Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1611.0

Bizarre™

• Administrator

Well I used it. Had to remove it in two hours and switched back to MBAM. The reasons -

1) When I installed it, my Live Protection is disabled. Even restartin didn't work. I was not even able to access the settings. They were disabled.

2) When I installed it, it somehow managed to Enable Automatic Updates from services.msc. :o . That I didn't wanted.

3) When I tried to update it's definitions, it took 10-15mins to show me that it is unable to contact the internet or similar.

4) I am too busy to reinstall the program, if there were any problems during the first installation.

The answer I got from the Help section for the problems was either any other malware protection program has to be disabled or the MSSE has to be reinstalled.

I think it was expected, it a MS software, they invented the problems in computer. :angry:

I'm really angry now but I will try it again after a few days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, you probably would be able to have a rifle in each arm, and press the trigger at almost the same time. But, to tell you the truth, that's not using two rifles at the same time properly. For properly using a rifle you need both arms and hands. You have to aim it, and shoot it, that requires the use of both arms and hands.

Two anti-viruses running in a computer are interfering with each other. I know it's not good. But, you're free to do with your PC what ever you want. Now, if you really want to test MSE, you should install it alone, have it running alone. Then, after two or three days you can decide if you want to keep it or not.

Well believe it or not .. that is not true.. You can pull the triggers at the same time..and you may find that there is more to protecting a computer than just AV..I do however see it as a waste to run two programs at once.. I use one that has the highest on average of all of them in all areas..I feel that would be the best protection and knowledge that would help you protect your system better..Lot of things to consider... but everyone chooses to do what they want .. ad whatever they feel is needed...

My decision goes a little farther beyond just a placement on a score board but rationalization on the results...

GDATA Total Security is a prime example of running two AV engines at once..along with a culmination of tools including backup and registry protection.. a lot in one package..Good I have tried it .. Liked it but it was more than what I needed.. if I had a little better system I would probably use it...

Wow, how did I miss this post before? Good information here.

I'm really angry now but I will try it again after a few days.

DKT27, have you tried installing Microsoft Security Essentials again?

• Administrator

Nah didn't got time for it.

When I will install it again, I will reply with a proper review. ;)

Yeah, you probably would be able to have a rifle in each arm, and press the trigger at almost the same time. But, to tell you the truth, that's not using two rifles at the same time properly. For properly using a rifle you need both arms and hands. You have to aim it, and shoot it, that requires the use of both arms and hands.

Two anti-viruses running in a computer are interfering with each other. I know it's not good. But, you're free to do with your PC what ever you want. Now, if you really want to test MSE, you should install it alone, have it running alone. Then, after two or three days you can decide if you want to keep it or not.

Well believe it or not .. that is not true.. You can pull the triggers at the same time..and you may find that there is more to protecting a computer than just AV..I do however see it as a waste to run two programs at once.. I use one that has the highest on average of all of them in all areas..I feel that would be the best protection and knowledge that would help you protect your system better..Lot of things to consider... but everyone chooses to do what they want .. ad whatever they feel is needed...

My decision goes a little farther beyond just a placement on a score board but rationalization on the results...

GDATA Total Security is a prime example of running two AV engines at once..along with a culmination of tools including backup and registry protection.. a lot in one package..Good I have tried it .. Liked it but it was more than what I needed.. if I had a little better system I would probably use it...

Technically I agree with you.. ( forgot the part about the sites.. ) trying to run two of them together can and will create an issue.. this issue however is worked out with GDATA, in that the two engines A, and B work together.. Now running your own combination of AV software together that was not designed to do so.. IS NOT something I would say you can do reasonably.. without severe problems..

If you ever get a chance to use GDATA you will see what I mean..but it is possible.. maybe just not like people mean it to be defined as..

Microsoft Security Essentials seems to be an extremely good antivirus. According to AV-Comparatives, it even beat out ESET. MSE achieved ADVANCED+ which is the highest ranking.

Source

Microsoft Security Essentials seems to be an extremely good antivirus. According to AV-Comparatives, it even beat out ESET. MSE achieved ADVANCED+ which is the highest ranking.

Source

This is great news, good thing I threw out MBAM and use MSE + ESET now. :lol:

• Administrator

I think I will give it another try. In 24 hours. Lets see if it works this time.

I think I will give it another try. In 24 hours. Lets see if it works this time.

Let us know how it goes on your second try, DKT27. I am very tempted to get rid of ESET on my two PCs and switch to MSE.

• Administrator

Really really thanx for the info. I will do a manual update when I install it. Plus repped.

bearoninternet

Í'm curious why people seem to be switching av lately.

Not too long ago most agreed to choose between eset or kaspersky.

Almost like a religion. :pope:

Then some people started preaching avira, or even vipre.

Norton, which always had been bloatware, was put back on track.

And now there is microsoft security essentials & gdata.

I like to keep an open mind and i am aware times they are changing.

Dont get me wrong, i am not starting a flamewar on what av is best.

I just wonder if this is about adding something new, better or just testing .:think:

To me chosing an av is more then just based on the best latest av-testresults.

Trust is important, covered by overall av-testresults & own experience from a long period in time (lets say years).

Because of that i dont feel the urge to switch av, but keep posting, it's interesting.:read:

Really really thanx for the info. I will do a manual update when I install it. Plus repped.

You're welcome. And congratulations on post number 3,000 !!

• Administrator

@bearoninternet: Leet mentioned it works with ESET, that is why I'm usin it. Otherwise no way I can use any other by removin ESET.

@Night Owl: Thanx, I just saw that. :D

• 3 months later...

Archived