Av-Comparatives Retrospective/Proactive Test - november 2009

someone

Tests results published

http://anonymz.com/?http://av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

Again Avira at the Top. Got a "advanced" because of the FP's (not importants FP's i think....2-3 maybe)

Kaspersky and Avast Improved alot it results since the first one in may.

Good results for ESET, GDATA and Microsoft too.

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Thanx for the info. So ESET got A+. :think:

I wonder if Avira is as light as ESET. thinking-021.gif

Used avira for some time and not noted much difference regarding this. The 2 offer decent protection without slow the PC.

• Administrator

I heard that Avira also has a bootscan module? Or it's Avast? :unsure:

Avast have it integrated into the AV (and you schedule it for the next time the computer power on/restart). Avira have a boot cd (if i'm not wrong is free to download).

• Administrator

You are right. Avast has boots time scan option and not Avira.

GDATA has a boot CD.. as well.. not for sure about the rescue CD available with ESS.. I haven't made one yet as yo have to download a 1 GB file from Microsoft and install to make the CD..Not possible with anything under Vista..

Wow, didn't expect Microsoft Security Essentials to get 3-Stars :fear:

Microsoft Security Essentials have chance to be a good product. Have a decent detection( that i think will increase with time) and the proactive protection/ Heuristic is good with a low rate of FP's. The dynamic signatures check (some type of in the cloud technology) for suspicious files is a nice addction. The only thing that maintain it far away from my PC is the "Spynet" (suggestive name not is?). If there is a option to turn it off...

Speakin in Avira, the beta test (closed) for the V10 started. The gui has changed. Now have a black theme.

some screenshots here:

http://anonymz.com/?http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=258366&page=2

I think the behaviour block module will be in this version. At least i wish this.

Quite shocked by Norton's poor results. They really need to import PC Tools technology into NIS/NAV to make it better than this.

Only thing is that AV Comparatives didn't test the latest 17.1.0.19 which has improved SONAR (pro-active) detection.

Quite shocked by Norton's poor results. They really need to import PC Tools technology into NIS/NAV to make it better than this.

Only thing is that AV Comparatives didn't test the latest 17.1.0.19 which has improved SONAR (pro-active) detection.

They did not also use the latest version of Kaspersky AntiVirus which is .736 they used the version .463 which had so many bugs I can not remember but that does not matter because it scored excellent, it is one of the best in this test.

They're using old engines and old virus signatures to scan modern malware...

Just the definition of a proactive test ¬¬

• Administrator

MSSE sucks. Even after the second try. It's very bad. Useless.

• Administrator

You use the search button effectively. :P

ANW here is what happened -

1) As mentioned before, when I installed it, my Live Protection is disabled. Even restartin didn't work. I was not even able to access the settings. They were disabled.

2) Now I was able to make it work after my first update from the link you gave me. When I tried to update it's definitions, it took 10-15mins to show me that it is unable to contact the internet or similar. the offline update worked.

3) Now even after gettin eveythin right, on every restart, my live protection get disabled even when I selected not to do so.

4) Last and the most important thingy, one file which is the main component, I forgot it's name, was takin about or more than 150MB of virtual memory at normal without any scannin or live protection and I found out that that there was no way that I can make it use less.

@ Joa.Ce

I agree that a pro-active test involves using old signitures. But I don't agree that pro-active test involves using old engines. Since the newer Norton improves SONAR detection which is secifically designed for pro-active defense, that just proves my point. Anyway, I guess AV Comparatives when they tested it was the newest version of Norton so not their fault. :)

4) Last and the most important thingy, one file which is the main component, I forgot it's name, was takin about or more than 150MB of virtual memory at normal without any scannin or live protection and I found out that that there was no way that I can make it use less.

Thanks for listing your four problems with your second try of MSSE. Wow, 150 MB of virtual memory without even doing anything is just far too much! :o

• Administrator

Indeed. I still have it on my PC, but not allowed to run. :bag:

I wonder if Avira is as light as ESET. thinking-021.gif

Avira is fast, just can't handle the adware nuisance. Also from what I saw in recent versions, I don't believe there is a way to disable scanning inside zipped files. thinking-021.gif

Also take a look at the removal tests as well. Equally as important as the detection tests.

http://av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/removal-tests

I am impressed at how well MS Security Essentials performed here.

30cnnma.png

You may check whatever it was previously installed and make sure that it has been uninstalled correctly.. It may not allow you to run several at once, especially if settings are interfering with the Security Center.. or another protection like HIPS based.. is denying the software access to even alter/change or scan files.. which may be the thing your noticing with the large RAM consumption.. the program is faulting.. I know you made sure you downloaded the right one..

Archived