Laptop Problem

Sonar

when i click anything on firefox or IE i get the "not responding" text on the top bar... and the click doesnt work, i have to click the link 3-6 times to get anywhere...

has anyone else had this problem?

Ive uninstalled and reinstalled firefox.

Ive ran ccleaner, mbam, registry cleaner.

Windows 7 ultimate

firefox 3.5.6

• Replies 34
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is your CPU Usage ramping up? and do you have a screen shot or list of all of your running processes? Type of protection in place ESS..AVIRA...? System hardware specs? List of extensions and plugins installed? Any recently installed? ( weather extensions and RSS Feeds ( number of )?

What add-ons/plug-ins do you have in firefox? When you uninstalled firefox did you delete all the settings including the add-ons/plugins before reinstalling it?

Acer TravelMate 5320

Intel dual 2.13ghs / 2.13ghs - 1 gig ram.

Antivirus & Spyware

EAV

Mbam

No wierd processors running, I think i ruled out Firefox as IE does the same.

I can click on any link either fast or slow and at times just flash's the screen.

Have you tried running a Disk Cleanup.. and removing any and all files..? You might also try running SpyBot Search and Destroy..several areas can cover items that could be interfering.. and posting a HiJack This! Log.. Any recent installations, ran anything to patch or fix anything recently? Any other strange symptoms?

• Administrator

There are some infections that even MBAM cannot remove. Download the latest Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. If you do regular windows update then no need to download it. Just start menu > Run > MRT. And select full computer scan. ;) . For logs of the scan, run > notepad c:\windows\debug\mrt.log (after scanning).

There are some infections that even MBAM cannot remove. Download the latest Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. If you do regular windows update then no need to download it. Just start menu > Run > MRT. And select full computer scan. ;) . For logs of the scan, run > notepad c:\windows\debug\mrt.log (after scanning).

disk clean up done.

run the MRT on quick scan - clean.

the log is clean to me. so i dont know whats causing it :(

HJT log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 09:53:24, on 21/12/2009
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
C:\Users\rob\Desktop\New folder\HiJackThis_v202.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O23 - Service: ESET HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ESET Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: TeamViewer 5 (TeamViewer5) - TeamViewer GmbH - C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\Version5\TeamViewer_Service.exe
O23 - Service: TomTomHOMEService - TomTom - C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 3535 bytes

What version of Windows 7 are you running? Have you messed with any of the permissions or security settings.. One thing I am thinking is there could be a Plugin, BHO, or ActiveX.. even a startup DLL file involved that may not need to be there.. You could check it with SpyBot Search and Destroy. These sometimes don't show up in HiJack This!.. and can be difficult to remove.. Also did you try a Disk Cleanup.. to make sure you haven't picked anything up online?

• Administrator

@Sonar: What heath has mentioned can be also be the case.

For MRT, quick scan normally doesn't find infections. I use it every month. Normally it doesn't find anythin until you do a full scan.

I guess some files are missin from the root directory. But did you tried startin these both browsers on different user account?

@Sonar: What heath has mentioned can be also be the case.

For MRT, quick scan normally doesn't find infections. I use it every month. Normally it doesn't find anythin until you do a full scan.

I guess some files are missin from the root directory. But did you tried startin these both browsers on different user account?

Havent tried another user account. will do try that later. this isnt my laptop so im not 100% sure where or how this bug come from.

"windows 7 ultimate 6.1.7600"

• Administrator

Try another user account before anythin else. It will determine if the user account is problematic or the problem is related to whole computer.

What version of Windows 7 are you running? Have you messed with any of the permissions or security settings.. One thing I am thinking is there could be a Plugin, BHO, or ActiveX.. even a startup DLL file involved that may not need to be there.. You could check it with SpyBot Search and Destroy. These sometimes don't show up in HiJack This!.. and can be difficult to remove.. Also did you try a Disk Cleanup.. to make sure you haven't picked anything up online?

I did turn off UAC fully off by the slider - could that have anything to do with it? enabling UAC hasnt fixed the problem.

Ran s&d - found nothing.

When you ran SpyBot .. did you check the Startup Entries, ActiveX and BHO's?.. or just run a scan? I would be looking for foreign or odd named .dll files in System32 maybe even anything odd in WINDOWS.. rare but sometimes a good place to look.. Soe of these I have had to use BartPE to boot from and remove because they will keep coming back.. Then I have to go in a remove the registry entries..if they had any accompanying them..

