Mozilla is launching curated Recommended Extensions program this summer

steven36

However much you love your chosen web browser, you have probably enhanced its capabilities through the use of add-ons. Finding decent, reliable add-ons can be tricky, and this is why Mozilla is launching the Recommended Extensions program.

This editor-curated program will surface the very best vetted extensions for Firefox, and it is due to roll out in stages later this summer.

Mozilla says that any extensions it recommends through the program will be highlighted across its portfolio of websites and products, including addons.mozilla.org (AMO) and on Firefox's Get Add-Ons page. The company is already identifying extensions it likes the look of, and will soon be reaching out to developers. Changes should be seen on AMO around June.

When an extension is chosen, it will be badged to make it easier to identify as a recommendation. Mozilla also says that AMO search results and filtering will be weighted higher toward Recommended extensions

In a blog post, Mozilla's Scott DeVaney explains how extensions will be selected for inclusion in the program:

Editorial staff will select the initial batch of extensions for the Recommended list. In time, we’ll provide ways for people to nominate extensions for inclusion.

When evaluating extensions, curators are primarily concerned with the following:

• Is the extension really good at what it does? All Recommended extensions should not only do what they promise, but be very good at it. For instance, there are many ad blockers out there, but not all ad blockers are equally effective.
  • Does the extension offer an exceptional user experience? Recommended extensions should be delightful to use. Curators look for content that’s intuitive to manage and well-designed. Common areas of concern include the post-install experience (i.e. once the user installs the extension, is it clear how to use it?), settings management, user interface copy, etc.
  • Is the extension relevant to a general audience? The tightly curated nature of Recommended extensions means we will be selective, and will only recommend extensions that are appealing to a general Firefox audience.
  • Is the extension safe? We’re committed to helping protect users against third-party software that may—intentionally or otherwise—compromise user security. Before an extension receives Recommended status, it undergoes a security review by staff reviewers. (Once on the list, each new version of a Recommended extension must also pass a full review.)

Participation in the program will require commitment from developers in the form of active development and a willingness to make improvements.

More details will emerge in the coming months.

Source

• Replies 3
  • Views 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firefox Recommended Extensions program announced

Mozilla, maker of Firefox, plans to establish a Recommended Extensions program for the Firefox web browser this summer.

Extensions are a cornerstone of modern browsers such as Firefox. A lot has changed in the past two years in regards to extensions. Mozilla dropped the extensions system that Firefox used and switched to WebExtensions, a move heralded by some and disliked by others.

The effect was that a number of classic extensions were no longer compatible with Firefox; Mozilla removed these extensions from its add-on repository.

Mozilla changed the review process as well. The organization reviewed each add-on prior to publication on Mozilla AMO, the official add-ons store for Firefox, previously but changed the process to a "publish first review later" system.

Recommended Extensions program

mozilla recommended extensions program firefox

The Recommended Extensions program features a list of curated extensions that meet Mozilla's "highest standards of security, utility, and user experience". A top list of extensions for Firefox that Mozilla plans to promote by increasing their visibility across Mozilla websites and products.

Extensions that are selected for the Recommended Extensions program need to meet certain requirements:

• Requires "commitment from developers". Extensions need to be in active development and developers need to be willed to make improvements.
  • Extension needs to be safe; this is achieved by passing an initial security review and reviews for each update.
  • Extensions need to be relevant, offer exception user experience, and be "really good" at what they do.

Recommended Extensions are promoted in various ways. These extensions receive a special badge, receive higher weighting in searches and filtering, are used to power the "personalized recommendations" section on Firefox's Get Add-ons page, and may be included in Firefox's contextual extension recommendation feature.

Closing words

One of the core distinguishing factors between regular extensions and extensions that recommended extensions is that the latter are reviewed each time they are updated and that they undergo a full security review initially.

The security review makes Recommended Extensions the only extensions on Mozilla AMO that receive manual reviews before they are made available (initially and when updated). It is unclear how much of  a delay this will cause for extension updates though.

Another thing that is not clear is whether the new program will affect featured extensions on Mozilla AMO. Several of these will probably be included in the recommended extensions program.

Source: Firefox Recommended Extensions program announced (gHacks - Martin Brinkmann)

• Administrator

The featured extensions itself is already quite good though.

19 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

The featured extensions itself is already quite good though.

I don't use very many in Firefox  most of mine is to stop ads /bypass  or  to integrate download mangers  and to send links to mpv  .  Most of my addons are classic ones in waterfox   witch it have very high security when i use Firefox i don't use all that because i don't want nothing breaking  the webpages i use  in it  i use it for DRM  and  other things. When I use Tor Browser i only use the default addons that come in it  no adblocker  just No Script and https everywhere.

Archived