Windows 10 KB4507453 Cumulative Update Causes Restart Alert Loop

steven36

The Windows 10 KB4507453 Cumulative Update released by Microsoft on July 9 is reportedly causing a restart notification loop on some of the computers where it was installed.

https://s7d3.turboimg.net/sp/cd70cefa6d49276f37e9523ed086a406/778f.jpg

This issue was reported by Windows users on several websites and computer support forums across the web [1, 2, 3], with all of them describing the exact same problem — being told to reboot their devices again to finish installing the KB4507453 update even though it was already installed.

While multiple Windows 10 Version 1903 and Windows Server Version 1903 users have been already impacted by this issue according to their reports, Microsoft has not yet publicly confirmed the restart notification loop problem they experienced.

Not all systems where KB4507453 is installed to be affected

Also, according to German blogger Günter Born who initially reported the reboot loop issue, not all users of Windows 10 version 1903 who install this cumulative update will be affected given that he wasn't able to reproduce the bug on his test systems.

The update information doesn't include any info on changes made to the Windows 10 notification system or the update installation procedure that could be behind this glitch.

As detailed on the KB4507453 update's entry on Microsoft's support website, it comes with the following highlights:

• Addresses an issue that may cause BitLocker to go into recovery mode if BitLocker is being provisioned at the same time as updates are being installed. 
  • Addresses an issue that may cause Mixed Reality users to see a tilted world after connecting their headsets. 
  • Addresses visual quality issues some users may have seen with Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets and Steam®VR content. 
  • Security updates to Windows Wireless Networking, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Server, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Kernel, Microsoft HoloLens, Internet Explorer, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Virtualization, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Microsoft Edge, and Windows Cryptography.

Available workarounds

Born says that there are at least two possible workarounds to get rid of the irritating alerts continuously nagging users to restart their systems.

The first is to click the "Restart Now" button on the notification dialog itself generated by the Windows 10 Notification Center instead of trying to restart the system from the Start menu.

A second workaround consists of checking again for system updates via Windows Update, as discovered by heise online's Jan Schüßler. This allows the OS to see that no new updates are available and that no other restarts are needed given that all previous updates were installed.

This might also happen on its own after some time once Windows will check for updates on its own, although it may take hours for some of the affected Windows users.

More issues caused by July's Cumulative Updates

Other monthly rollups, security-only updates, and cumulative updates (i.e., KB4503293KB4503327, and KB4503286) released on June 11 are behind an issue already confirmed by Redmond and impacting multiple Windows 10 Server versions.

This new known issue acknowledged today by Microsoft may block devices from booting if they're using Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) images from Windows Deployment Services (WDS) servers or System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM).

Cumulative update KB4507469 is behind another known issue causing a small number of devices to potentially "startup to a black screen during the first logon after installing updates."

To bypass this black screen, users can "press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, then select the Power button in the lower right corner of the screen and select Restart," with the device restarting normally afterwards.

Microsoft says that is currently working on resolutions for both these known issues, to be made available with an upcoming Windows 10 release.

Source

• Replies 5
  • Views 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally awesome, some kind of mess, ... I do not understand....
All I install, no matter, usually on several computers, never no problems. At least till now have never been.
And then will start new stories about where and what doesn't work again. It's a mess, I want to see these problems! What should I do to see them?

• Tell me very exactly with what computers these problems happens. 
  • Not need to shout - "on some computer", "on some cases" etc. 
  • What are the computers, on what cases? Where is it written?

that bug exist since the begin of Windows 10 and its just a glitch of the notifications in the action center menu, nothing critical.

51 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Totally awesome, some kind of mess, ... I do not understand....
All I install, no matter, usually on several computers, never no problems. At least till now have never been.
And then will start new stories about where and what doesn't work again. It's a mess, I want to see these problems! What should I do to see them?

• Tell me very exactly with what computers these problems happens. 
  • Not need to shout - "on some computer", "on some cases" etc. 
  • What are the computers, on what cases? Where is it written?

Its software news we post  software problems and things that are not problems in this sub forum if you dont want to see reports of such things i suggest you not go in the topics. Why do every time someone post something that don't look like a Microsoft AD glorifying Windows 10 you  Windows 10 fanboys complain?

1. Tell me how many how many of you bought windows vs pirating it?
  2. If you don't buy Windows you look silly getting all offensive about something you stole.
  3.   if you pirate Windows you don't make Microsoft no Money and that's why it became the ad infested ,spyware , bug ridden POS  of a OS it is.  They cant make no money on it  because consumers  not buying it no more since Windows 7 .
  4. They couldn't sell Windows 8.1 hardly and they couldn't give Windows 10 away even and millions of people are stealing Enterprise versions because the Home version is a crap shoot.
  5. I fell sorry for people still stuck in Microshaft's ecosystem in 2019 . I really do but being a fan of such is just pure ignorance.
  6. I never pirated Windows tell this day all my copies was/is legal and  spend 1000s of dollars on PC and all they could give me is ad infested ,spyware , bug ridden POS  called Windows 10 and try to force it down my throat so i stop using Windows 10 over a year ago . These are not my problems there Windows 10 users problems . I only post the news.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:01 PM, steven36 said:

Also, according to German blogger Günter Born who initially reported the reboot loop issue, not all users of Windows 10 version 1903 who install this cumulative update will be affected given that he wasn't able to reproduce the bug on his test systems.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:20 PM, Kalju said:

Tell me very exactly with what computers these problems happens. 

I don't know if this latest update changed build number, my current build is 18362.239. on a Windows 10 Home. Didn't experiment this reboot issue.  Updated yesterday because  was working with my WINDOWS 7 COMPUTER and my laptop remained turned off since about 2  weeks.

Did experiment this restart problem ONCE in some previous update but not  anu mor.

I have a different problem with Windows 10 KB4507453.  On my Lenovo laptop it has failed every day for the last 5 days.  Every time on the final boot I get error code 0x800f0922 (which means not enough free space) and Windows recovery takes over to back out the cumulative update.  

Archived