May want to default the Advanced Internet Options as well..( the last tab I think ) just to make sure.. There are some settings in there can can inhibit pages and links from working correctly if they are set improperly.. ( at which point I would feel stupid but happy that the problem is solved.. had a few of those )

@ Heath, HJT doens't find a trojan. It reads the processes that have been used at startup and other.

So I don't think this is do to any trojans. Since the scans are clean.

Could there be any process running thats eating all your ram? (ctrl+alt+del)

I'm currently running win7 x64 ultimate on a 1 gb ram. And If I use Photoshop and try to do other stuff at the same time, I do get the same thing you have. (almost the same tho :P )

And yea, photoshop is a real resource hog!

So, check how much free ram you have. (Screenshot of ur processess would be good :) )

@ Heath, HJT doens't find a trojan. It reads the processes that have been used at startup and other.

So I don't think this is do to any trojans. Since the scans are clean.

Well the only reason that I mention this is that I have seen HJT not detect what SpyBot lists as startup DLL's.. otherwise I would not have mentioned it..same for several others BHO's and so on.. I think ( guessing ) it could have something to do with the fact it hasn't really been updated since 2002/5 or whenever.. Malware/malicious and other types of startups/problems have developed since that time.. The ability to spoof has changed as well..Regardless all of this is a shot in the dark thus far..

Yeah i checked out the bho's and dlls through spybot (within the tools section) was all normal.

Ive ran winaso to see if that solved it - didnt solve it.

Ok even tho i thought it was a browser problem the problem seems to be there on just opening/closeing normal windows.

eg my docs... my computer... i see the text at the top saying "not responding" and it shouldnt be there :s

Have any of the settings been messed with for your AV setup? The processes maybe getting scanned twice by both... and even the settings could be set to do more than what you want.. Common issue when running two separate engines.. I get this sometimes when putting a lot of load on my PC like what was mentioned before.. but with nothing running.. I can get this when I am doing a lot of shredding/erasing.. and switching back and forth between windows.. The system is scanning each file/dir I got to and running a high CPU usage when I am erasing.. I also notice this when running True Transparency because of the shadowing and translucency it applies to each window, so you get a high load on the GPU.. which can be as bad as running 100% CPU and high RAM.. the process also interacts directly with system files if I am not mistaken so it gets scanned all at the same time..

So I am not for sure if you have anything of the sort going on.. but it could be.. I also am not sure how well optimized your system is task scheduling and several other areas that.. even with good hardware.. because of the timing of those tasks running and eating up resources in the background.. it could be interfering with normal operation..

It sounds like a few small things but cumulative and timed correctly could be a big problem.. double checking these areas could shed some light.. and even making sure that System Settings are as best as can be ( for appearance and other areas ) could free up your system. IMO, I think that if your have two AV's running.. you should definitely do what you can to try to make room for them.. or upgrade it to the best software available and leave it at one.. Just a thought..

EDIT: Wanted to mention too that if you haven't disabled UAC properly.. you may still have problems with the process interfering.. there is also a HIPS function of Windows 7, which in a way interacts and uses UAC.. so double check the method.. make sure its proper..

• Administrator

That's why I mentioned it. I had a similar problem few years ago. I think it was because some infection in my user account and that infection spread over another accounts. But it may not be a case here.

That's why I mentioned it. I had a similar problem few years ago. I think it was because some infection in my user account and that infection spread over another accounts. But it may not be a case here.

isit safe to create another admin account and delete the one that has problems?

• Administrator

Well I have no idea about user accounts on vista and windows 7. :(

Ive created another user account and that has no problems at all.

Sounds like your original user account is corrupted. Is the original user account an admin account?

Ive created another user account and that has no problems at all.

Sounds like your original user account is corrupted. Is the original user account an admin account?

yeah. from that ive created another admin account (from here can i remove the old user admin?)

Ok is the new user account you created an admin account as well? also, deleting this user account would mean deleting the profile as well (files and settings).

Ok you just answered my question. Yes you can delete the old one, but as I said the profile (files and setting) would also be deleted.

Archived