what are the ideal AMD operating temperatures?

majithia23

hello friends ,

allright my laptop has an AMD Turion X2 2.2 Ghz processor .

nowadays when i am operating the laptop , the speedfan software reports temp of 85 ' C to 92 ' C !!!!

is it normal ????

and about two months back , when i used to operate it under an air conditioned room and then it used to report around 60 ' C to 75 ' C ...

but that was under a cool enviornment ..

is the speedfan reporting accurate temps ?

what is the best way to monitor core temps ?

thanks guys ...

• Replies 42
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what do you use to report these numbers?.the bios or other programs?

He did say "speedfan", so..

Anyways, I believe this numbers are too much, you should check the bios and see if the numbers match before you take any further action.

He did say "speedfan", so..

Anyways, I believe this numbers are too much, you should check the bios and see if the numbers match before you take any further action.

yes it is the speedfan .

is speed fan compatible with this processor ,

i mean it could be reporting wrong/elevated temperatures ????

@Lohengrin

dude m just a newbie , learning out ,

could just tell me where under bios do we check the core temperatures ?

i mean u log onto bios and then where do you look for it .

thanks ....

hello friends ,

nowadays when i am operating the laptop , the speedfan software reports temp of 85 ' C to 92 ' C !!!!

is it normal ????

and about two months back , when i used to operate it under an air conditioned room and then it used to report around 60 ' C to 75 ' C ...

thanks guys ...

Try to use any versions of Everest. You should have temps @ 60 when its very busy, but when the cooler starts to work at high rpm`s you should have it down bellow 60. This is for a normal environment, depends also what apps you run that might overload your CPU, and also depends about your BIOS settings, i recommend you to Reset Bios settings to default, and install Lavalys Everest, and please post back your temp.

look for ACPI or hardware monitor or something similar in your bios.

hello friends ,

is it normal ????

thanks guys ...

Try to use any versions of Everest. You should have temps @ 60 when its very busy, but when the cooler starts to work at high rpm`s you should have it down bellow 60. This is for a normal environment, depends also what apps you run that might overload your CPU, and also depends about your BIOS settings, i recommend you to Reset Bios settings to default, and install Lavalys Everest, and please post back your temp.

allright ,

mine is an hp lappy.

and when you push the power key ,

a screen displays with hp logo and a prompt --" press escape to enter setup ."

after entering setup ,

it says press F10 for BIOS setup .

under BIOS screen ,

there is system info ,

diagnostics ,

memory test ,

and some more options , ( i dont remember exactly ... )

but there is nothing of like ..." hardware or ACPI info ."

is there any other way of accessing the BIOS ?

or any other way of seeing the core temp ?

@siravecavec

its right , the temp does depend on CPU load .

but i dont think its overloaded .

just the normal sound and graphic drivers , ESET nod32, IOBIT 360 realtime , objectdock, comodo, firefox, wmp .

and yes will try everest .

never did it before .

thanks

This is true.. 60 degrees for y laptop is way over the 40-50 it stabily runs.. Its an Intel but the temps shouldn't be that far off.. I have noticed with mine that a good cleaning ( heat sink and all ), sitting the system on an incline, ( with the back raised a little ) and I unplugged the airway on the bottom directly to the fan.. The three holes that were direct intake for cool air had been closed by the manufacturer, which probably help with dirt but also did not allow for proper cooling..( several flaws wit this system ) lowered my stable temps about 15 degrees...I also had an issue when the fan got dirt in the inside.. I used an air duster to clean the non-moving areas, but when I swabbed the inside of the fan I also wiped away the 'lube'.. so after the fan started acting like it was spun out.. and temps were getting to 75-82.. I coated the inside and spindle with Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W-30 motor oil, just a lite coat.. and I haven't had an issue since..

I would definitely go to default settings if you have altered anything with Speedfan or anything else..and monitor the system first.. then open the panels.. and use an air duster.. possibly some Q-tips.. and clean it .. this can un-restrict the air flow and keep the fan from circulating hot air... which may aid in the cooling process..can't have any area around it blocked either...out or in.. The worst thing is using it sitting on a bed or couch.. like wrapping it in a blanket..

EDIT: Forgot to add what I use for temps monitoring.. I use Samurize and a config to monitor the important stuff in real time.. very low cost to your CPU..and can look anyway you want..

Also use Everest for detailed infos..can also run in your TaskTray..and is configurable.. there are several Sidebar Gadgets out there that can do this..

A very nice small program for laptop monitoring is MobileMeter 0.3.1.0:

softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/MobileMeter.shtml

MobileMeter is a system monitoring tool created for laptop PCs running under the Windows environment. It can show the following information.

· CPU clock

· CPU temperature

· Battery charge/discharge rate

· Battery wear

· HDD temperature

Your high temps might mean you need to clean your heat exchanger and possibly apply new heat past to your CPU.

Also check your HD temperature in case its overheating causing a more elevated CPU reading.

• Administrator

@Majithia: Try to find it in "hardware or ACPI info", in BIOS, if you still cannot find anythin there, just surf the whole BIOS, make sure you don't change any value, just surf and you will see the temp written in degree C. It will tell you about the temp when CPU may not be full used and hence you will able to see the difference.

You can also try Everest that is found on the frontpage.

About SpeedFan, I had used it for once, was good, but felt that it did some changes to my fan speeds, it supported my processor as far I remember, but after I used it, I saw that my fan speed was more then it needed previously, I didn't played with any of it's controls, and my MOBO and CPU supports the fan to get high with high temp and low with low temp. It used to be at 2700RPM before at the low usage but now it's 3000RPM at the lowest.

I'm talkin about my desktop and Intel processor.

@heath28m, @haantjuh, @northboun, @manpe.

thanks guys , for all the alternatives.

trying them out.

will reply soon !:)

If all those programs report high temps then either the sensor or reporting chip are faulty or your laptop is indeed extremely hot.

Does it feel really hot when you touch it? Do you remember it ever being that hot to the touch or is that something new?

You may need to clean out the fan and possibly reapply new thermal paste.

Alot of HP laptops overheat and die so you should correct that issue asap before it kills the motherboard or hdd or some other component.

• Administrator

Applying the heathsink/thermal paste indeed gets the temp down. :yes:

If it's dried too much, etc, it will allow our computer to go to the high temp.

If all those programs report high temps then either the sensor or reporting chip are faulty or your laptop is indeed extremely hot.

Does it feel really hot when you touch it? Do you remember it ever being that hot to the touch or is that something new?

Alot of HP laptops overheat and die so you should correct that issue asap before it kills the motherboard or hdd or some other component.

LOL.. !@#$%^& HP.. :lmao: ... They tend to do a lot of things we don't like..LOL

tried everest and the pc wizard .

both are reporting temp of around 90 'C . :huh:

and yes leet the base of laptop is indeed hot !!! :o

i bought this laptop about 6 months and use to operate in an air conditioned room ,

so never felt hot at that time and also the speedfan reported a temp of 70 to 75 ' C .

but now the a/c is off and i hv noticed temp of 85 'C to 90 'C .

thanks to manpe for the link , just saw that AMD turion does heat up .

mine is RM 72 but the result are for ,

same platform , turion , so the temp result could be same .

am i right ????

also i noticed , that if i run an external fan under the laptop, the temp does drop to 68 to 70 again !!!!

so i am wondering if the internal cooling fans are running at their max :think:

how to check for the fans ?

operating speed / running rpm ?

any control ?

and also can we apply heat sink thermal paste on laptop ?

can we do it on our own ?

need to find a sink for this heat , before any other thing on the lappy goes to sink .............. :nuke:

post-24436-125736129952_thumb.jpg

post-24436-125736131718_thumb.jpg

I am going on the assumption that you have not altered any settings for your fans..If you have you should set them back to defaults as your system should be working as designed.. unless you upgraded the Processor or any other element..

I may be speaking out of turn...BUT.. I would try opening up your laptop.. careful with the screws, make sure you have the right size screwdriver/tool... and do a thorough cleaning.. look for anything odd on the inside.. be sure to gently whisk dirt and dust away, ( Q-tip ) and use a canned Air Duster.. like 3 bucks at your local store..Put it back together and see if it helps... Be sure to write down any part number you have for your fan.. or heat sink and look for those exact parts online .. just in case you need to replace your fan..if in fact.. it is going out on you.. and not working properly..make sure your connections are properly seated as well..

Be sure to clean the fan and fan blades well.. you may .. depending on your model.. need an even smaller screwdriver to remove the fan and fan motor to be able to properly clean it..When you have the case open see where your system pulls air in from.. make sure the manufacturer has not capped any fresh air inlets...I can get a picture to show you what I mean but it should be self explanatory.. If need be.. remove the piece they have used to plug the area and you may have to cut through the heat shielding..( silver foil ).. Keep the plug in case it does the opposite...so that you can replace it.. if it changes the airflow for the worse .. not better..

