Do we still use CCleaner?

Diego T.

• Replies 75
  • Views 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, randomjester said:

Partially...

Indeed, good point, forgot this list of trusted companies/vendors. In point of fact the first thing I did with comodo before to use it is to delete this list. Don't know either if ccleaner is considered as safe by comodo, all got erased from this huge list. Even if Comodo trusts these companies/vendors, I don't.

16 hours ago, Lexionline said:

It's been more than 3 months since the last version (v5.63.7540 _15 Oct 2019).We're used to more frequent updates.Hope the developers didn't become frustrated and lazy after Avast bought Piriform.And to be honest ...I deeply dislike this.

There's no need for an update if there's nothing that needs to be fixed. Are there bugs you're encountering that need fixing?

No.Personally I didn' encounter no problem using it.
But things are always to be better.
The idea is not that a product needs to be updated just to fix bugs .
In addition, cleaning algorithms can be constantly improved with better support for new software and browsers or by adding new features in Ccleaner.

Thanks everyone for their input.

I will keep using it but I saw some settings that where shared that I will change.

Since time i stared more interested more about my system..  i stoped use any cleaners auto task etc... now i make manual snapshot from clean fresh system and my current and complare it with few diagnostic tools and than i know what is changed what not and i can more easier find chanees bulk files to clean whch miss cleaners..

Imo last time i see Dism++ is better than ccleaner if smb search for better alternative..

On 1/19/2020 at 2:29 AM, frankl1n said:

I still use ccleaner for some specific tasks that it excels at, for instance managing startup items. I use v5.32 because afaik it is the last version that Piriform developed before Avast acquired them.

Any link?

On 1/19/2020 at 8:59 AM, zigzag said:

I don't use Kaspersky nor Avast.

ccleaner installer version collected data.

The portable version is fine as far as i know.

Any link to portable?

Not sure if the ccleaner effect is just placebo at this stage. Computers are so fast these days / loading time negligible that I'm not sure how clearing those few mb will make any meaningful improvements.

4 hours ago, Endell3884 said:

Not sure if the ccleaner effect is just placebo at this stage. Computers are so fast these days / loading time negligible that I'm not sure how clearing those few mb will make any meaningful improvements.

Well there's at least two reasons to use such a cleaner, one for HD space improvements and two for privacy improvements. If you use a cleaner regularly the HD space improvements will be negligible, but if not you can expect at least several hundred MB of space savings. I'm not sure if the trend is or will be for new computers storing all user files in a cloud and thus only needing a very small local HD, but if that's the case every MB will be precious. But I think a cleaner is primarily used for privacy improvements.

yes, been using this since version 2.01. I have set it up to run automatically at startup and block all outgoing connections.

portableapps.com not official

Here is the link

www.ccleaner.com/go/get_ccportable

eg. ccsetup563.zip contains:

Spoiler

├── CCleaner64.exe
├── CCleaner.exe
├── lang
│   ├── lang-1025.dll
│   ├── lang-1026.dll
│   ├── lang-1027.dll
│   ├── lang-1028.dll
│   ├── lang-1029.dll
│   ├── lang-1030.dll
│   ├── lang-1031.dll
│   ├── lang-1032.dll
│   ├── lang-1033.dll
│   ├── lang-1034.dll
│   ├── lang-1035.dll
│   ├── lang-1036.dll
│   ├── lang-1037.dll
│   ├── lang-1038.dll
│   ├── lang-1040.dll
│   ├── lang-1041.dll
│   ├── lang-1042.dll
│   ├── lang-1043.dll
│   ├── lang-1044.dll
│   ├── lang-1045.dll
│   ├── lang-1046.dll
│   ├── lang-1048.dll
│   ├── lang-1049.dll
│   ├── lang-1050.dll
│   ├── lang-1051.dll
│   ├── lang-1052.dll
│   ├── lang-1053.dll
│   ├── lang-1054.dll
│   ├── lang-1055.dll
│   ├── lang-1057.dll
│   ├── lang-1058.dll
│   ├── lang-1059.dll
│   ├── lang-1060.dll
│   ├── lang-1061.dll
│   ├── lang-1062.dll
│   ├── lang-1063.dll
│   ├── lang-1065.dll
│   ├── lang-1066.dll
│   ├── lang-1067.dll
│   ├── lang-1068.dll
│   ├── lang-1071.dll
│   ├── lang-1079.dll
│   ├── lang-1081.dll
│   ├── lang-1086.dll
│   ├── lang-1087.dll
│   ├── lang-1090.dll
│   ├── lang-1092.dll
│   ├── lang-1102.dll
│   ├── lang-1104.dll
│   ├── lang-1109.dll
│   ├── lang-1110.dll
│   ├── lang-1155.dll
│   ├── lang-2052.dll
│   ├── lang-2070.dll
│   ├── lang-2074.dll
│   ├── lang-3098.dll
│   ├── lang-5146.dll
│   └── lang-9999.dll
├── License.txt
└── portable.dat

Application not packaged by piriform or avast and not published by their site = not official

Files might match. Sure they clean from 3rd party site. No offense.

• 3 weeks later...

yes i still use cCleaner. really a useful one. i scan my computer every Sunday by scheduled so i dont even need to remember to clean my PC's junk files

for me the answer is no.

I gave up using CCleaner earlier this February since that app has not been updated since mid-October 2019

I'm now using recent 2020 versions of BleachBit & Wise Disk Cleaner and never looked back 😁

My experience is to use the portable version and do not use the Winapp2.ini, which may casue trouble if not properly checked.

1 hour ago, medp7060 said:

My experience is to use the portable version and do not use the Winapp2.ini, which may casue trouble if not properly checked.

What about your other apps (those appearing in winapp2), are they portable too or installed?

On 1/18/2020 at 10:25 PM, csmdew said:

Most of the ppl on here are like me and collecting all the info in the world on them wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. Nobody is out to get u, no big brother after you. Too much paranoia in this world.

good one, buddy 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

well the v5.64 release of CCleaner came out early March 2020 - almost four & a half months after the 5.63 release back in late Oct. 2019

too little too late for me as I already got rid of CCleaner several weeks ago

better late than never for a newer version I suppose

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is a plain NO! 

The software is a bloatware and any noob with even an ounce of a brain would halt its use and just learn from where the temp. bits come from.

These days there is no need as such to use the utility as the microsoft's own disk cleaner has been much improved in 1909 Version of Windows 10 and has left no space for such stupid softwares.

The most you need is telementrary blocking and for that there are flawless tools such as BlackBird and all - can be found in this forum! 

A peace! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived