell them, either OEM's or nothing, or nothing advertised as PC with Windows7- once again you purchase of licence does not allow you to sell it with profit or loss

Hope that clears on how I understand

and would behave! Quoting JessicaLeigh: pur..; purch...; purchas...- downloadid it! :smartass:

I highly doubt that MS ties the OEM to the motherboard. This is beause a friend of mine bought an OEM version of Win7, activated it. But then he wanted to change the hard drive but realised if he did that then he would lose the license. So he wiped the hdd with Windows on clean, then phoned MS to say he was replacing the hdd because it failed. MS just said thats fine and let him activate it again... ^_^

So basically this got around the fact the license was limited to one machine, or in actual case the hdd!

Also known as a loophole. :sneaky:

Don't know if this is true on all occasions though...

I highly doubt that MS ties the OEM to the motherboard. This is beause a friend of mine bought an OEM version of Win7, activated it. But then he wanted to change the hard drive but realised if he did that then he would lose the license. So he wiped the hdd with Windows on clean, then phoned MS to say he was replacing the hdd because it failed. MS just said thats fine and let him activate it again... ^_^

So basically this got around the fact the license was limited to one machine, or in actual case the hdd!

Also known as a loophole. :sneaky:

Don't know if this is true on all occasions though...

Mkay... old days blatant: I've bought it; crash; reinstalling it worked! dunno lately tho

@ LeetPirate But the cert of a OEM is brand specified. ie HP must have a HP cert. and Acer must have a Acer cert. A self assemble pc does not have a specified brand even if the bios is slic 2.1.

Archived