If not, then I would say that Thermal Paste application would be next...and yeah you should be able to do this on your own from what I gather around the forums..

Next I would look into changing the fan speeds.. with Speedfan or something .. If you just bought this 6 months ago .. it should not already have an issue...and you might want to do a return or exchange.. or look into the warranty ..which you may want to do before you apply paste..

But I would go in that order.. first ..

I am going on the assumption that you have not altered any settings for your fans..If you have you should set them back to defaults as your system should be working as designed.. unless you upgraded the Processor or any other element..

I may be speaking out of turn...BUT.. I would try opening up your laptop.. careful with the screws, make sure you have the right size screwdriver/tool... and do a thorough cleaning.. look for anything odd on the inside.. be sure to gently whisk dirt and dust away, ( Q-tip ) and use a canned Air Duster.. like 3 bucks at your local store..Put it back together and see if it helps... Be sure to write down any part number you have for your fan.. or heat sink and look for those exact parts online .. just in case you need to replace your fan..if in fact.. it is going out on you.. and not working properly..make sure your connections are properly seated as well..

Be sure to clean the fan and fan blades well.. you may .. depending on your model.. need an even smaller screwdriver to remove the fan and fan motor to be able to properly clean it..When you have the case open see where your system pulls air in from.. make sure the manufacturer has not capped any fresh air inlets...I can get a picture to show you what I mean but it should be self explanatory.. If need be.. remove the piece they have used to plug the area and you may have to cut through the heat shielding..( silver foil ).. Keep the plug in case it does the opposite...so that you can replace it.. if it changes the airflow for the worse .. not better..

If not, then I would say that Thermal Paste application would be next...and yeah you should be able to do this on your own from what I gather around the forums..

Next I would look into changing the fan speeds.. with Speedfan or something .. If you just bought this 6 months ago .. it should not already have an issue...and you might want to do a return or exchange.. or look into the warranty ..which you may want to do before you apply paste..

But I would go in that order.. first ..

thanks mate for all the time and effort of yours that you put into typing this thorough and extensive self help guide !!! :thumbsup:

@fl0ppyd1scours3

those temps are for the fire department!! don't know what to tell ya but thats HOT! try using a water/ice cooled solution !! maybe...

LOL..

.and yes , i did not change any fan settings manually . i dont know how to access that control !!

but doubt , if speed fan might have !

so going to restore the bios to default .

and will surely check the fan hardware set up , first thing in morning .

lets see/......

• Administrator

Try to disable the CPU Smart Fan control. Or similar. Disabling it will make your CPU fan run at a full speed it can run on. ;)

Try to disable the CPU Smart Fan control. Or similar. Disabling it will make your CPU fan run at a full speed it can run on. ;)

allrght dkt ,

CPU smart fan control ,,,, but where ????

all also guys ,

here is what is dispalyed in BIOS setup ,

Insyde H20 setup utility

1---Main ---- ( all the system info )

2---Security ----( administrator password and power on password )

3---Diagnostics --( prim HD test and memory test )

4---System configuration ( language , button sound , virtualization , fan always on , boot operation )

5--- Exit

that is it . no other info .

was really keen on seeing the temp under bios . any idea how to ????

and one more thing the everest utility doesnt report fan statistics .

fan rpm speed is empty .

see the attached capture .

why cant it report the fan info ,

although i can feel and hear it running !!!!

any help ???

thanks ..

post-24436-125737230918_thumb.jpg

It just means the fan lacks the ability to report its speed. Not a huge problem. The fan probably just uses 2 power wires alone and no 3rd one for speed reporting. Normally a cpu fan will have 3 pins in the connector, 2 for power and 1 to report the speed.

It just means the fan lacks the ability to report its speed. Not a huge problem. The fan probably just uses 2 power wires alone and no 3rd one for speed reporting. Normally a cpu fan will have 3 pins in the connector, 2 for power and 1 to report the speed.

thanks leetpirate !

gosh ,,, m learning so many new things !!!:)

well he needs to feel the speed of the fans or his system will meltdown turn computer off goto bestbuy if you have 2 ;)

well i am turning it off , for the night .

come morning and i am going to unscrew the fan cover and see what the hell is bugging inside ,! :huh:

thanks leetpirate !

gosh ,,, m learning so many new things !!!:)

well i did just post my bios screen display and in it there is no way of seeing the temp setting .

any help guys , where i can have access to it ???

although speedfan and everest do report same , but just for my self satisfaction want to see the system display !!

thankss..

• Administrator

This make me feel that CPU smart fan control that is found in BIOS cannot be enable here. :think:

Archived