Corrupt Registry

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

I'm always bringing about trouble, but this time i really f'ed up.

So in respect to me trying to solve my slow bootup problem...

I went ahead and instlaled RegVac and optimized my Registry along with RegPack or whatever feature that is...

(Here's something worse... Uninstalled the program as well ><)

I guess something went askew... Because once I rebooted... BSOD after the "Starting Windows" screen.

I can not format... As I got info on it that I need to back up still..

Can't really get into Safe Mode as it gives me the option of Start Normally and Repair which doesn't help at all...

Not too sure if I can repair the Reg as I know that's the problem, I do see the backups (I think) in the RegVac directory in System32, so hopefully something can be done to fix this.

As I can access the Command Prompt if that helps any...

I just hope to fix this and NOT have to format =X

Man I love to screw things up.

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Do you have a Live CD? Get it. Again SFC/ SCANNOW may work. I think. :unsure:

So did repair worked?

@DKT27:

I think file(s) are not the problem.

@SacredCultivator:

I haven't used RegVac for a very long time, but I remember about the backups.

The best thing you can do is to gain access to those backups.

SacredCultivator

As I mentioned... Can't even get windows ot boot... So not too sure how I will be able to even access those files...

I am 100% sure it's Registry at fault not much so files.

PS:

No live CD ><

Can you get a BartPE CD? ( not these so called Live CD's.. its different.. you boot from it and it has its own little environment.. If you can.. some way.. even downloading one and burning it.. You MIGHT be able to either run the program..and restore after booting from the BartPE CD ( if you have a portable version ) or drag and drop the files .. IF they are .reg on regedit.exe.. MAYBE ( I am pretty sure that it could be done or atleast attempted.. IF the files are not in that format ( .reg ) then it may be a little more difficult.. Have you looked at the site for any info on this? ( for RegVac ).. Maybe something you could do or run in the command prompt.. which actually it would seem as though you could if the files are in the right format.. ( but I don't know the exact line to type.. )

If you eventually have to reformat.. there is a way to get your files off the drive first if you need to ..several ways.. but anyway..

EDIT: You really are not having any luck.. :huh:

• Administrator

BartPE CD? I heard that if you get one that's already made, it is known for viruses(the already made one).

How about Mini XP Mode in Hiren's BootCD?

Well DKT27.. your always against BartPE.. like it snuck in and took your innocence one night or something..LOL.. But no.. A real BartPE CD is virus free.. if you get one off a site that is loaded with crap from some !@#$%^&* then more than likely you could.. but if you have adequate protection it won't even make it into your system.. So while you "HEAR" these things.. anyone can say anything.. so..

The reason I suggest the BartPE CD is that it offers a stripped down basic Windows environment and accompanying files that will allow you to run an existing program .. Provided.. it has those files .. ( and doesn't rely soely on registry entries..itself..Some other CD.. will not offer this.. Simple.. and that's it.. otherwise.. you could load anything you wanted.. It also ( some ) come with A4 and Total Commander which allows you to access and run the files in your Window installation and access your hard drive.. You can also access your system through a Network by loading the Network drivers and even pull your files off with a USB stick..or external drive... quite useful if you ask me for this type of situation...and allows for a wider range of options when your trying to repair the installation of concerning file sin this manner.

• Administrator

Well I'm not against BartPE at all. It goes like that, few months ago someone told me it's slow and buggy. Now just a few days ago one of my friend reported it havin a virus and got his PC infected, and that person is sort of geek. Two days ago another friend of mine told me that he came across a somethin that says it's infected. Now as you say the original BartPE wont have any infections. Yea that's true but where can a person find the original one?

You know I was impressed when I read about BartPE on wiki. I was goin to download it. I visited TPB and many other good torrent sites. You will see none of them (the torrents) are trustable. If you can get the original BartPE, then even I would download it. Considering the pluses you have mentioned. :)

But I would also recommend Hiren's BootCD even it may not seem better than BartPE, but it can boot in low mem usage and has some great programs that can help.

@DKT27:

If your friends got BartPE from a reliable source or made it themselves, they won't have any malware problems.

I believe you can still access the command prompt right? In that case you can try to run a system restore via the command prompt:

1 At your command prompt type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

2. Hit Enter

3. This will open the system restore wizard…

Hope this helps.

SacredCultivator

I'm up for downlaoding whatever is needed if I can just restore the registry OR to just save my files if possible.

That BartPE stuff completely went through my head ><

Gonna try that Command Prompt and see if that works.

