How to check your IP address in Windows 10

The AchieVer

How to check your IP address in Windows 10 

IMG_0701-e1502720854530-773x580.jpg

Checking your IP address: it’s an often-mentioned activity that still has the potential to confuse you with technical jargon. In this guide, we’ll walk you through finding the IP address of your current device, both on your local network, and on the wider Internet.

First, let’s talk about IPs themselves. Put simply, an IP address is a unique identifier assigned to your device by the network it’s connected to. Each time you connect a PC, phone or tablet to your Wi-Fi, your router will hand the device an IP address. This enables the device to receive traffic over the network and broadcast its presence to others – so you can stream media from a network drive to your phone, for instance.

The same model applies on the global internet. Your Wi-Fi router is given its own IP address by your internet service provider as part of a dynamic allocation process. This external IP is used for all traffic originating from your Wi-Fi – all your devices will display the same public IP.

Finding your public IP address

On to finding out what your IP address is. Getting your public IP is easy – head to a search engine, such as Bing, and type “what is my ip address.” Most popular search engines now include this feature, so you should see your IP displayed at the top of the page.

Checking public IP address using Bing (real IP obfuscated)

You might need to know your public IP address if you’re hosting an internet server at home. If you’re running a multiplayer game lobby, for example, you’ll need to share your public IP with other players so they can find your server and connect.

Finding local network IP addresses for your devices

To find the local network IP address of a Windows 10 device, it’s often simplest to use the Command Prompt. Type “cmd” into the Start menu and press enter. In the terminal window that appears, type “ipconfig” and press enter.

This output may look complicated, but you don’t need to worry too much about it. The important line is “IPv4 Address,” which shows the IP your device has been assigned by your router. You may also want to take note of the “Default Gateway,” which is usually the address of the router itself.

Checking IP address in Command Prompt

It’s worth noting that the output of “ipconfig” might display several listings, instead of the single one shown in our screenshot. A new section is displayed for each network connection on your device – if you have both Wi-Fi and wired Ethernet, two adapters will be displayed. Just look for the one you’re using; inactive adapters will display “Media disconnected.”

This IP address is how your device presents itself to others within your home. Returning to the previous analogy, if you’re hosting a family game server you may need to share your local IP address with family members so they are able to connect.

Finally, it’s worth noting that most wireless routers allow you to view a complete list of all connected devices. This will give you a quick reference for all assigned IP addresses. In addition, routers should usually display their own external IP address on the wider Internet – this might be labelled “WAN Address” or something similar.

The steps to access your router’s control panel vary by brand and specific model, but generally you can find them by visiting the router’s IP address in a web browser. As we noted earlier, the router’s IP is usually the “Default Gateway” shown in Windows’ “ipconfig” output, so in this example we’d expect to find the router’s control panel at “http://192.168.0.254”.

Source

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone know how to perform port forwarding and which IP should I use, the local machine or the WAN IP? 

I often lost IP-adress , after reboot , Im on a "cabled" modum.........

Any advice or solution............???   :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, mjall said:

does anyone know how to perform port forwarding and which IP should I use, the local machine or the WAN IP

Maybe this helps

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/general-port-forwarding-guide/

1 hour ago, Pete 12 said:

I often lost IP-adress , after reboot , Im on a "cabled" modum.........

Any advice or solution............???  

Could you specify what that means.
Does it means that pc can't find the right IP address and don't connect you to the internet (then the computer settings problem is usually).
Or you forget yourself something.

PS. Usually You can log in to Your router using 192.168.1.1, then You'll be redirected to correct settings page. For example my current router is here (though I use at moment cable, it doesn't have no matter).

I'll be redirected to http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp and if I log in, I'll see that: 

Spoiler

download (1).png

" Does it means that pc can't find the right IP address and don't connect you to the internet "...............yep, thats the problem , not always but often though................

19 minutes ago, Pete 12 said:

" Does it means that pc can't find the right IP address and don't connect you to the internet "...............yep, thats the problem , not always but often though................

I also have one computer that sometimes overlooks/forget Wi-Fi settings and then usually "Troubleshoot problems" helps. But sometimes I have reset manually.
It is difficult to give good instructions here because it's different on different computers.
The problem is probably whether the settings are saved before closing the computer, but I'm not 100% sure, is this the case. Maybe there are those, who can share better advice.

" The problem is probably whether the settings are saved before closing the computer "...............how to safe them for next reboot ? Is it possible to create a fixed IP , why does it has to change each time ....?

@Pete 12     Usually the IP doesn't change, for example in my case, but I have discovered, that sometimes are settings, usually only some of them changed. I haven't still found what the reason. And it depends most likely only of the computer itself. I think so, because it happens only on one computer. I have changed router but problem exist, also have tried different Wi-Fi drivers, but nothing changed.
Sometimes have no problems for several months, sometimes is proble after every reboot.
So, that's my case or problem. But it isn't very annoying, because I use this computer for testing purposes only.

Maybe you are on deepfreeze or shadow defender locked modes...

Don't see why any ip configurations may not be saved.. albeit bad OS or hardware

2 hours ago, Kalju said:

Maybe this helps

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/general-port-forwarding-guide/

Reveal hidden contents

download (1).png

thanks infact I am using a host name from noip, my main difficulty is which tcp and udp ports to select to make it work, as that is never mentioned on their website considering I am using Kaon AR4040 router which they do not have listed on their database

sorry but kaon seems to be a an unpopular brand.. you need to find its homepage and find documentation there

try my link above again 

Archived