Although not too sure if my CD can restore it. As it an all-in-one that includes 32/64 bit installations.

---

EDIT:

Okay command prompt didn't work as it says it can't find the path.

Unno if it matters, keep in mind thi sis Windows 7 64-bit

On the command prompt, can you try typing only this rstrui.exe then hit enter.

SacredCultivator

What would it be under? Just my boot drive? So "C:/"?

Since I get error of it just not being an internal or external command... ><

---

EDIT:

Nvm worked, but I was able to do that without cmd... SADLY I disabled it as I never had a purpose for it .... till now =X

Or might there be anbother 'command' I might be able to use that might be on the Win 7 Installation cd that can just 're-install' the os without formatting?

Would that mean you cannot run system restore because System Protection Service is disabled or your all good from here?

Edit: I duno if you can reinstall just the OS without your files being deleted.

SacredCultivator

Meaning I have it disabled, so I don't have any restore points...

Can I take the risk of this?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

I don't mind formatting BUT after I am able ot back-up myh information..

So there is an option to install without formatting, but the warnings scare me..

This might help

check post #15

Edit: I have tried that upgrade from vista to win7, believe me man it was messy as hell, I ended up losing all my files (my fault did not backup).

For windows 7 upgrade to windows 7, I dunno haven't tried yet.

dude GTG, just keep me posted, I'll check this thread later. Goodluck!

SacredCultivator

Okay.. Of anything I think that post made things worse, as I think I 'wiped' my registry... ><

SacredCultivator

Okay.. LUCKILY installing over OS works fine, as everythign is stored under a .old folder... So I was able to back everythig up and format.

I guess this is 'solved'

Does it boot any faster nooooww... ^_^ ( poke ...poke ) :lmao: Seems 64 bit compatibility with some registry defraggers and cleaners aren't always a good idea.. just going by the reading of the post that nivrid linked too..

EDIT: Don't mean to poke fun.. but I couldn't help it..LOL .. Also You can actually make your own BartPE CD.. its actually how it was designed to be made.. Rarely lt you can find one that is done correctly.. I downloaded one of mine.. over 4 years ago.. and it had several very valuable tools with it.. I have made a few attempts at making one myself.. not bad either.. just have to work out some of the plugins.. and I ran out of plain CD's..( which I promised not to buy.. and I think I am going to do my next one on a USB Drive.. which you can do too..but it has to be empty so it can be written correctly.. ) A little time and a few CD's and you can have your very own customized Boot CD.. Helps when removing problems.. and recovering your system from crashes.. I would suggest getting your self one, or making one.. when you have a chance..

OH yeah I almost forgot.. you have to watch GEEKS.. just because they are dorks .. don't mean they are intelligent.. Like Einstein.. people can be sooo smart .. that they are stupid.. My sister, myself.. several others seemed to get suckered in and a veil pulled over their eyes in the past by just that perception... So truth of the matter is that .. appearances can be deceiving as well as information given .. especially when it comes to self gain.. or involvement..

So... ' Contradict Yourself ' - Gianni Versace ... as well as everyone else... but do it to explore for yourself... Some things can be tested without total destruction of the most precious. Without sometimes the indeterminable outcome of others, with other sets of circumstances.. States of enlightenment/blindness or lack thereof, can be contagious; like a disease.. both good and bad..

@sacredcultivator

dude, I'm sorry if the link I gave you messed up your registry even more :frusty: , but I'm glad you were able to fix the problem now.

BTW RegVac Registry Cleaner 5.02.03 has just been posted by Jofre, you might wanna check it out :lol:

• Administrator

Glad you got it solved. :)

For Boot CDs, best option is, go for a multiboot DVD. :lol:

SacredCultivator

Update as I thank you all for your help ^_^.

Boot-up has NOT changed after formatting... BUT I think I found the problem although haven't tested fully...

It seems to have to do with the ATI Drivers. As when I tried uninstalling it and doing TWO reboots, they were fast.

Then after I installed it back, there is a huge delay.

Another NEW problem that happens randomly... During boot up... my screen is 'BLANK" BUT you can see my.. well like 1/100th of my desktop flickering like crazy at the top of the screen, and only way to get it to 'normal' is putting my computer to sleep and then logging back on.

It's weird... But I think for now, I'll play it 'safe' and just not reboot =P

SacredCultivator

Everything is up to date.

MOBO => ASUS P5Q Pro

Video Card: ATI Radeon 4830

Archived